Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Would your dh go to a broadway show?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:45 pm
My dh would love to see the lion king on broadway but I keep on telling him that broadway shows are only singing and dancing women, not appropriate for jewish men. How many of your husbands would go? Also did anyone ever see the lion king? Does that have any less singing / dancing and are they dressed more tznius?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:47 pm
Mine doesn't go to the typical Broadway show, but we did see Blue Man Tube together, that was totally kosher...

TightRopeWalker

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:51 pm
I was quite surprised how many yeshivish guys I saw at Mary Poppins.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:52 pm
Nah. Costs gelt, too.

gigi

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:58 pm
it really depends on the guy..
I don't think your dh should do something just because other guys do or don't do it.
almost all broadway shows have women dancing and singing.
he has to decide what is right for him, not based on what other people's husbands do.

anon

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:09 pm
I'm assuming that your husband hasn't gone yet because of halachic reasons. Those halachic reasons are not going to change because other men see broadway shows. I'm sure that there are men that see shows based on a heter from their rav, and I'm sure that there are men that see shows without a heter.

This is one of your "ask your LOR" questions, because the only way it can possibly be "appropriate" for your husband is if your rav says it's OK.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:10 pm
we went tigether but now we dont go for the reazons you wrote.

red sea

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:15 pm
I dont get it anon, rabbi's now give heterim for kol isha and more? I was under the impression that the men who go just arent at a level where they have a problem with it or they find a show that isnt problematic, I never dreamed they asked a rabbi's permission and got thier blessing to go to broadway.

mimivan

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:24 pm
TightRopeWalker wrote:
I was quite surprised how many yeshivish guys I saw at Mary Poppins.

Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:26 pm
I once went out with a guy who was just starting to become hareidi and he confessed that he went to see The Full Monty the week before because he missed going to a Broadway musical, but that was the only one without kol isha... LOL

cassandra

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:27 pm
red sea wrote:
I dont get it anon, rabbi's now give heterim for kol isha and more? I was under the impression that the men who go just arent at a level where they have a problem with it or they find a show that isnt problematic, I never dreamed they asked a rabbi's permission and got thier blessing to go to broadway.

My dh won't go, but there definitely are halachic justifications for it.

red sea

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 9:56 pm
cassandra wrote:
red sea wrote:

My dh won't go, but there definitely are halachic justifications for it.

other than its part of their job? like for entertainment because my wife wants to go? seriously?

cassandra

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:00 pm
No, it has to do with the nature of kol isha.

imokay

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:20 pm
Quote:
Also did anyone ever see the lion king? Does that have any less singing / dancing and are they dressed more tznius?

ill respond to this and leave myself out of the halachic discussion.
I saw the lion king (with friends)- it was amazing! that being said, there is tons of singing (it is a musical) and the costumes are of course not tznius (it is broadway). but, I dont know what standard u r comparing it to, so its tuff to answer your q...

cassandra

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:37 pm
I saw it a while back, but as far as I remember the characters are all dressed like animals, so you can't necessarily tell by looking who is female and who is male.

Then again, I had really bad seats. (Maybe this should be a heter? Smile )

Esther23

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 11:19 pm
cassandra what do you mean when you say there are "halachic justifications", what justifications are there in men watching ladies singing and dancing?

Yakira

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 7:57 am
My DH goes. I'm always the one who gets us the tickets and I think we both feel somewhat bad about it after. But its so nice to have an outing with him...We have only done a few and I think its pretty much going to stop now that baby is almost here, but we definitely enjoyed our shows together.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 8:15 am
My dh would go to one in chul if the play was basically tznius (in dress and plot). I think the Lion King would be fine. However, he wouldn't go to a musical in Israel since he doesn't listen to Jewish women sing.

He averts his eyes when someone is dressed untznius on tv, so he'd probably do the same thing at a show.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 10:01 am
I've gone to nearly a hundred Broadway shows and can't recall one that was tznius. You're definitely going to see some cleavage - and you're lucky if that's it.

That being said, DH and I go to shows all the time.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
My dh would go to one in chul if the play was basically tznius (in dress and plot). I think the Lion King would be fine. However, he wouldn't go to a musical in Israel since he doesn't listen to Jewish women sing.

He averts his eyes when someone is dressed untznius on tv, so he'd probably do the same thing at a show.

You think there are no Jewish women in Broadway shows? Ha!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics