Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD embarrassed of bra
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 9:51 pm
My 10 yr old dd is soooo nervous to go to day camp tomorrow. She is afraid to get undressed and dressed for swimming since she just started to wear a sports bra and most girls her age dont need to wear one yet. How can I make her feel better about this?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 9:53 pm
Can she change in a bathroom stall?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 9:56 pm
You can buy undershirts with a built in sports bra

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 9:56 pm
Why do they change in public? My younger girls change in stalls at the pool.

aricelli

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 9:57 pm
I bought my 10 year old the undershirts with the built in bra and she’s totally cool with that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:02 pm
the camp has a rule that they all need to change in their classroom. Maybe I can get the undershirt bras. Where would I get them?

aricelli

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:05 pm
I got them on amazon. Two different companies: hanes and - cant remember! One has a tighter elastic around the bra part. She didnt try both yet so I dont know which is better.

aricelli

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:05 pm
My daughter needs to change in the room as well!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:12 pm
At 10?? Such a lack of tznius. They don't make barriers with towels or anything?

yksraya

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:20 pm
Change in same room? That's bizarre!

DD's day camp actually has a rule of "only 1 girl per stall".

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:25 pm
Totally not appropriate. I’d call the camp and say my daughter needs permission to change in the bathroom.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the camp has a rule that they all need to change in their classroom. Maybe I can get the undershirt bras. Where would I get them?

In bp you can get it by the lingerie shop (neuschloss)

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:52 pm
For all those up in arms about everyone changing in the room, do you think they each go into the bathroom stall to change in sleepaway camp?
No, there are tricks. You get dressed under your shirt and take your underwear off after you put your bathing suit on.

yksraya

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:55 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
For all those up in arms about everyone changing in the room, do you think they each go into the bathroom stall to change in sleepaway camp?
No, there are tricks. You get dressed under your shirt and take your underwear off after you put your bathing suit on.

In the camps I've been to as a kid, and in the camps dd goes to, all the girls change in the bathrooms or showers in their bunk. There might be select few who do change in room with tricks. But for the most, they change in private.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 11:14 pm
I think it’s fine for kids to change in the same room IF they are comfortable with it. Forcing a preteen, whose at that self conscious stage to change in front of her peers is NOT okay at all.

As a parent I would respectfully explain to the head counselor or administrator that your daughter is more physically developed then her peers, and it will cause her distress to change in front of them. As her mother you don’t think it’s ok for her to be in such a situation and are therefore requesting understanding in allowing her to change in the bathroom. Any normal administrator or head counselor should agree.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 11:19 pm
There are 2 links for undershirts with built in bras here.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....62211

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 11:50 pm
How can you take underwear off after putting on a bathing suit?

momof2+?

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:17 am
You leave your skirt on, remove underwear, put on bathing suit up to your waist. Keep shirt on while pulling arms out of sleeves, remove bra, pull up bathing suit over shoulders. Tadah!

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:43 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
How can you take underwear off after putting on a bathing suit?

Only works if it's a 2-piece swimsuit with one component being a skirt (with no attached pants/underwear) or dress.

I agree that pre-teen girls should not have to possess the skills of Harry Houdini in order to feel comfortable going to camp.

Can your DD change into the top part of her swimsuit in a bathroom stall during some bathroom break *before* everyone else is going to change. If swimming is in the morning, can she wear her swim shirt as her regular shirt?

A lot of this depends on what style swimsuit she has.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:08 am
dd camp has the same policy, it seems (she's still a preschooler, so doesn't bother me). They also have a rule that bathrobes need to have a front zipper closure. I assume that would make it easier for the tweens and teens to change in a more private fashion?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children