Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
“what are some status items my teenage girl should bring to
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:21 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Cute linen (can be cheap from target)
A collage of her family
A canvas fold up chair for outside
Nice pjs (not just an old tee shirt...)
Short rain boots

Another vote for all of these. I dont know whats the thing today but I was so jealous of those girls who had the colorful linen and the fold up chair

happyone

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:29 pm
I òften wonder if it's the parents or the children that create the NEED to fit in.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:31 pm
joss3 wrote:
My first time camper wants to bring drawers but I’m not sure how to pack them.
Do I send the drawers filled as a piece of luggage? Or buy a massive duffel to put the drawers into?

Please advise Smile

Fill them up and put packing tape over the drawers to seal them and send just like that. When she gets to camp shes already halfway unpacked

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:05 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Me thinks thou protests too much. Guilty conscience?

Nope! What on earth for? Because I was maskim to purchase 2 pairs of $30 ugly sweatpants (to a kid who in general works hard and is overall a good kid and tries to do the right thing even though he is lazy by nature.... why shouldn’t we get him something extra sometimes?)* And please.... stop being nasty behind the amother disguise.

*Oh. And by the way, you should get your kids something extra once in a while ANYWAY— even if they don’t work hard, or anything like that. You can do nice things for them “just because”

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:06 pm
happyone wrote:
I òften wonder if it's the parents or the children that create the NEED to fit in.

None of the above; it's human nature.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:11 pm
happyone wrote:

Teenage hood can be a very awkward time. 12, 13... we all grow up eventually (hopefully).

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:20 pm
happyone wrote:

I don't know, but my mother was always the type to not care about these things and guess what? I suffered for it. Because other girls do create social status based on these things, right or wrong.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:42 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Teenage hood can be a very awkward time. 12, 13... we all grow up eventually (hopefully).

Yes like my son Wanted to take natives to camp because in the past he saw kids wearing them and some kids in our neighborhood have. Besides for the fact they are expensive I don’t want to send him to camp with something that will be immature and give him a harder time to break in. I think it’s a good thing for parents to have their kids backs. I’m the furthest thing from a helicopter parent - but I feel like I should do my part to help him adjust and fit in. Especially if it’s just a $20 pair of slippers, $17 sports pants and $5 camp chair. It’s not exactly like I’m breaking the bank on luxuries.

I don’t know these things and don’t have many irl fiends who do so where better to ask then imamother.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:10 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
No that’s not what a status item means. Do you know what the word status means?

Yup. I do. Do you?

sky

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:15 am
Btw - my opinion on this evolved drastically. Had you told me a few years ago I’d do reasearch on what to send my son to camp and actually buy it I wouldn’t have believed you in a million years.
But as parents we have to do what is best for each individual child even if it goes against our own nature.

Mevater

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:17 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Camp is a special kind of bubble.

It would be shame for a 12 year old to have to spend 3-4 weeks learning how to deal with not having what the other 11 kids in the bunk have - when having those things is very doable if you have the knowledge up front. We aren't talking about spending $200 on a tshirt.

+1000000000000

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:20 am
sky wrote:
Thank you! I saw this in another thread also so I guess that is what to get. Plus it’s cheaper. Smile.

And I just bought my son both🙈. He’s kind of a nerd and it’s his first year and I just really want to make sure he fits in.

amother teal, now is your cue to chime in and tell me how I’m a bad mother and I’m teaching him the wrong values.

queen esther

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 3:38 am
Reading this conversation and totally baffled. My kids are younger and not at this stage yet. The only knowledge of camp I have are 2 yrs in Midwest and 4 in the Catskills 15 yrs ago or more. There was none of this need for certain things.. You brought what you needed however you like it and that's that. I had no pressure of wanting "in" things just wanted fun practical stuff. I could see wanting to know what ppl bring as a new camp goer cuz you don't know what it's like but when did it become so specific??? Not criticizing OP or any of you, honestly if it's like you say I'd be super worried myself if I had to get a kid ready. Just want to know when this happened and is it coming from girls everywhere? Do even out of town girls and parents feel this way? I'm scared how it will be when my kids are old enough!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 5:20 am
I am fascinated that 11 year old boys know the brand names of sweatpants. And I assume that natives are a kind of shoe. (I was having very politically incorrect visions of packing up Native Americans!) This kind of brand awareness can't be a good thing and it's likely to get worse with time.

And yes, I think it's lovely to buy your daughter fun stuff for camp - not to have exactly the same as everyone else, but to feel a little indulged.

Let her come to Target with you and pick out a few nice things. And don't forget to send her packages while she's there. Getting fun nail polish or hair accessories in the mail really means a lot to kids.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:09 am
I’m confused - maybe my Memories are the exception. When I was in camp over 20 years ago every year there was the IT skirt and the IT sweatshirt and the IT sandal. If you didn’t have it you survived but brand preference still existed back then. (I never did have it and was fine with that).
Does no one else remember it?

having a specific brand of clothing be in style each year isn’t new to this generation.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:23 am
sky wrote:
I’m confused - maybe my Memories are the exception. When I was in camp over 20 years ago every year there was the IT skirt and the IT sweatshirt and the IT sandal. If you didn’t have it you survived but brand preference still existed back then. (I never did have it and was fine with that).

having a specific brand of clothing be in style each year isn’t new to this generation.

30 years ago too.

aricelli

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:40 am
sky wrote:

I was wondering the same... it was important for me to fit in as a teen so I can understand my kids wanting that too- it’s funny- I think theyre way better than me!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:22 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
30 years ago too.

Fifty years ago Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But seriously, perhaps the use of "status" has thrown some women into a turmoil. There have always been items that tweens and teens (and let's face it even adults) spot and identify with.

In a compressed time situation such as camp, you don't have much time to discover the inner person so more superficial markers of identity like clothing styles become more important.

Some of the items seem to have more to do with comfort than style per se like a folding chair and a little rug and some of the items might be used for more than just camp like clothing, shoes or even linen.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 1:16 pm
Ladies, ladies, ladies....to those of you who are lecturing OP and others that all this shtus and nonsense is unecessary, take a walk in my shoes.
I was the biggest nerd going to camp. I was overweight, socially akward, you get the picture. My mother thought the same way you did...why bother...right? Too much money, teach her values, not important...what could possibly go wrong?
I'll tell you. I had the summer from hell. I was the fool wearing button down blouses with collars, while everyone wore tee shirts. I had the wrong sneakers, unmatched towels and linen, no rugs, cute accessories. NOTHING. I am still scarred for life over 30 years later. I was the butt of everyones humor, I was made fun of. I was a nerd, even my friends unfriended me. Yes I know, it's not good middos, blah blah blah, but guess what. When my kid goes to camp this summer for the first time, DS and DD will iyh have whatever he or she needs to insure tha they fit in. For a small price, I am giving my kids the tools that they need to fit in, so they never ever experience the pain that their mother went through
Walk a mile in my shoes, and then you'll tell me how you feel...

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 11:52 pm
I know this is an old post....I am scrambling to get my son and daughter ready for camp. I keep seeing this "nosh box" idea. What size? I was thinking 30 quarts but now am wondering if that is to small. Do the boys also take?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children