Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dozens of cows perish in hot, crowded live transport

bluebaker

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 2:55 am
Dozens of cows perish in hot, crowded live transport ship to Israel
Rights advocates call practice ‘shocking and disturbing’ after video emerges of workers unloading surviving animals with electric prodders

Dozens of calves died aboard a livestock transport ship which arrived in Israel last week, bringing charges of animal cruelty from rights advocates.

The ship from Australia bearing 20,000 calves and lambs arrived in Eilat on the morning of Friday, June 8. Workers began removing the animals from the ship Friday night, and didn’t finish for five days. The animals onboard were left in hot, crowded conditions.

In video evidence from the scene broadcast by Channel 12 news, workers are seen removing the animals from the ship with electric shock prodders.

The Agricultural Ministry said 34 of the calves died onboard, and 30 died after disembarking, according to the report.

A spokesperson for the Israel Against Live Shipments group said that in his 15 years fighting the practice, he had never seen such cruelty.

Footage posted by the group Thursday showed cows, which the group said had been on the ship from Australia, lined up on the floor dead and bloated, covered in what appears to be mud or feces, many with blood and other liquids seeping from their mouths.

The issue of live animal shipments gained renewed attention earlier this month, when two cow carcasses washed up on the Tel Aviv shoreline, in separate incidents, horrifying bathers.

Animals (formerly Anonymous for Animal Rights), a rights group, has said ships often dump sick or wounded animals into the sea, sometimes when they were still alive.

Nearly 50,000 live calves were shipped to Israel for fattening and slaughter in January alone.
A cow carcass washes up to the shore of the Jaffa dog beach on June 9, 2019. (Screen capture/YouTube)

Last year, the Knesset green lighted a bill in its preliminary reading to stop the live transports of hundreds of thousands of lambs and calves from Australia and Europe to Israel each year.

The proposed legislation seeks to gradually reduce livestock numbers being imported into Israel and to stop them completely within three years, moving entirely to the import of chilled meat.

According to the bill’s explanatory notes, animals on livestock transports are subject to severe overcrowding, become drenched in their and other animals’ feces and suffer from heat overload and from severe injuries resulting from being shaken around by the waves.

Many of them become ill or do not survive the journey.

A ministerial committee gave the go-ahead for the bill last July, after which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu uploaded a photograph of a calf covered in excrement and wrote, “We approved at the Knesset Committee for Legislation a bill to stop the live shipments to Israel.

“We have to properly correct the great pain being caused to animals.”

Last July, 228 lawyers signed a petition calling for live shipments to be stopped, saying they contravened legislation on animal rights.
Screenshot from Australian TV’s “60 Minutes” broadcast about live shipments, “Sheep, Ships and Videotape,” shown April 8, 2018.

In May 2018, 60 senior rabbis signed a letter that said it was “neither the way of the Torah nor of human morality to allow such cruelty to animals.”

Nevertheless, 685,000 calves and lambs were shipped to Israel in 2018, compared with around 500,000 in 2017 — a rise of 37 percent.

Protests in Israel — led by the NGOs Animals and Let Animals Live, intensified following an exposé in April by Animals Australia, broadcast on Australian TV’s “60 Minutes,” into the appalling conditions in which sheep were shipped to the Middle East on weeks-long journeys.

On one of the journeys documented, 2,400 sheep perished and were thrown overboard.
read more:

Israel & the Region animal rights animal abuse animal cruelty Miki Haimovich food imports

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....l/[b]

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 3:01 am
I can only be sad that they used to ship humans under such conditions.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 3:10 am
That is atrocious, and totally against Torah. The first rule of shechitah is that the animals must be treated kindly in all aspects of their life, right up to the last minute.

My ex got fired from the plant in Postville because he complained that it had been over 24 hours since the cattle had been watered. He was considered a troublemaker.

He also does kapparot in Stamford Hill, and will refuse to cooperate if the chickens are crammed into coops with no food or water.

My ex and I have our issues, but I can say that he always does right by the animals under his care, and is an excellent shochet. He doesn't care if he gets fired for it. By him, keeping halacha and treating animals well is worth more than a paycheck.

(If he woke up before me, he was always particular to feed my dogs before he even had his coffee. He didn't even like my dogs!)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:05 am
As I live in Israel, I think that stopping the shipments would impact the availability. But really animals in such horrid conditions would be considered treifa, soon to be neveila.
I’m happy to buy foreign meat that’s been treated decently and shipped safely.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:17 am
Iymnok wrote:
As I live in Israel, I think that stopping the shipments would impact the availability. But really animals in such horrid conditions would be considered treifa, soon to be neveila.

Most rabbis these days say that because the way calves are treated, that veal is not kosher. I wonder who is buying all this veal, Palestinians?

I can't afford to buy fresh meat, so I get the meat that is imported from Argentina, and shipped to Israel already frozen. I like knowing that the cattle were on the same pasture their whole lives, and didn't have to travel like that. They stay under rabbinical supervision the whole time. (The organic, free range meat from Brazil is the best I've ever had, but I haven't seen it in Israel. KosherDirect in Seattle used to sell it).

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:35 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Most rabbis these days say that because the way calves are treated, that veal is not kosher. I wonder who is buying all this veal, Palestinians?

I don't know what percent of rabbis say it's kosher, but there are enough to stick a "kosher" label on it. AFAIK most is sold as kosher meat in the supermarkets here, and I assume most buyers are Jewish.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 6:03 am
Iymnok wrote:

Is it considered foreign if it's shechted there?
FranticFrummie wrote:
I can't afford to buy fresh meat, so I get the meat that is imported from Argentina, and shipped to Israel already frozen. I like knowing that the cattle were on the same pasture their whole lives, and didn't have to travel like that. They stay under rabbinical supervision the whole time. (The organic, free range meat from Brazil is the best I've ever had, but I haven't seen it in Israel. KosherDirect in Seattle used to sell it).

To ship to Israel now, nothing to do with where the cow was raised, it has to be more humane the way the shechita is done. When each cow is brought in to be shechted, it used to be hung up or something, but now they have to be in some sort of box. I'm not exactly sure of the details. The US is fine without that.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:47 am
Iymnok wrote:

Amen. I know several shepherds and cattle ranchers here, and I only buy meat from them. I know the animal had a happy, peaceful and open range life, and we use our own shochet, so I know the condition of the meat and kashrut.

I hope the new law allows for some livestock to brought in, under humane conditions. Israel is still building up its agricultural base, and there is still a need to import new animals to create stable herds around the country.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Honestly, Muslims do go through a lot of meat. There are several butchers in Hawara (the town along our highway), and even the smallest one kills a cow at least once every two days (they do it on the sidewalk, butcher it there, and then hose down the area. Not hygienic!) That's a lot of cattle, and Hawara is a relatively small town.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 2:22 am
That is horrible. Its odd how little attention is paid to tzaar baalei chaim in kashrus.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 3:08 am
The vegan and vegetarian movement in Israel is huge, and such news only serves to convince more people.

I think we have the highest percentage of vegans in the world, after India.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 8:46 am
There was a lot of Chilul Shabbos
There you go
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics