Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Who goes to the country these days?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:22 pm
Was having the following thought yesterday.

Nowadays life is so expensive that an average family needs two salaries. Therefore, they can’t really spend all their summer in the country (maybe only shabbos).

Lots of people that used to live in Brooklyn and moved oot won’t likely go to the country anymore (maybe I’m wrong) cause they basically live the country lifestyle all year around.

Let’s say teachers and rebbis are the kind of population that would still be able to go (no work during the summer). How can they afford?

All that makes me wonder what kind of people go to the country and if it’s a concept that is growing (concept of being away from home for 2 months)

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:35 pm
rebbis that go to camp work as rebbi there & get paid & dont pay for bungalow & food, all is free. Even their kids daycamp & camp there is free.

Same with other jobs like Directors, camp managers that fix stuff, cooks/bakers, Head of sports/ head lifeguards/ nurse/emt/camp mother. Head of crafts etc.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:40 pm
I think concept is not growing. I think years ago it was more popular. I think many more stay in city these days

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lots of people that used to live in Brooklyn and moved oot won’t likely go to the country anymore (maybe I’m wrong) cause they basically live the country lifestyle all year around.

This. I'm not from the sort of community that you are thinking of, but my family did have a little summer house in "the country" outside the city. When we moved to the suburbs, we sold the summer house. We had plenty of fresh air, a yard, safe neighborhood, nearby pool...no need to go to the country.

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:46 pm
I honestly don’t know how people afford it if their not working . It’s thousands of dollars and that’s on top of your rent / mortgage.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:50 pm
I know wealthy people in Lakewood that leave their beautiful humongous homes and move into a trailer for 2 months. More heimish types of families. I don’t get it because I didn’t grow up doing. But there are huge groups that go. Mothers don’t work. Husbands are self employeed or work for frum businesses with lots of flexibility.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 4:07 pm
I think there are a couple of crowds. The ones who scrimp and scrounge for the money to spend a month in a broken down hovel like the bungalows back in the days. And the ones who can afford the nice new summer homes in the nicer colonies/ developments. And as mentioned, all the camp staffers. Definitely mostly in towners who are desperate for some greenery and fresh air.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 4:11 pm
Men stay in city to work all week & only come out for the weekend every week

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 5:20 pm
Maybe I’m unique but I bought mine many years ago when the market in that colony was bad it was less than $25,000. We got a loan for half of that so we didn’t have to put so much down. Also there is a small rental that covers 3/4 of the yearly maintenance. So there were actually years it was cheaper to be upstate since day camp there is much cheaper.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 5:55 pm
Going to the country used to be almost a cheaper alternative to air conditioning. Also, pollution in the city was much worse, and the city would stink the most in the summer. Nowadays it is kind of outdated, but people still go because it's enjoyable.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 5:58 pm
dankbar wrote:
Men stay in city to work all week & only come out for the weekend every week

OP's claim was that most families now are double wage earners just to get by.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 5:58 pm
Some women do work during the year but not in the summer, and some can work from home or from the bungalow.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:20 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
I honestly don’t know how people afford it if their not working . It’s thousands of dollars and that’s on top of your rent / mortgage.

We live in a tiny 6th floor apt. come summer my husband works like a dog in a camp. we get food and board. get a little salary. covers about 1 month of rent. between side jobs he does in camp, my salary (I work as well) and tips we just about cover the other month of rent, daycamp for kids and transportation. B'H we are lucky that we don't stay with a 'hole'.
But going upsate is pretty high priority for us. my husband lives for it (despite him working like crazy) and kids have where to run around. its a tradeoff but well worth it.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:24 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Maybe I’m unique but I bought mine many years ago when the market in that colony was bad it was less than $25,000. We got a loan for half of that so we didn’t have to put so much down. Also there is a small rental that covers 3/4 of the yearly maintenance. So there were actually years it was cheaper to be upstate since day camp there is much cheaper.

I’m paying the same amount for a half a summer day camp in the country as a full summer day camp in the city. Country is double the price day camp.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:25 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
OP's claim was that most families now are double wage earners just to get by.

That's true, but they aren't necessarily the ones going upstate. Or, the women have jobs upstate. There are therapists and teachers who work in a school during the year and do summer work upstate. Other women are self employed in jobs they can take with them. But I do think many families in the nice new summer homes are sahm whose husbands earn on the high end.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:48 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I’m paying the same amount for a half a summer day camp in the country as a full summer day camp in the city. Country is double the price day camp.

Probably different if you go to a summer home or old dinky bungalow like I do. (I think I pay around $450 for the whole summer which is much less than the city)

pizza4

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:52 pm
There are lots of jobs in camps that can enable families to go upstate for the summer and even make it worthwhile. Its wonderful for kids to run around in fresh air in a relaxed atmosphere. If you go to a camp then theres no cooking to do. It's good to have a break from routine. Especially if you go with friends. I wouldn't handle being in a rickety bungalow though with thin mattresses and lots of bugs...

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 7:34 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

Well that is quite odd.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 7:51 pm
I loved the subject of your post- "the country" . growing up oin NY we would "go to the country" for the summer and sometimes even for chagim. When I met my dh who was not from NY and I would say "oh we went to the country for etc" he would look ate me and ask- "what country?"- hahaha!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 7:53 pm
I wish we would go to the country just for a Shabbos but the hotels are too expensive Sad. It's hard being in the city all year round, there's no grass, it stinks, there's no open sky and water. I dream of the day we can leave the city for a shabbos in the summer and just breeeeeathe
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics