Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Adhd strattera

bwm9578

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 11:36 pm
when on stimulants for adhd my 13 year old son hates doing all the things he loves example playing baseball or drums. he doesn't want to go out or do anything just stays home and does nothing. is really not himself. he hates taking it because says it makes him tired and not want to do anything. the lower dose does nothing for him and the next higher dose makes him like this. I tried a few different stimulants over the years they all weren't good for him. thinking of switching to a non stimulant like Strattera. has anybody tried this with positive results?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 11:45 pm
No reason to stick with a medication that isn't working for him. What does his psychiatrist say?

bwm9578

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 11:50 pm
goes to neurologist. he says that's the side effects...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 11:55 pm
bwm9578 wrote:
goes to neurologist. he says that's the side effects...

Time for a new doctor, that's a lazy answer. I would strongly recommend a pediatric psychiatrist. Also be aware that during puberty it's normal to expect changes in terms of how he reacts to meds. Many people have a good experience with non stimulants, but you need a personalized recommendation form a GOOD psychiatrist.

bwm9578

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 12:09 am
thanks I agree about the dr. I have basically had to be my sons dr over the years doing trial and error

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 12:25 am
We have decent results with strattera. (Better than with stimulants but still room for improvement.)

Dr is Harvey Kranzler in UWS

Mental health stinks Yawn

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 12:28 am
My 8 year old is doing great on straterra and intuniv together. It’s atypical but he’s made a ton of progressive.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 8:08 am
It's very common for teens to have opposite reactions to medications. I don't know why, but it's true. That's why there are "black box" warnings.

Stimulants can make a kid into a zombie.
Antidepressants can make a kid suicidal.
Sedatives can make a kid hyper.

Not always, but it's something to take seriously. If a med isn't working, tell the doctor you want to stop! If it's safe to stop without tapering, then just stop and insist on a new med.

You know your kid best, so don't let a doctor bully you. If you are feeling pressured, then switch doctors ASAP. Your kid needs you to be a strong advocate, and he can't always describe his side effects as accurately as you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)