Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Raising the price without informing the customer

jerseygirl

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:12 pm
This is the second time that this has happened to me. I got my sheital done about 6 months ago and they charged x. I went again and dropped it off for the same thing and now it is x+$10, but the sheital macher did not tell me prior to getting it done. Only when I was ready to pay. Would you say something or just pay it? I know $10 is not alot of money, but it is the principal of the matter...

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:13 pm
I would say something, but still pay it. They should put signs up letting people know that the prices have changed.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:17 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I would say something, but still pay it. They should put signs up letting people know that the prices have changed.

This
That's how they can get away with it and just keep on raising the prices because no one says anything anyway. Shtikah kihodaya. Did I get it right?

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:18 pm
I had the same thing. I paid it but that was the last time I used that place.

miry1

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:20 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

I agree. I try to ask how much x will be in advance to avoid this. It's frustrating!

leah233

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:30 pm
If she has a constant turnover of semi seasonal customers it is not so easy for her to keep track of how much she charged each person last time or if that person was by her since she last raised her rates.

The only thing I might say is "Next time you raise your rates please notify me before I drop my stuff off"

The only time I stop using people's services for this type of thing is when they give me one price quote at first but then when it comes time to pay they say the quoted price didn't include whatever and charge me more .

Last edited by leah233 on Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:31 pm
personally I think it's geneiva. they can't just charge more if you're not aware of it...
I had this at a similar service recently when I had asked the price when scheduling. when I got to time of pay she tells me she went up in price. she didn't want to give in so I agreed but I was upset. I told the girl that took my credit card that it's really not nice to do this to customers so she charged me the original amount. I'm definitely not going back any time soon.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:37 pm
leah233 wrote:
If she has a constant turnover of semi seasonal customers it is not so easy for her to keep track of how much she charged each person last time or if that person was by her since she last raised her rates.

This is easily fixed by having a board/price list at the front like in nail salon

Reg manicure: 9
French manicure: 10

Etc. Then at the bottom "prices as of Jan 1, 2019"

The board can then be updated as needed

ddmom

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:38 pm
If it's a place that you to regularly I understand that you're upset.
if you really go every 6 months, she could have raised her prices right after you had it done last time, it's not fair to expect her to tell every customer for so long!! If the price matters vey much to you, you can ask "is it still that x price?"
And if you would have told her that you didn't expect the raise, she might have agreed to old price for that one time.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:11 pm
Some sheitel machers who work from home have a drop off system where the customer doesn't have to actually enter her home to drop off a wig. If she raised her prices in February, she probably isn't reminding each current customer that her price went up. 6 months is a while to go between wash and sets. She isn't trying to mess you up, just ask before you drop off.

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:14 pm
A shaitelmacher doesnt keep track. I always ask before each visit.
Also sometimes they have specials going on. I dont think its realistic for them to keep track. A poster with prices would be nice, but it's not on them IMO.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:16 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Some sheitel machers who work from home have a drop off system where the customer doesn't have to actually enter her home to drop off a wig. If she raised her prices in February, she probably isn't reminding each current customer that her price went up. 6 months is a while to go between wash and sets. She isn't trying to mess you up, just ask before you drop off.

The super honest ones will mention it.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:36 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
The super honest ones will mention it.

As someone mentioned, she may well have raised her rates 5 or 6 months ago, and would think that by now, all of her regular customers would be well aware of the increase. As to anyone who is not a regular, they would ask her the rates.

While annoying, I don't think that this person was less than honest.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:42 pm
My Shaitel macher put up signs in her salon 2 months in advance notifying customers of price changes 2 months before she’d charge the new rate. It gave people time to think about it. A price list is always hanging up in her room.
If I were to drop off and pick up without going inside I’d prob never see the sign

pause

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 3:51 pm
I ask, "Are you still charging x amount?"

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:03 pm
I agree with other posters that the "principle of the matter" does not require that a trades person know what amount was charged to someone six months ago. If the price had been raised in a one or two week interval since your last visit that would have been different but I would never assume that someone had not raised prices in the past six months.

I would never assume that every place I frequent will remember me and tell me that they have raised prices $X since the last visit.

I do agree many establishments do have a list of prices and that it the most tactful way to do that but I wouldn't think any if I were told the price had risen by $10 since a visit six months previously.

I don't understand how this is getting away with anything - people can ask the price before using the service as it's not reasonable to assume prices haven't increased in six months.

jerseygirl

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:44 am
Thank you all for the wise advice. I appreciate the different perspectives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics