Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Should I not go?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Do you know the statistics of kidnapping in the US? Do you know the chances of a 2 y.o. hurting her head from a fall? I'd say they're greater chances than of her kid being permanently damaged from measles.

But you try to prevent:

1. kidnapping
2. dangerously falling
3. getting measles

Why are people so nonchalant about measles?

Statistics will never be able to tell you if your child is the one who will get very ill - which is why you avoid it all together.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:29 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Little neshamala, taking a baby to a bungalow colony is the same as sitting out your door. Taking baby to the doctor is much riskier.
Common sense regarding going to a bungalow colony is finding out if there are kids with measles there, keeping the baby away from kids, and not letting anyone hold or kiss the baby.
There are precautions to take without stopping your life.

Those precautions would make sense if you're trying to avoid the baby catching the flu or a stomach virus. (And you cant simply find out if there are kids with measles there. They can be contagious without realizing they have it yet)
But if youre walking down the main road/path to the bungalows, and 2 hours earlier a child carrying measles walked across the path together with his bunk to the pool, the baby now has a 90% chance of becoming infected.

The reason this topic has everyone (including parents of newborns!) SO up in arms and outraged is because of how highly contagious it is, and therefor, how CRAZY the precautions they are being advised to take are.

Last edited by little neshamala on Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:29 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
But you try to prevent:

1. kidnapping
2. dangerously falling
3. getting measles

Why are people so nonchalant about measles?

Statistics will never be able to tell you if your child is the one who will get very ill - which is why you avoid it all together.

right, so if you're a helicopter mom you can stay away. Most normal parents are a bit more chilled.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:30 pm
I vote for stay home until 6 months. HaShem should watch over us all

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:30 pm
No one is being nonchalant. You just go on with life but using precautions.
Keeping a baby indoors for 6 months is nearly impossible and so not healthy for the baby. Everyone needs fresh air. There's always something in the air that people can catch, should we go live in a bubble now??

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:35 pm
Keeping a baby indoors for 6 months is nearly impossible and so not healthy for the baby. Everyone needs fresh air. There's always something in the air that people can catch, should we go live in a bubble now??

Again. Please explain what precautions you would take to protect an unvaxed baby who you are taking to public places.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:37 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
right, so if you're a helicopter mom you can stay away. Most normal parents are a bit more chilled.

I would go - and do my best to prevent my child from being exposed to measles. Which means - everyone please stay away from the baby.

You seemed to say there is no reason to avoid getting measles. Big difference.

polka dots

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:49 pm
Is it such a big deal? I think there is more germs by the babysitter than taking your baby to the country. Unless I know that someone there is sick, I would go. You can take along hand sanitizer if someone wants to hold the baby.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 3:03 pm
momsrus wrote:
Aren’t there any country goers seriously not going to the country this year because of measles. I find that hard to believe.

Yes me Wave

I am pregnant and my titers are too low.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 3:04 pm
polka dots wrote:
Is it such a big deal? I think there is more germs by the babysitter than taking your baby to the country. Unless I know that someone there is sick, I would go. You can take along hand sanitizer if someone wants to hold the baby.

GERMS?!?!
You're JOKING.
You cant compare MEASLES to GERMS. Sanitizing will not keep measles out! Its airbourne!!!!!
GERMS?!?!?!?!?!?!

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 3:06 pm

Um, keeping a baby locked up for 6 mos IS THE PRECAUTION. That, or a hazmat suit.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 3:09 pm
little neshamala wrote:
But if youre walking down the main road/path to the bungalows, and 2 hours earlier a child carrying measles walked across the path together with his bunk to the pool, the baby now has a 90% chance of becoming infected.

Actually, not so. The 2 hour number is in an enclosed space (1964 study of measles sprayed into the air in a 14x14 ft room). The amount of measles particles in the air declined steadily over 2 hours until it was negligible. https://link.springer.com/arti.....53797

Incidentally, higher humidity meant that the measles lasted for a shorter time (gone by about 1 hour).

A study in Australia showed that all of their cases of measles transmission were associated with prolonged exposure (at least 20 minutes). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....9094/

Being coughed on or sneezed on by someone contagious is very serious, however.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 4:30 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I would go - and do my best to prevent my child from being exposed to measles. Which means - everyone please stay away from the baby.

You seemed to say there is no reason to avoid getting measles. Big difference.

I didn't say that. I said the chances of her getting hurt in some other way are greater than her chances of catching the measles in the bungalow colony AND being damaged by it. People aren't falling like flies from measles. So like others said, keep your baby next to you, don't let others hold her, be careful in indoor places, if there was a known exposure don't go there and be normal!

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 4:35 pm
measles is airborne, 90% contagious to unvaxxed, lingers in the air for two hours

a bungalow colony is like camp it is lots more people which means lots more exposure, think of the parents, sibs, and the baby

I wouldn't take an unvaxxed baby

not worth the risk

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:07 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I didn't say that. I said the chances of her getting hurt in some other way are greater than her chances of catching the measles in the bungalow colony AND being damaged by it. People aren't falling like flies from measles. So like others said, keep your baby next to you, don't let others hold her, be careful in indoor places, if there was a known exposure don't go there and be normal!

There are loads of health and safety hazards in the bungalows. The worry about measles isn't so much about people walking around outside but the kids are always going in and out of every bungalow so if someone comes down with measles or anything contagious, the kids who come over to play can catch it. It is so communal that your grilled hot dogs will attract the neighbors kids.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:13 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Yes me Wave

I am pregnant and my titers are too low.

You are smart

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
There are loads of health and safety hazards in the bungalows. The worry about measles isn't so much about people walking around outside but the kids are always going in and out of every bungalow so if someone comes down with measles or anything contagious, the kids who come over to play can catch it. It is so communal that your grilled hot dogs will attract the neighbors kids.

I understood OP was asking about a visit of a few hours! She can watch/hold her 2 month old baby the whole time. Not so complicated. I'd babywear for those few hours. Keeps baby covered and protected.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:21 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I understood OP was asking about a visit of a few hours! She can watch/hold her 2 month old baby the whole time. Not so complicated. I'd babywear for those few hours. Keeps baby covered and protected.

As long as the baby is kept away from people.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:38 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
You are smart

Thank you! It's such a bummer. And it's so hot in the city! But we'll be ok Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 5:43 pm
southernbubby wrote:
As long as the baby is kept away from people.

Or from where people had been in the previous 2 hours.

I wonder if all those threads questioning "why the outrage" "why such anger" towards antivaxers is penned by the same people who equate it with "catching germs".

I think they truly dont understand how much more contagious it is than other diseases, and they also dont understand the consequences it can have ch"v.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics