Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Wic

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:09 pm
Just started with wic, and I'm noticing that meat, chicken and fresh fish aren't covered... Anyone know why?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:20 pm
They never were, as far as I know. I don't know what goes into their calculations. It would be hard to say because they're expensive proteins, because wic does cover cheese and yogurt, which are not cheap.

I'm just happy with what they cover. And the ewic system is so much more convenient than their old check system.

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:28 pm
Because they support the dairy industry, I once read up on this when I was getting a bajillion bottles of week a check for two adults and one nursing infant.

Esther16

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:41 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:

I'm just happy with what they cover. And the ewic system is so much more convenient than their old check system.

What's Ewic??

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:44 pm
Meat and fresh fish are luxuries. WIC is for basics. As for chicken, I suppose the thought is that its cheap enough that a family can buy one chicken a week for protein.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
Meat and fresh fish are luxuries. WIC is for basics. As for chicken, I suppose the thought is that its cheap enough that a family can buy one chicken a week for protein.

Basics, by American standards. What they offer is not necessarily a healthy diet (not that I think meat is an important part of a healthy diet, but the amount of cereal and dairy they cover definitely is not).

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:07 pm
trixx wrote:
Because they support the dairy industry, I once read up on this when I was getting a bajillion bottles of week a check for two adults and one nursing infant.

It's true. They land certain contracts and that's how they dispense the food stuff. I once mentioned it to the lady at Wic. She just smiled and agreed with me.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:16 pm
I’ve gotten tofu in the past in Wic ny. It was yum

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:28 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Basics, by American standards. What they offer is not necessarily a healthy diet (not that I think meat is an important part of a healthy diet, but the amount of cereal and dairy they cover definitely is not).

Correct. WIC and SNAP are supplemental food programs. Its not meant to provide an entire diet.

Also, the milk and cereal that is provided is for young children who have different dietary needs than older children and adults. Its all PART of a healthy diet. They never claim to provide everything a family needs.

If a family wants fresh chicken, fresh fish, or fresh meat, they have to use other means to get it; with their own money, with foodstamps if they qualify, from a charity... this is not the goal of WIC.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
Correct. WIC and SNAP are supplemental food programs. Its not meant to provide an entire diet.

Also, the milk and cereal that is provided is for young children who have different dietary needs than older children and adults. Its all PART of a healthy diet. They never claim to provide everything a family needs.

If a family wants fresh chicken, fresh fish, or fresh meat, they have to use other means to get it; with their own money, with foodstamps if they qualify, from a charity... this is not the goal of WIC.

Yeah, I didn't mean that they should be providing for all dietary needs. I meant that some of what they offer is not necessary as part of any healthy diet. Cereal is not a part of anyone's healthy diet, at any age Smile It's just such a main feature of the SAD that they do include it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics