Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
How to end Measles Hysteria
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:50 pm
How do you make the measles 2019 epidemic disappear?

End the legislative session.

The agenda is so obvious. Uch.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:52 pm
How do you end the fear of vaccinations among anti vaxxers?

The doctors they go to to get exemptions get tons of money for doing it.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 5:00 pm
Answer to your question, op:

Everyone should get vaccinated.

soap suds

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 6:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Answer to your question, op:

Everyone should get vaccinated.

From your mouth to anti-vaxxers' ears

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 6:14 pm
In the anti-vax religion, if the kids want to go OTD, they go to normal doctors and get vaccinated.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 6:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you make the measles 2019 epidemic disappear?

End the legislative session.

The agenda is so obvious. Uch.

You think all they do is measles?

Ma3

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 6:34 pm
OMG, not another Measles talk! 😜😜😜😝😝

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:34 pm
Stop living in fear of the measles! Relax, don't stress about it. Do your hishtadlus to stay healthy, don't stress about other people's choices, daven, and Hashem will decide who gets sick and who stays healthy. Let go and let G-d.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:45 pm
It's amazing what media and marketing can do! In 'The Adventures of Jeremy and Hedy Levi', (who remembers that book?) Hedy gets the measles. No one is kicked out of school, no one goes into hibernation, no one panics. The measles was a normal, benign childhood disease in the '50s. Watch the chicken pox make its rounds in 2020 and let's see how hysterical everyone gets!

mimom

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:48 pm
...the only way to end the measles hysteria is to stop getting hysterical. Enough with the drama.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 4:52 am
You guys have a very peculiar religion. I wonder what other safety precautions you forgo to demonstrate your faith in G-d.
Interesting that fiction is being used to demonstrate what people thought about measles. I remember living in fear of measles and polio and feeling safe after being vaccinated. My parents didn't view these illnesses as benign.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:01 am
100% southernbubby
there is no "hysteria'
there is a legitimate concern of an "eradicated" potentially dangerous and highly contagious disease making a comeback R"L
making a comeback due to "hysterical" fears of life saving vaccinations

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 11:15 am
Southern Bubby, I'm sorry you had that fearful experience and glad you had the opportunity to vax your kids. My grandparents remember the measles as a normal, uneventful part of childhood.
For decades there were parents who chose to vax and parents who opted out due to personal concerns and everyone lived happily together. Suddenly this year, nonvaxxers became a "danger" and a "threat". Tell me that's not all hype, fear mongering and deliberate marketing!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 11:20 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Southern Bubby, I'm sorry you had that fearful experience and glad you had the opportunity to vax your kids. My grandparents remember the measles as a normal, uneventful part of childhood.
For decades there were parents who chose to vax and parents who opted out due to personal concerns and everyone lived happily together. Suddenly this year, nonvaxxers became a "danger" and a "threat". Tell me that's not all hype, fear mongering and deliberate marketing!

True dat.

My OP was to express the idea of how when legistlation to ban religious exemption is needed, we hear and read in the news about an epidemic and hysteria, blame and fear tossed around, but in the two weeks the bill passed, not a word in the media about the "epidemic". Look at that, the law was barely in effect and it already helped!!!

nchr

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 11:26 am
IRL no one I know is talking about measles...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 11:26 am
nchr wrote:
IRL no one I know is talking about measles...

It's talking about the media.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:55 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Until 9 months ago, most people didn't know about or cared about who was vaccinated because the disease was not spreading. Then we started hearing about hospitalized infants who caught the virus from non-vaccinated children who freely walked around in public spreading the disease. Some of the babies were in the PICU and 2 were on the NICU as preemies with congenital measles.

Now my generation of mothers vaccinated and never dealt with measles and for my children, this was not a normal part of childhood to simply be dealt with. Most doctors had no experience with it either.
Now, to their credit, some of the less pig-headed anti-vaxers took their neighbors fears seriously and got vaccinated. Others, however, put up ridiculous, manipulate posts on social media about what victims they were.

Now probably the majority of children who caught measles were non-vaccinated due to the choices that their parents made and involuntary transmission to babies and the medically fragile children of pro-vax families was not as common. However, because of the shocking gall and absolute chutzpah of a few sinister anti-vaxers, people were afraid to go out in public.

Measles isn't an absolute death sentence for the majority of school age children who get it: although some could be quite miserable but the anti-vaxers don't want any vaccines so what happens if travelers start bringing polio to this country? Are the anti-vaxers going to call it part of a normal childhood?

And I do see where the CDC is not in kehutz with big pharma. The stock price of the manufacturer of Prevnar 13 fell the other day because it's no longer going to be recommended for senior citizens. The elderly are protected because the shot is given to prevent pneumonia in babies and adults who are in contact with babies are no longer catching pneumonia from them. Of course that is only true if the baby has been vaccinated. Grandparents of anti-vax grandchildren should probably still get the shot.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:11 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Do your grandparents really remember it that way? Every person I know IRL who had the measles is happy there is a vaccine - either because of their personal experience or the experiences of their friends. My sister's children just had the measles and she feels like the biggest fool in the world. She is so embarrassed of her choices. BH her kids are okay, but she said that her child told her it was the most painful thing she had ever experienced - meanwhile my sister and her husband were not even sick. Then of course my sister realized that she also knows someone personally who was blinded as a result of the outbreak and is really uncomfortable with her choice.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:27 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Do your grandparents really remember it that way? Every person I know IRL who had the measles is happy there is a vaccine - either because of their personal experience or the experiences of their friends. My sister's children just had the measles and she feels like the biggest fool in the world. She is so embarrassed of her choices. BH her kids are okay, but she said that her child told her it was the most painful thing she had ever experienced - meanwhile my sister and her husband were not even sick. Then of course my sister realized that she also knows someone personally who was blinded as a result of the outbreak and is really uncomfortable with her choice.

That's too bad on her. You can't be a stupid and uninformed anti-vaxxer. Most anti-vaxxers are not so foolish. I for one gave the MMR because I didn't want to risk the disease. Other anti-vaxxers I know knew what they and their kids are going into and made the decision that the pain is worth the gain.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:30 pm
right -- my parents and grandparents and their relatives and friends certainly do not remember measles as a "benign" disease
in fact they clearly remember and relate being highly concerned whenever anyone caught it since it was pretty much then a waiting game of statistics who survived and who survived with permanent side effects such as deafness.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics