Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What to serve shabbos afternoon guests?
Previous  1  2

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 10:58 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
What I think a lot of the posters are missing is that they are not Orthodox.
Culturally it is very different.
I confirmed with my conservative (very Jewish but not frum at all) co-worker.

You need to serve food, but rather that serving a meal, as they might not be expecting one or hungry, put it out casual, buffet style and people can take what they do or don't want when they want it.

You will have plenty of leftovers, but it would be in bad form to just put out "nosh". Be a gratuitous hostess. It is better to have too much, then for them to walk away thinking you are either cheap or ill mannered.

Within Orthodox there is going to be a big difference regarding what food to put out late afternoon - as noted by this thread.

Same for the rest of the population.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. Op here. Just to clarify- what I mean by afternoon is AFTER the Shabbos lunch meal... Later afternoon. They are not orthodox/frum so I can't expect they had a big Shabbos lunch and I want it to be nicer than putting out kugel.

While they may (or may not) have had a big lunch, they won't be expecting a meal if they're not invited at mealtime.

Given that its summer, I'd leave out fruit and cut up veggies (very refreshing), along with nibbly food like nuts or popcorn. Cookies -- not cake (cookies are more nibbly and easier to take than a whole piece of cake that needs a plate and a fork) -- if you want.

If you think it shalosh seudas time, add some egg salad, tuna salad, cucumber salad, and a couple of spreads.

SRB

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 9:08 pm
Thank you for all the suggestions - this is helpful! I guess it wasn't such a silly question so I'm going to out myself. shabbat shalom!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 12:24 am
Make sure in hot weather to have some cold stuff like cold drinks, iced tea or iced coffee. Fruit smoothie. Ice cream.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 12:31 am
How did it go? Smile

SRB

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 1:28 am
Op here.
DrMom- It didn't happen yet, but I will let you know!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics