Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Should I hire a man who was in jail?
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:10 pm
soap suds wrote:
I'm wondering why he'd tell you that he was in jail. Even if he is trustworthy, why would he go around telling people? I don't know whether this would make me trust him more or less, just throwing it out there.

He could be saying it for sympathy.

He could be saying it first, so that when other people find out, he can't be accused of hiding the truth. Better to out yourself, than have someone else do it for you.

I've hired a few homeless people to do yard work in the past. I don't know if they have a criminal past or not. We never discussed it. I didn't get into their personal lives, we were strictly business.

They were all extremely polite, called me ma'am, etc. If they were thirsty, they drank from the garden hose. If they needed to pee, they went down the street to the nearest gas station. At no time did they EVER ask to come into the house.

Asking to come inside would be a red flag for me, but they never once made me feel uncomfortable.

Bottom line, trust your gut reactions.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:17 pm
FF our guts are messed up by all the pc going on. I also tend to be softer on the homeless population though.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:21 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
[u]I just reread what you wrote and these 2 sentences jumped out at me.
someone jewish usually doesn't feel a need to convince you that he's jewish unless he's not.

No one usually offers information on the length of their jail time. If it was for a long time, this should be reason enough to make inquiries about it for all intent and purposes, not just for hiring, for the simple thing of inviting him for a Shabbos meal or whatever.[/u]

I've no idea if the guy is Jewish. I understand why that would be of concern to the shul, but haven't a clue why you would care if your gardener is Jewish. In any case, OP pointed out that he does not "look" Jewish -- which I'm guessing means that he doesn't appear Caucasian -- and explained that his father is not Jewish, but his mother is.

As to jail time, what is he supposed to say when people ask him where he's worked for the past few years, or where he's been living. Its bound to come up; why not be proactive.

OP, in some states, you can do a prisoner lookup. For NY, its here: http://nysdoccslookup.doccs.ny.gov/

But if he's doing a good job, why not give him a chance? I'm not saying to invite him for dinner or rent him a room, but let him garden.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:34 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Its very easy to say you are Jewish and join a shul these days.

But, he could lying and looking for ways to break in or do worse Chas v shalom.

He could also be a nice person who had a hard childhood and joined with bad ppl....

Its really up to you if you should trust him. Since we don't know the future or his past, everyone decides whether to trust or not, whether to take a chance.

Its seems you decided to trust, and your DD is more cautious.

I, personally, heard too many horror stories such that I try to be extra cautious even if ppl ask me for directions, I say I don't know and quickly leave. I'm too afraid especially since Levi Aron was Jewish yet he....
And since I'm naturally trusting, I try to be extra cautious, such that I do the other extreme. I also tell my kids be wary of ppl asking for help...it could be a trick....

The world today is scary with crazy ppl so its crazy that I can't trust ppl askng for directions or for help. You just never know.

So, now its up to you if you still want to take a chance with him.

Nothing new. Always have, always will be untrustworthy people.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:37 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
[u]I just reread what you wrote and these 2 sentences jumped out at me.
someone jewish usually doesn't feel a need to convince you that he's jewish unless he's not.

No one usually offers information on the length of their jail time. If it was for a long time, this should be reason enough to make inquiries about it for all intent and purposes, not just for hiring, for the simple thing of inviting him for a Shabbos meal or whatever.[/u]

Do you regularly converse with ex-cons?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:39 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Do you regularly converse with ex-cons?
Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics