Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
A way to solve the tuition crisis
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:35 am
southernbubby wrote:
This guy makes his living driving people to airports and said that he doesn't buy matching clothes for his 12, keneinahora, kids. Where does all this wealth come from?

Go spend some time in KJ. You will see the matching clothes, chandeliers, beautiful furniture in every teenager's apartment.

Officially, KJ is the poorest community. But you will never see homeless or gangs or or street walkers or other markers of poverty. They deal with a world of their own making consisting of a unique economy. 93% are on Medicaid. Similar high percentages are on other programs.

There are wonderful tzedukah programs. And the people do an amazing amount of chessed. They also aggressively grant write.

It's incredible what can be done in a closed community.
[edited]

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:45 am
if it's really true that they are getting government programs then they shouldn't be used as role models.
[Edited]

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:47 am
Toronto is known to be a wealthy community. So I'm not surprised they have pools.
BY of Baltimore currently has one, too (well until they sell that campus). But it's an ojtdoor, no frills pool, and was only built to save money-- when they were first building that campus they were told they needed to build a water tower for fire safety regulations. But building a pool was acceptable too, because in case of emergency fire hoses could be hooked up to the pool water (a much cheaper option). But honestly, those are the only schools I've heard of with pools.
And most extra curricular parties and trips do have fees. The students do lots of fundraisers otherwise to cover that kind of stuff.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:48 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Go spend some time in KJ. You will see the matching clothes, chandeliers, beautiful furniture in every teenager's apartment.

Officially, KJ is the poorest community. But you will never see homeless or gangs or or street walkers or other markers of poverty. They deal with a world of their own making consisting of a unique economy. 93% are on Medicaid. Similar high percentages are on other programs.

There are wonderful tzedukah programs. And the people do an amazing amount of chessed. They also aggressively grant write.

You're surprised that a closed chassidish community doesn't have homeless people, gangs or street walkers as markers of poverty despite being an officially poor community? Can't Believe It I have no idea what else goes on there and I couldn't care less, I don't live there so it's not my business. You don't need to post lashon hara on anyone (there's literally no toeles here, if you're at all familiar with the halachos of toeles). I just find it bizarre that you're bringing this as some sort of evidence.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:58 am
may I ask why my post was reported. I only said "if" I purposely didn't want to jump to say that's the reality. I have no idea and have no interest in badmouthing a community.

Is it offensive to say that there is an issue with taking government funds?

I just would hate for someone to badmouth a community like that, especially in a way that can be seen by anyone on the internet and especially in a way that makes it sound good.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:03 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
may I ask why my post was reported. I only said "if" I purposely didn't want to jump to say that's the reality. I have no idea and have no interest in badmouthing a community.

I just would hate for someone to badmouth a community like that, especially in a way that can be seen by anyone on the internet and especially in a way that makes it sound good.

I don't know KJ, but I know plenty of poor Chassidish people. The reason they're not homeless, sometimes, is because someone is helping them pay their mortgage/rent.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:04 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

I reported it to bring the attention of the moderators. It's the post before yours that is problematic

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:19 am
ok thats what I figured but wasn't sure. thanks for clarifying.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:55 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Yeah, but that would be like biting the hand that feeds them.

I'm not really sure what the aveirah is of living well if you have the money?

There's living wel and there's Italian (?) furniture to a child

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:25 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
You're surprised that a closed chassidish community doesn't have homeless people, gangs or street walkers as markers of poverty despite being an officially poor community? Can't Believe It I have no idea what else goes on there and I couldn't care less, I don't live there so it's not my business. You don't need to post lashon hara on anyone (there's literally no toeles here, if you're at all familiar with the halachos of toeles). I just find it bizarre that you're bringing this as some sort of evidence.

I answered a question 100% truthfully. We are trying to figure out a solution to the tuition crisis. What did I bring it as evidence of? I gave a factual answer without an agenda.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:27 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
if it's really true that they are getting government programs then they shouldn't be used as role models.
[Edited]

I was not using the community as a role model. I was answering SB's question. The community may be the poorest on paper, but it is far from a destitute community.

When you compare different communities, they have different ways of doing things that will not transfer.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:10 pm
Ruchel wrote:
There's living wel and there's Italian (?) furniture to a child

I don't know anyone chassidish with Italian furniture. No idea what green is taking about

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

[edited]

What’s the point of this post? You sound bitter.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I disagree. I think there are lots of extras that don't contribute to the quality of the education. I truly don't believe that my kids have a better education than I did because they have a smart board in each classroom, for example. And while my preschool kids are very excited with the projects they come home with, I'm sure that they would not be less excited with fewer projects that don't use as many materials, and simpler ones at that. Whatever, those are just a couple of random examples. I think the schools feel pressured to measure up which raises the costs even while the educational standards are not affected.

Chassidish schools are subsidized heavily by the mosad, they're in a completely different category.

As a teacher I disagree about the smart board. The smart board allows class to be more interactive for different learners and allows teachers to teach using many resources to provide better education. In addition, many Times smartboards and other technology is donated. I think schools can save in other ways... With regards to supplies, I think some schools should budget better, for example, preschool teachers copying thick booklets of coloring pages about the parsha is great but its a waste of money using all that copying paper.

There are a lot of ways schools can save. But, even with increased tuition, schools are not really paying teachers better. The schools dont let parents decide how they spend just as we parents dont let others tell us that if we cut out the cleaning lady or....sheitel washing or....then the school can get more tuition....

Everyone spends differently including schools. However, many parents who are not teaching those kids dont understand the significance of better, up to date technology.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 3:35 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Toronto is known to be a wealthy community. So I'm not surprised they have pools.
BY of Baltimore currently has one, too (well until they sell that campus). But it's an ojtdoor, no frills pool, and was only built to save money-- when they were first building that campus they were told they needed to build a water tower for fire safety regulations. But building a pool was acceptable too, because in case of emergency fire hoses could be hooked up to the pool water (a much cheaper option). But honestly, those are the only schools I've heard of with pools.
And most extra curricular parties and trips do have fees. The students do lots of fundraisers otherwise to cover that kind of stuff.

They're planning to sell the campus?
I assumed that the pools were money makers - for camp and the community at large.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:26 pm
Yes, they've been trying for a couple of years, I heard. The goal is to move the elementary school over to join the middle and high school.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:33 pm
"Officially, KJ is the poorest community. But you will never see homeless or gangs or or street walkers or other markers of poverty. They deal with a world of their own making consisting of a unique economy. 93% are on Medicaid. Similar high percentages are on other programs"

Sometimes it just boils down to
Boruch shelo asani akum
In the LES in the depression years most of the Jews weren't religious.
There was no FS Wic Sec 8 SS etc...
Almost everyone was dirt poor
And yet there was gangs drugs s walkers etc....

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:44 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I don't know anyone chassidish with Italian furniture. No idea what green is taking about

Seriously!? Stop into any random apt in Williamsburg, BP, and KJ and check out the furniture.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:52 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
What’s the point of this post? You sound bitter.

Bitter about what?

I love observing different societies. It's fascinating to me.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:04 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
As a teacher I disagree about the smart board. The smart board allows class to be more interactive for different learners and allows teachers to teach using many resources to provide better education. In addition, many Times smartboards and other technology is donated. I think schools can save in other ways... With regards to supplies, I think some schools should budget better, for example, preschool teachers copying thick booklets of coloring pages about the parsha is great but its a waste of money using all that copying paper.

There are a lot of ways schools can save. But, even with increased tuition, schools are not really paying teachers better. The schools dont let parents decide how they spend just as we parents dont let others tell us that if we cut out the cleaning lady or....sheitel washing or....then the school can get more tuition....

Everyone spends differently including schools. However, many parents who are not teaching those kids dont understand the significance of better, up to date technology.

At the girls school I sent to, the smart boards were bought with government funds. This school is considered one odd the best. The teachers didn't know how to use the smart boards. The federal money available for teacher trading was not used for this purpose. The teachers rarely had any credentials past HS where they could have learned this in teacher school. The emphasis was on the teacher being able to control the large classes.

The teachers can use what they don't know. I blame administration for not instructing these instructors.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics