Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Would your dh go to a broadway show?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 12:08 pm
It's different when you know for sure they are Jewish and when you don't know.

cassandra

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 12:19 pm
I am the one that originally posted that kulos exist, but afaik, Jewish/not-Jewish is not one of them. Is Playboy ok because the women aren't Jewish?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 1:27 pm
Never heard of Jewish/non Jewish either.

I read recently a text from a YU rabbi saying nowadays unless it's an untznius song, there is no kol isha problem because men are used to it. I thought it made sense.

Averting your eyes only works if a couple of scenes are untznius, not if everything is (unless you plan to spend the whole evening looking at the floor). I don't know how Broadway shows are, so I can't say if it's worth it.

I don't think my husband would want to see a musical, tznius or untznius LOL

MommyEsty

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 2:40 pm
my husband took me as a surprise to see fiddler on the roof when engaged. it was awesome!

but he wouldnt go now..

Motek

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 7:29 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
You're definitely going to see some cleavage - and you're lucky if that's it.

really? lucky?! why? what should one expect to see?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 7:40 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I've gone to nearly a hundred Broadway shows and can't recall one that was tznius. You're definitely going to see some cleavage - and you're lucky if that's it.

That being said, DH and I go to shows all the time.

What have you seen? I've been to some plays and shows in my day, and although there have been allusions to s*x and discussions about it, I've never seen anything too risque.

My husband loves theater and opera. One of our first dates was to see "Carmen." Now we have kids and only talk about doing stuff like that.

Mommish

Mine wouldn't because of kol isha, etc, but I sort of miss Broadway. I think the non-musicals are ok, though and I keep thinking I should get tickets to one of these...
About the animal costumes... I remember seeing Cats when I was a pre-teen and being very uncomfortable when one of the male "cats" was dancing very close to me in the aisle. (I was not yet frum at the time) I wouldn't want my husband or kids going to a show like that.

amother

When you'll find me a one heter anyone found for a man to watch a broadway show that would be interesting. The only way I could think it would be halachically ok, would be if the man were deaf and blind.

wif

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 3:33 am
We saw Blue Man Group on a date--I think that is the only halachicly acceptable show for guys to see. No woman at all, and nothing dirty--just really good music and a really humorous premise, if a bit off-the-wall! LOL

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:35 am
Clarissa wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
I've gone to nearly a hundred Broadway shows and can't recall one that was tznius. You're definitely going to see some cleavage - and you're lucky if that's it.

That being said, DH and I go to shows all the time.

What have you seen? I've been to some plays and shows in my day, and although there have been allusions to s*x and discussions about it, I've never seen anything too risque.

My husband loves theater and opera. One of our first dates was to see "Carmen." Now we have kids and only talk about doing stuff like that.

I take that back - I can recall on off-Broadway show that was clean and didn't have one woman in the show. Altar Boyz, which is about a Christian boy band.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:44 am
op here, thanks everyone for your replies, from what I read I see there are some broadway shows that are not musicals (I had thought they all were) does anyone know if lion king is a musical? Also, can anyone list shows that are not musicals?

Thank you all so much!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:45 am
I've seen Cats... I almost fell asleep... or did I??

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:46 am
My dh won't go b/c of kol isha...I would also love to hear a heter that someone has been given. Before my bt days I sang somewhat professionally and of course had to give it up due to kol isha. I've heard and studied the arguments and can't think of how a man could hear a woman sing. It's still a problem from what I learned to hear a non-Jewish woman sing. The only heters I have heard were if it were through a microphone or on a radio when you couldn't see the woman. So, if anyone hears of any others, b/c I personally don't think the microphone reason makes any sense, it actually heightens the s*xuality if you ask me...I would love to hear it. That being said, blue man group is all men banging on drums. If you want to see a show w. dh, there are shows that don't have women, but they tend to be vulgar, and there are others that are ok....I'll think about them.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
op here, thanks everyone for your replies, from what I read I see there are some broadway shows that are not musicals (I had thought they all were) does anyone know if lion king is a musical? Also, can anyone list shows that are not musicals?

Thank you all so much!

Yes, there are also plays on Broadway. If you go to http://www.playbill.com/events/listing/1.html you can find a list of the shows currently playing on Broadway and also if they're a musical or play.

Lion King is most definitely a Musical.

Altar Boyz is actually a very good show, DH and I enjoyed it a lot, but you'd have to check and see if it's still playing.

shanie5

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 9:11 am
Motek wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
You're definitely going to see some cleavage - and you're lucky if that's it.

really? lucky?! why? what should one expect to see?

besides cleavage, what about the short skirts worn by the dancers to show off their legs?

many years ago a friend offered me a really cheap ticket to see 'shogun' and I accepted. there was definitely a s*x scene in it. it was w/ bodysuits, behind a shade-more in sillohette, but a s*x scene none the less.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 9:12 am
I can't find the YU article, but it permitted (almost) everything unless you're alone with the singer trying to seduce you or whatever. I don't remember exactly.
But apparently, someone has read the same thing:
Quote:

To some rabbis, kol isha is live, not cd, or even just one on one love song, because nowadays listening to a regular song is nothing special to most men (according to a psak from a YU rabbi I read online).

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 10:03 am
amother wrote:

Thank you all so much!

You really didn't know that plays exist without music? Far more non-musicals than musicals. I love plays but am not a big fan of musicals. I saw "Carousel" once and started to get uncomfortable when they sang about absolutely everything that was going on. I wanted to scream, "Can't you discuss anything without singing about it?!"

That said, one of my favorite movies is kind of a musical.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 10:06 am
Clarissa wrote:
started to get uncomfortable when they sang about absolutely everything that was going on. I wanted to scream, "Can't you discuss anything without singing about it?!"

lol yeah, it can get annoying

I do have a few musicals I liked (seen on tv), often after starting by hating them, then getting used to them after 20 minutes of shock Rolling Eyes
lol
what is your favorite movie that is a bit like a musical?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:02 am
I'm not such a fan of plays. I've only seen the plays that I have because they came with my subscription. They were good, but if I'm spending money, I want to see a SHOW.

And there are definitely more musicals on Broadway than plays. Plays usually have a harder time making back their investment, and generally have shorter runs.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:06 am
Maybe, but I've never had any problem finding great non-musical dramas or comedies.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics