Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA: Bicycle HELMETS!!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:27 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I have a question. How important is it to strap the helmet tightly under the chin? I am very strict about helmet wearing but they complain that the strap itches or is sweaty and they end up loosening it.
Does the helmet offer zero protection if not strapped snugly?

Tell your child to shake his head hard and lean forward and backward. Whereever the helmet falls is what will be protected.
So I guess you could decide that half a head is better than none What . Banging head

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:51 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I have a question. How important is it to strap the helmet tightly under the chin? I am very strict about helmet wearing but they complain that the strap itches or is sweaty and they end up loosening it.
Does the helmet offer zero protection if not strapped snugly?

My rule is that if it's loose enough that you can push it back and it doesn't protect the forehead- it's not considered wearing the helmet.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:32 am
I had the guy at the bike store go through this with me.
I came away with two main points:

1 - the helmet should come over a good deal of the forehead - so that if there is a bump to the front of the head there is actually some protection there (as opposed to the way they sometimes tip backwards, away from the forehead).
2 - the strap shouldn't be loose - you want it to stay put! However you also don't want it to be uncomfortably tight.... so you have the child tilt their head upward - chin up! and then adjust. This way you know that it isn't going to be too tight in any position that the head may be in.

Also, helmet have expiration dates - just like car seats (which are made of similar materials).

soap suds

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:00 am
Miri1 wrote:

Also, helmet have expiration dates - just like car seats (which are made of similar materials).

I've always wondered about this. Assuming it didn't get any major bumps, why would it lose its ability to provide protection?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:58 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Stupid question, does a three wheeled non electric scooter need a helmet too?

In my house, I'm pretty strict about wearing helmets, but not really for the 3 wheel toddler scooters and for tricycles. (Anyway, the kids that ride those are too little to ride on the street and they only do it in the small, enclosed yard we share with our neighbors) When they ride regular scooters, bikes, balance bikes, etc., they know that it comes with a helmet.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:00 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I clearly remember a 9 year old boy in my neighborhood going on his bike without a helmet, being hit by a car and unfortunately landing on his head and being killed.
Was so traumatic. Made us realize why my parents were so insistent re helmets!

What I don’t understand is why it takes a tragic accident to make this clear. Common sense should do the trick. 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:05 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
In my house, I'm pretty strict about wearing helmets, but not really for the 3 wheel toddler scooters and for tricycles. (Anyway, the kids that ride those are too little to ride on the street and they only do it in the small, enclosed yard we share with our neighbors) When they ride regular scooters, bikes, balance bikes, etc., they know that it comes with a helmet.

You can wipe-out on a three-wheeler just as much as on a regular scooter. My kids have all had mishaps on their three-wheeled scooters where I have been grateful for their wearing a helmet. In order for an older kid to wear a helmet all the time, no questions asked, they need to be in the habit from a very young age. My youngest saw his older siblings wear helmets. He also saw that if he wanted to scoot to the park vs just play at home, mommy only let if he wore a helmet. And while he didn’t immediately take to it, by 2.5 years it was a habit for him. Seat belts in the car; helmets for outside wheels. Simple.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 3:22 am
Put on the helmet then try to touch your forehead to the wall the helmet should touch, preventing contact. The straps have to be adjusted. I’ve noticed that they are put in to go against your neck. The straps should go under the chin. Loosen the back one and tighten the front one until it is comfortable. Make sure the padding fits too.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 3:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
BH my ds will be fine (once his stiches and cast are removed) after his horrible bike accident. No head injury, BH, BH. Yes he was wearing his helmet. I can't even think about what could have happened if not. The helmet got cracked; his head is fine!!!!

I see tons of kids riding without helmets. My kids don't listen to everything I say but they know helmets are not negotiable. I know you have to choose your battles; this one is necessary.

(Anon because everyone who knows me will recognize this post. Hey y'all!)

Or they might think it's me b/c I literally could have written that post!! Hi!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:29 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
There was a 16 year old boy from B.P. that nebach got killed while riding his bike. And he was wearing a helmet..
So if its meant to be it will happen..

What is the point of this post? To ridicule the notion that wearing a helmet is a good protective idea?

Helmets are not magic entities that offer people superpowers. If you are on a wheeled mode of transport like a bike or scooter, there is an element of risk involved. That risk includes minor knee scrapes at one end of the spectrum and cvs death at the other. Ditto crossing the road. We assume the risk in daily life. Helmet use on bicycles offers a major decrease in injury risk. The likelihood hat you will suffer only a minor injury in case of an accident is significantly higher. I feel so strongly about this, I can’t fathom that a poster would mention the fact that helmets don’t offer 100% protection. We know this, only abstaining from the activity does. 🙄

Signed: an amother who had a major crash on a fast downhill while mountain biking in her youth, but suffered only a minor concussion vs probable death due to wearing a helmet.

Some stats below:

https://bicycleuniverse.com/st.....lmet/

Israeli_C

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 7:24 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm glad to hear that your son was not more seriously hurt.

I saw a bunch of young boys riding their bikes around my block, and they had all of their helmets piled up in a corner. Obviously their moms sent them out protected, but the second they got outside they decided that it wasn't "cool" anymore. The youngest boy in the group was only about 4 or 5.

I really wanted to yell at them, but none of them seemed to speak English. Sad

Next time yell "Simu kasdaot!"

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 8:49 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Stupid question, does a three wheeled non electric scooter need a helmet too?

YES. My cousin just had a serious concussion while riding on a nonelectric scooter. He has been hospitalized for a week and they are not sure when/if he will be like he was before.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 8:54 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
There was a 16 year old boy from B.P. that nebach got killed while riding his bike. And he was wearing a helmet..

Good point. One should also not bother with seatbelts, food expiration dates, or any kind of medical care.

The point is, we do our hishtadlus. That doesn't mean we don't need ratzon Hashem, but we are supposed to do whatever we can to be safe and well.

cbsp

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

He was nebach hit by a car /truck.

The helmet isn't a magic bubble.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:22 am
soap suds wrote:
I've always wondered about this. Assuming it didn't get any major bumps, why would it lose its ability to provide protection?

The shock absorbing materials start to be less so over time. That is why even a car seat that has never been in an accident will expire.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics