Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
4 yr old constantly needs me to focus on him. Any advice?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:45 pm
Title says it all. Not sure if he’s looking for attention, or something deeper. Some examples:
-He will always let me know he needs to use the bathroom, even though he goes on his own and takes care of himself.
-He always lets me know when he did something good and asking for compliment
-When he gets the slightest boo-boo, he comes asking for a kiss
-Will always tell me about his 2 yr old brother that bothered him/hurt him/wasn’t nice to him...
Is he looking for attention? How can I give it to him in this context? TIA

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:51 pm
That’s draining!
It sounds like he is letting you know what he needs... hopefully when he gets it he will get easier.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Title says it all. Not sure if he’s looking for attention, or something deeper. Some examples:
-He will always let me know he needs to use the bathroom, even though he goes on his own and takes care of himself.
-Will always tell me about his 2 yr old brother that bothered him/hurt him/wasn’t nice to him...

You wrote it in the title. Your 4 year old needs you to focus on him. So do that. Maybe even anticipate it and give him compliment before he has to ask you for it.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:58 pm
Sounds age appropriate to me!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:59 pm
Sounds normal to me. Or at least it’s how you describe my 4 year old. I didn’t realize it was atypical.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Totally normal - you're describing every day life in myr home

It means you're a great mother that your son can identify his emotional needs and feels comfortable coming to you to get them met

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:04 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I keep telling/showing him that he has the tools to deal with his problems. Should I continue doing that or just sympathize every time?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I keep telling/showing him that he has the tools to deal with his problems. Should I continue doing that or just sympathize every time?

Meet him where he is not where you want him
To be

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Totally normal.

You can do both. First offer sympathy, and then prompt him to come up with solutions to his problems. Only offer to help him if he asks, or he is obviously struggling.

"Oh honey, that looks like it hurts a lot! What should we do to make that feel better? Do you know where the bandaids are? Go get them, and we'll fix you right up."

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:16 pm
Wow, I was expecting to read something totally different! Yup, this is exactly what a four year old should be doing. I would respond the way he expects you to, because you're setting the foundation for your
lifelong relationship with him. If the message he gets is, my mother wishes I would be more independent/ less demanding/ less needy, it can affect him on a deep level. And can affect his perception of himself in other relationships as well. He needs to feel that his stuff is important to you and he's not a burden in any way.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just sympathize. You want to fulfill his emotional needs now, so that he develops a sense that you are someone he can count on.

behappy2

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 6:15 pm
My daughter is 3 and cones to me with every boo boo and wants a kiss exactly on that spot. I taught her hire to kiss herself and how to spread a kiss to other spots. I use it sometimes when I passed my Mommy patience limit.

Also some kids if you preempt it they won't come to you. Dinah Friedman has a method for dealing with this.

Another idea that could be helpful is locking you kid in your feet ahs telling them they can't get away. This playful game helps kids feel secure. You could even play tag or hide and seek. These are all good games.

Boobasheli

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 7:40 pm
It sounds like pretty typical behavior to me. Maybe he just has that type of personality, where he likes to engage with others. It's a communicative type.

sushilover

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 7:47 pm
What worries you?

Is it that you aren't sure if this behavior is normal?
Or do you feel drained by the fact that he is needy?
Or are you worried that he isn't learning to problem solve without your input?

tf

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sympathize and keep him talking. Let this be the beginning of a warm and meaningful relationship between parents and child.
Also, do private time specifically to talk about his day and yours. No reprimands in private time. No game or story. Just unloading what’s on his chest.
When he comes to you with stam reports use his exact words and turn it into a question. It’ll encourage him to talk more and keep the togetherness strong.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:12 pm
Sounds typical for a child that age.
At one point my daughter needed lots of kisses every few seconds for minor and invisible boo boos- her way of asking for mommy's attention. If she came to me when I was busy and knew I'll be busy for a few minutes I gave her a kiss and hug, told her I'll be busy for a few and then put many kisses for her into her pocket/ pretend play pocket book she liked and told her to close save it for when she needed it and to be careful not to tip them out. It really worked a lot of the time and she'd pull out kisses as needed:) She was 3 then.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:27 am
IMO he’s jealous of the 2 year old

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 7:00 am
behappy2 wrote:
My daughter is 3 and cones to me with every boo boo and wants a kiss exactly on that spot. I taught her hire to kiss herself and how to spread a kiss to other spots. I use it sometimes when I passed my Mommy patience limit.

Also some kids if you preempt it they won't come to you. Dinah Friedman has a method for dealing with this.

Another idea that could be helpful is locking you kid in your feet ahs telling them they can't get away. This playful game helps kids feel secure. You could even play tag or hide and seek. These are all good games.

Why would you want to make your child come to you less? At this age when they need you and are always willing to cuddle? You'll miss that when they're older and suddenly don't have time for you anymore.

Stars

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 7:23 am
Aaaah 4 year old heaven. Totally normal. It'll pass. Is he being a drama queen, like kvetching and crying for every shtuss? In my house kisses etc are reserved for when you switch to a big kid tone.

EPL

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:00 am
You should encourage him to soothe himself, but always remember to validate his response, by asking him "whether he's proud of himself".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics