Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
S/O Varicela Vaccine

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:48 am
My DD got chicken pox when she was 14 months old, she’s now 24.
She got 1 on her nose and 1 on her stomach.
The girl sitting next to her during carpool was 6 yrs old and had full blown chicken pox.
When I took her to the dr., even the dr. wasn’t 100% sure. He said put the rest of your kids with her and if they all get chicken pox, then we’ll know for sure.
Now 23 yrs later
Reading the other post, is she immune.
Or
Because she had such a mild case it’s possible to get chicken pox again.

I’m trying to convince her to get tested.
She’s always “too busy”
Not married but doesn’t live at home.

yerushamama

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:58 am
There is really no way to know without testing.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 4:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DD got chicken pox when she was 14 months old, she’s now 24.
She got 1 on her nose and 1 on her stomach.
The girl sitting next to her during carpool was 6 yrs old and had full blown chicken pox.
When I took her to the dr., even the dr. wasn’t 100% sure. He said put the rest of your kids with her and if they all get chicken pox, then we’ll know for sure.
Now 23 yrs later
Reading the other post, is she immune.
Or
Because she had such a mild case it’s possible to get chicken pox again.

I’m trying to convince her to get tested.
She’s always “too busy”
Not married but doesn’t live at home.

I know ppl who had just one pick and have high immunity levels many years later. Get tested to know but I think she will be fine

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:49 am
I got vaccinated and still got chicken pox twice.

teachkids

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:36 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I got vaccinated and still got chicken pox twice.

If you got it twice then the actual infection didn't give you immunity either. Your body just doesn't build immunity to chicken pox unfortunately.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:50 am
My dd had two pimples on her back. I wouldn't even know it's chickenpox if not for the fact that my other kid had a full-blown case. I tested her immunity a couple of weeks/months later and she is fully immune as if she had a regular case. So you really never know.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:36 am
My DD got chicken pox when she was one week shy of her first birthday. We think she caught it in the emergency room, when I took her along with my foster son, who had fallen in playgroup and broken his arm. (she got the chicken pox the exact # of days of incubation from that day.)

I remember I counted 11 spots. Most of them were on her head, under her hair. Some on her legs.

My pediatrician said he considers her immune and did not give her the vaccine.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My dd had two pimples on her back. I wouldn't even know it's chickenpox if not for the fact that my other kid had a full-blown case. I tested her immunity a couple of weeks/months later and she is fully immune as if she had a regular case. So you really never know.

I had the exact same experience. My sisters all had full blown cases, and I had 3 spots on me. My OB ran a titer check with my first pregnancy & the results came back as fully immune.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:40 am
teachkids wrote:
If you got it twice then the actual infection didn't give you immunity either. Your body just doesn't build immunity to chicken pox unfortunately.

With the measles, they were saying that once the body is primed with the vaccine, even if you get the measles afterward, it won't give lifelong immunity. I don't know why but that's what I read/heard from all the provax materials why it's still important to be vaccinated and check titers regularly.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:43 am
teachkids wrote:

I have had the same experience with a few vaccines that I have gotten multiple times and don't show immunity too. Part of the luckiness of having autoimmune issues I guess.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:45 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
With the measles, they were saying that once the body is primed with the vaccine, even if you get the measles afterward, it won't give lifelong immunity. I don't know why but that's what I read/heard from all the provax materials why it's still important to be vaccinated and check titers regularly.

Balderdash. There are people who had the measles before ever getting a vaccine and didn't build immunity. What is true is that the people who had the vaccine and still got the measles have a much greater chance of being from those people who just don't build immunity easily towards certain viruses.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:47 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I have had the same experience with a few vaccines that I have gotten multiple times and don't show immunity too. Part of the luckiness of having autoimmune issues I guess.

Just wanted to say I gave you a real hug, not passive aggressive. I cannot imagine going through life with a poor immune system. I hope more research is done so that maybe one day you will be able to build immunity better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics