Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Ground meat question

tsc3

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:25 am
I made meatballs before the expiration date on the ground meat package, and froze it. Now I'm pretty sure the expiration date passed. Is it safe to eat the meatballs?

Does it make a difference that the meat was bought frozen not fresh, defrosted to make the meatballs and refrozen?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:36 am
It should be fine.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:37 am
I assume you're talking about raw meat... If the meat was fine when you froze the meatballs, then they'll be fine when you take them out of the freezer. For example, if you froze raw meatballs 2 days before the expiration date, then they have 2 days to defrost and remain fresh. That said, so much freezing and defrosting isn't great for the quality of the meat. While it won't be rancid, it's not going to be as great as freshly made. And you should cook them right away (dumping them straight into sauce to cook is a good idea).

tsc3

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:26 am
nicole81 wrote:
I assume you're talking about raw meat... If the meat was fine when you froze the meatballs, then they'll be fine when you take them out of the freezer. For example, if you froze raw meatballs 2 days before the expiration date, then they have 2 days to defrost and remain fresh. That said, so much freezing and defrosting isn't great for the quality of the meat. While it won't be rancid, it's not going to be as great as freshly made. And you should cook them right away (dumping them straight into sauce to cook is a good idea).

Good to know!
Thank you.
I live in Israel, fresh meat isn't so popular here...

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:45 pm
I'd always thought that the conventional wisdom is that if you prep and freeze food it should only be with fresh raw meat/poultry, not defrosted. I've since heard that if it stays really cold the whole time it should be ok. I'm not paskening, though.
If you ever have questions like this, call the USDA. They're very helpful.

angelgirl

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:57 pm
As long as they were cooked and then re frozen that’s fine- you don’t specify if you cooked them, just you made them. Sorry I’m not being pedantic but it could just mean you rolled them and refroze to cook fresh when you wanted to eat them.

Raw meat can be defrosted to be cooked and then refrozen but you must never re freeze raw meat a second time.

tsc3

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:38 pm
angelgirl wrote:
As long as they were cooked and then re frozen that’s fine- you don’t specify if you cooked them, just you made them. Sorry I’m not being pedantic but it could just mean you rolled them and refroze to cook fresh when you wanted to eat them.

Raw meat can be defrosted to be cooked and then refrozen but you must never re freeze raw meat a second time.

Yes it was cooked in the oven, not in a sauce. When I take it out I will cook it in a sauce. Is that ok?
Thanks

angelgirl

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:09 pm
tsc3 wrote:
Yes it was cooked in the oven, not in a sauce. When I take it out I will cook it in a sauce. Is that ok?
Thanks

Cooked is cooked! Should be absolutely fine. When reheating just smell when hot to check it smells ok but no reason it shouldn’t be fine.

Bob appetite!

tsc3

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:29 pm
Thank you!

angelgirl

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:56 pm
tsc3 wrote:
Thank you!

But lol sorry- should have been Bon appetite!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics