Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Baking Challot in Israel

wellaways

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:14 am
We FINALLY got our Lift, B"H, three months after we made aliyah. I'm sooooo excited to have my kitchen back but I'm vexed when it comes to baking bread now. We are in a very small space and only have one of those big-ish toaster ovens. Can I even bake bread in this? In America I was living in a basement apartment and always has to proof/rise with the oven open and a heater going in the kitchen because of how cold it was. Any tips for proofing and rising now that I live in the the hottest place on Earth?
We are craving homemade challah so bad!!!!

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:22 am
Well, I'd say, buy the ingredients and do a test run during the week. It should be possible to bake bread in a big toaster oven. Might not come out as good as in a normal oven and maybe you have to try a few times with different baking temperatures to get it right, but it's still worth a try.
I don't know what proof is in this context (English is not my first language), but I've never had problems with the dough rising, especially in summer, and I bake challot almost every week.

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:52 am
It's Israel- knock on your neighbour's door (if they're religious) and ask if you can use their oven. That's what I'd do.

salt

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:00 am
Israeli_C wrote:
It's Israel- knock on your neighbour's door (if they're religious) and ask if you can use their oven. That's what I'd do.

If it's a temporary situation until she gets a regular oven, I'd say yes, ask your neighbour.
But I'm not sure I'd appreciate my neighbour popping in every Friday to use my oven to bake her challot.
(Maybe I'd schedule a time with her on Wednesday or Thursday, but not Fridays - my oven is in use almost the whole day!)

wellaways

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:04 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
Well, I'd say, buy the ingredients and do a test run during the week. It should be possible to bake bread in a big toaster oven. Might not come out as good as in a normal oven and maybe you have to try a few times with different baking temperatures to get it right, but it's still worth a try.
I don't know what proof is in this context (English is not my first language), but I've never had problems with the dough rising, especially in summer, and I bake challot almost every week.

Yes it's looking like I'll just have to try it out a few times. I can't find anything on the web about toaster oven vs regular oven. Was hoping to skip this step! Oh well.

wellaways

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:05 am
salt wrote:
If it's a temporary situation until she gets a regular oven, I'd say yes, ask your neighbour.
But I'm not sure I'd appreciate my neighbour popping in every Friday to use my oven to bake her challot.
(Maybe I'd schedule a time with her on Wednesday or Thursday, but not Fridays - my oven is in use almost the whole day!)

Definitely not temporary. And our close neighbors are not religious :/

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:28 am
I always proof mine on the counter. It’s always fluffy and yummy.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:34 am
From experience yes you can bake challah in one of those oversized toaster ovens. They are actually a regular oven just counter top. It comes out fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen