Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Vomit etiquette
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:55 am
I was raised that when you feel sick, you try to throw up in the toilet, and if you can't, you throw up into a big bowl that my mother would give us in bed. My children (teens and tweens) refuse to throw up in the toilet because they think it's gross. So they throw up on the floor and then expect me to clean up after them.

I do feel bad for my kids that they're sick, but if they're not feeling well and know they might throw up, I feel they should prepare for the possibility and get themselves into the bathroom like I used to, or at the very least make sure a bucket or bowl is nearby (I give them a bucket/bowl but they push it away and say they don't want it close to them because it makes them feel gross). My husband disagrees and feels if someone's sick you just feel sorry for them and try to help with whatever they need.

Who's right?

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:58 am
You are right. At some point your children won’t live with you and will need to clean up their own vomit. Will they think the toilet is too gross then? You need to raise them to manage without you cleaning up after them. Obviously there are times when people vomit and can’t make it to the toilet or a bin, but that’s not the same as not trying.

( unfortunately I have a lot of experience vomiting so I have a lot to say on this topic )

Last edited by tichellady on Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

heidi

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:59 am
Where are you living?
A barn?
Civilized people throw up in the toilet. Or clean up after themselves If they can't make it in time.

flowerpower

If they don’t want to throw up in the toilet is one thing. But to throw up on the floor and expect you to clean it up after them is just gross and mean. They should train themselves to throw up in a bowl near their bed or in the bathroom if they feel sick.

ra_mom

Why do they think it's gross to try to make it to the bathroom when they need to throw up? There's no need to sit on the floor or hug the toilet. Just get to the bathroom and throw up while standing over the bowl. It's the same as standing over your bed and throwing up there so I'm not sure what they're grossed out about. And even just throwing up on the tile in the bathroom is better than on a hardwood floor or a porous surface, because it's easier to clean thoroughly.

giselle

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:01 am
Of course you’re right. I can’t believe this is even a question.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:01 am
It's one thing if they miss or can't get there in time, but on purpose? That is unacceptable! If your husband thinks that this is fine, suggest that he clean it up.

Israeli_C

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:07 am
What a bizarre situation. Throwing up on the floor on purpose?! They're not even small kids (in which case I could possibly understand!) Tell them to vomit in a bowl if the toilet disgusts them. Ew!

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:07 am
When I was growing up, every child had his/her own trashcan near their bed/desk in their room and if we couldn't make it to the toilet to vomit, we used the (lined) trash can. I do the same thing with my kids. If the vomit ends up in the (plastic) trashcan, we empty the bag and rinse it out. Vomit on the floor is pretty unacceptable. A mistake is one thing, but repeatedly? No way.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:26 am
Tell them if they deliberately avoid throwing up in some designated receptacle, they can pitch a tent in the yard and live outdoors while they are ill.

trixx

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was raised that when you feel sick, you try to throw up in the toilet, and if you can't, you throw up into a big bowl that my mother would give us in bed. My children (teens and tweens) refuse to throw up in the toilet because they think it's gross. So they throw up on the floor and then expect me to clean up after them.

I do feel bad for my kids that they're sick, but if they're not feeling well and know they might throw up, I feel they should prepare for the possibility and get themselves into the bathroom like I used to, or at the very least make sure a bucket or bowl is nearby (I give them a bucket/bowl but they push it away and say they don't want it close to them because it makes them feel gross). My husband disagrees and feels if someone's sick you just feel sorry for them and try to help with whatever they need.

Who's right?

Make them clean up after themselves and they'll start making it to the toilet pretty quickly.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:33 am
trixx wrote:
Make them clean up after themselves and they'll start making it to the toilet pretty quickly.

Yup. Have a mop and pail ready and hand it to them.

soap suds

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:37 am
Growing up we'd use the bathroom sink. They may feel less grossed out doing it there. Then they can just run the faucet to get it all down the drain.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:39 am
soap suds wrote:
Growing up we'd use the bathroom sink. They may feel less grossed out doing it there. Then they can just run the faucet to get it all down the drain.

The same place people wash their hands and teeth?
The whole house will catch the virus

soap suds

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:58 am
Not ideal, but better than the floor.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:05 am
soap suds wrote:
Not ideal, but better than the floor.

True. Basically OP, ANYTHING is better than the floor.
I actually find it demeaning that you would be made to clean their vomit off the floor. They need a serious reality check

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:21 am
The toilet is the best! Flush and it’s gone. Clorox wipes for the rest.
As we well know from our pregnant days...

trixx

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:44 am
soap suds wrote:

This sounds gross but the sink is not good bc pieces don't go down and then you really have to clean it. Oh do I regret every time I only made it into the sink instead of the toilet (including on an airplane bathroom at 8 weeks pregnant)

Metukah

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 3:57 am
I can't believe you are even questioning who is right? Off course you are.
Intentionally throwing up on the floor is unacceptable. Boy, are their spouses gonna resent you for it.
I would throw up if I had to clean vomit off the floor. Even when it happens by mistake that my kids vomit on the floor, I cannot clean it. Thankfully dh is okay to do it.
OP tell dh, if he thinks it's okay he should clean it.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:21 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
The same place people wash their hands and teeth?
The whole house will catch the virus

My mother also trained me to throw up in the bathroom sink. No one caught anything.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry