Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Would your dh go to a broadway show?
Previous  1  2  3

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:28 am
I didn't say they're harder to come by, but there are more musicals than plays.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 2:52 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I can't find the YU article, but it permitted (almost) everything unless you're alone with the singer trying to seduce you or whatever. I don't remember exactly.
But apparently, someone has read the same thing:
Quote:

To some rabbis, kol isha is live, not cd, or even just one on one love song, because nowadays listening to a regular song is nothing special to most men (according to a psak from a YU rabbi I read online).

I would really like you to find a source for this. I've never heard this psak from any YU type rabbi.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 4:59 pm
dh would go if I would allow him but once we start its a red light for other things to follow, im the woman and I gotta stay strong

jba

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 5:38 pm
I just asked my dh this the other day! He said he would not go but he would let me go....and drive me.

Maya

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 5:44 pm
sleepless-n-ny wrote:
dh would go if I would allow him but once we start its a red light for other things to follow, im the woman and I gotta stay strong

So he asks for your permission for things like this?

gonewiththewind

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 6:31 pm
cassandra wrote:
I am the one that originally posted that kulos exist, but afaik, Jewish/not-Jewish is not one of them. Is Playboy ok because the women aren't Jewish?

Definitely one of the funniest posts I've seen. I love plays but haven't gone since I'm married. No one to go with. The thought of my husband at a broadway play is even funnier than Cassandra's quote.

louche

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:58 pm
Who can AFFORD to go to a Bway play? We don't even see movies until they're on video.

mumoo

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:02 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

To some rabbis, kol isha is live, not cd, or even just one on one love song,

I would really like you to find a source for this. I've never heard this psak from any YU type rabbi.

so our Rov also told dh that he didn't have to wear earplugs or headphones (he used to!) when he went to a grocery that pipes in singing music because the singers are not live, but that only counted if he couldn't recognize who the singer is (which he for sure couldn't)

and no, he wouldn't ever go to a Broadway show. I had to convince him to watch a tape of dd in her Erev Shira

mumoo

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
He averts his eyes when someone is dressed untznius on tv,

so he doesn't watch much, then

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:05 am
My friend once asked a rav about men listening to women sing - he said that although the HALACHA of kol isha doesn't apply to recorded music, it's still not the right thing for a frum man to do - not in the derech of torah. He did say, though that LIVE singing is assur - kol isha. C'mon, most men will get somewhat turned on by a beautiful woman singing live (even more so if she's dressed in a revealing way) - they're never so used to it that it doesn't affect them. In just the same way, walking in the street past provocatively dressed women will have an affect on them, even though they are there all the time - they never "get used to it" - unfortunately that is unavoidable, though. I really don't understand those of you that have no problem with your husbands seeing these shows? Then again, I don't get that you have no problem with them seeing shmutz on tv, and I don't get that you happily take them shopping to Victoria's secret with you?????? What I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority here! Sad Confused shock

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
My friend once asked a rav about men listening to women sing - he said that although the HALACHA of kol isha doesn't apply to recorded music, it's still not the right thing for a frum man to do - not in the derech of torah. He did say, though that LIVE singing is assur - kol isha. C'mon, most men will get somewhat turned on by a beautiful woman singing live (even more so if she's dressed in a revealing way) - they're never so used to it that it doesn't affect them. In just the same way, walking in the street past provocatively dressed women will have an affect on them, even though they are there all the time - they never "get used to it" - unfortunately that is unavoidable, though. I really don't understand those of you that have no problem with your husbands seeing these shows? Then again, I don't get that you have no problem with them seeing shmutz on tv, and I don't get that you happily take them shopping to Victoria's secret with you?????? What I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority here! Sad Confused shock

Dont worry, you're not alone Wink But I think most of our type didn't even bother looking into this thread. (I only did so now cause I was very bored, but I'm gettin' outta here!)

amother

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 8:27 am
sleepless-n-ny wrote:

maybe a green light if you think other things will follow!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 8:38 am
louche wrote:
Who can AFFORD to go to a Bway play? We don't even see movies until they're on video.

I used to go to get student rush tickets, win lotteries, or find other ways of getting cheap tickets and would see at least one show a week. Since getting married I see a lot less, but we still try and go every now and then. Unfortunately, we've seen almost all the shows that are playing in my city this season and didn't renew our subscription. Hopefully next year, everything will be new to us.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 7:18 am
I meant green light lol, its the lack of sleep I say-to write mistakes
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics