Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Should I not go?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:08 pm
Was supposed to go up to the country to visit a family member who is staying in a bungalow. I would only go visit for a few hours but I have a 2 month old, and now everyone is telling me not to go because of the measels. Is this overreacting?

tweety1

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:43 pm
I say it's not overreacting but that's cuz I wouldn't either go.

Seashell

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:44 pm
Not overreacting. I wouldn’t go with an unvaccinated baby!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:50 pm
I would go there the same as a I go shopping or anywhere else. You can't stay locked in.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:56 pm
Depends, do you prefer this relative or your new baby?
Is your baby sweet and delicious or colicky and was not really wanted?
Your decision, not ours.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:08 pm
Amother cerulean, I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Care to explain??
What does this have to do with the baby being wanted or not?!?!?!?!?!????

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:23 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Amother cerulean, I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Care to explain??
What does this have to do with the baby being wanted or not?!?!?!?!?!????

She's saying it's risky to the baby, so it depends how much you care about baby staying alive.

I think it really depends on the area and the population there- whether there's herd immunity in that colony or not

rosezee

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:24 pm
Think of the possible outcome. And then ask yourself if it’d still be worth it.

My answer is no. I wouldn’t.
Children always come first.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:24 pm
OP its the same thing as taking your baby out anywhere. If you havent been taking him to geocery stores and the like (and I hope you havent) then theres no difference, you shouldnt be taking him to a bungalow colony

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:27 pm
Mazel tov on the baby!
DO NOT GO

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:05 pm
It's your pediatrician's job to be neurotic and your job to be normal. My Doctor flipped when he saw that I didn't sterilize my baby's pacifier after it fell on the floor, hyperventilated about my 11 year old riding her bike off the block without parental supervision, and what kind of mother doesn't put a helmet on a 2 year old riding a tricycle?
Go with your baby, enjoy life, and be normal.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:09 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
It's your pediatrician's job to be neurotic and your job to be normal. My Doctor flipped when he saw that I didn't sterilize my baby's pacifier after it fell on the floor, hyperventilated about my 11 year old riding her bike off the block without parental supervision, and what kind of mother doesn't put a helmet on a 2 year old riding a tricycle?
Go with your baby, enjoy life, and be normal.

Your examples are all mild. Its apples and oranges. If her baby is exposed to someone carrying measles theres a 90% chance he will catch it. There are already 2 documented cases of previously healthly people who are now permanently brain damaged from this outbreak. So its not smart to take it as lightly as washing off a pacifier.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:14 pm
Does the colony allow anti vaxers ? If so I wouldn't go.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:15 pm
Amother, going to a bungalow colony means her baby will die??? Thousands of families with babies are at bungalow colonies, god help these babies will survive the summer. People are overreacting. You obviously have to use common sense wherever you go, but the answer is not staying locked in and stop going on with life.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:17 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Your examples are all mild. Its apples and oranges. If her baby is exposed to someone carrying measles theres a 90% chance he will catch it. There are already 2 documented cases of previously healthly people who are now permanently brain damaged from this outbreak. So its not smart to take it as lightly as washing off a pacifier.

Do you know the statistics of kidnapping in the US? Do you know the chances of a 2 y.o. hurting her head from a fall? I'd say they're greater chances than of her kid being permanently damaged from measles.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:19 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Amother, going to a bungalow colony means her baby will die??? Thousands of families with babies are at bungalow colonies, god help these babies will survive the summer. People are overreacting. You obviously have to use common sense wherever you go, but the answer is not staying locked in and stop going on with life.

How would you use common sense? Im sincerely curious. If you take your unvaccinated baby (who most monsey pediatricians recommend being kept in your home until vaccinated) to a public place like a bungalow colony, then what else are you doing according to using your common sense? What do you suggest OP do commonsense-wise, if she brings her baby?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:19 pm
You can ask the health department. There is evidence that if the mother was immune via vaccine, a newborn has protection for up to three months.
OTOH, doctors were cautioning mother not to bring babies that age into wedding halls

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:22 pm
Little neshamala, taking a baby to a bungalow colony is the same as sitting out your door. Taking baby to the doctor is much riskier.
Common sense regarding going to a bungalow colony is finding out if there are kids with measles there, keeping the baby away from kids, and not letting anyone hold or kiss the baby.
There are precautions to take without stopping your life.

momsrus

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:26 pm
Aren’t there any country goers seriously not going to the country this year because of measles. I find that hard to believe.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:28 pm
There's a difference between indoor public places and outdoors.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics