Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Poconos - delaware water gap area

sky

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 1:34 pm
Can you please share attractions in poconos area - specifically in the general area of the delaware water gap or nearby.
We will have a baby with us so I’d prefer doing activities that are safe with a baby but would use a baby carrier or would consider extra special options for other children without the baby

We have been to bushkill and dingman falls and quiet valley so looking for other attractions.

I’d love info for water attractions, extra special hikes or really anything else.

Also if it’s a water sport can you describe if you went weekday or weekend and how crowded it was and how people dressed.

Thanks!

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:36 pm
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Ricketts Glen State Park is absolutely out-of-this-world. A 3-4 mile relatively level hike that takes you past about 20 waterfalls, one every 5-10 minutes. In the immediate Water Gap area, we really enjoyed the Mt. Tammany hike, not too strenuous if you have a good baby carrier.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:09 pm
doctorima wrote:
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Ricketts Glen State Park is absolutely out-of-this-world. A 3-4 mile relatively level hike that takes you past about 20 waterfalls, one every 5-10 minutes. In the immediate Water Gap area, we really enjoyed the Mt. Tammany hike, not too strenuous if you have a good baby carrier.

Ricketts Glen we did 2 years ago. It’s amaZing and would definetly do again. Just scared to take both a 3 yr old and a baby.

I’ll look into mt Tammany. Thanks.

esther36

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 1:09 am
doctorima wrote:
Smile
Can the hike be done with a stroller?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:58 pm
Unfortunately Ricketts Glen isn't stroller friendly. We've done it several times with a little one in a child carrier on the back, if that's an option for you.

noosheen

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 5:49 am
Also planning on going there with family for 4 days. We have kids ranging in age from. 1.5 years to 7. Is this an appropriate vaca spot for them?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 5:57 am
Honestly, with such young kids I'd go somewhere more child friendly.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 4:04 pm
noosheen wrote:
Also planning on going there with family for 4 days. We have kids ranging in age from. 1.5 years to 7. Is this an appropriate vaca spot for them?

If this was addressed to me, I'd say that Ricketts Glen isn't really meant for those ages. The youngest would need to be in a child carrier, and the older ones may struggle with it and won't be able to fully enjoy it. Once you start and get into it, there's no way out and you have to finish the full loop, which may be challenging for them.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:28 pm
george w child park - we went there 2 yrs ago with our kids - was so much fun, short hike, 3 sets of falls, the last 2 u can go into them. def need a child carrier. last summer we went back and it was closed for fixing up

sky

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:33 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

We love the outdoors. Camp fires for breakfast and supper. Tons of roasted marshmallows. Hot cocoa over a fire in the morning. The fresh air. My kids love it. They are good hikers and enjoy the activities. Just this year need some more baby friendly hikes. Plus the price is great. Smile
(Plus they do so many trips already in day camp - want to do something different)

I think we are staying in kittatiny mountains.
I saw something about buttermilk falls and there is a sunset overlook you can drive to.

Also if the Boulder field in hickory run park is on the way we will stop there.

Thanks everyone for your input.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:35 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

Depends on what sort of activities your family likes to do. I’d rather be in nature at a farm, park or hike rather than in manufactured fun places like amusement parks. A lot cheaper too!

sky

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:35 pm
noosheen wrote:

Not Ricketts Glen. I did it with one baby in carrier. Next child was 5 and good walker. Wouldn’t attemp with 2 babies. Some places are really scary. I can’t wait to go back again though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics