Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Attention Queens- need help with difficult pre-teen (boy)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:43 pm
We are a yeshivish family with a very difficult 13 year old. He is basically anti yeshivish. That’s fine with me. I don’t care if he isn’t yeshivish. I do care about his middos, yiras shamayim...
He is basically going through a very rebellious stage (please Hashem, let it be a just a stage).
I have 2 questions-
Who can help me with him? (He is seeing a social worker) ..
who can have a positive influence on him and help him get out of this rut (I am willing to pay)

What can he do in the summer? I don’t want him to be with boys who can possibly bring him down more-
He doesn’t want to be with anyone remotely yeshivish...

Thank you for your ideas

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 4:52 pm
Send him to a camp gan Israel.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:08 pm
Get a full checkup at the pediatrician with labs and get a referral to a psychologist. BTDT

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:22 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Get a full checkup at the pediatrician with labs and get a referral to a psychologist. BTDT

Did that but everything shows he’s fine...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:23 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Send him to a camp gan Israel.

Why gan Israel??

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:24 pm
Have you read the explosive child? If you have not its really worth reading and going over to www.livesinthebalance.org

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:08 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Have you read the explosive child? If you have not its really worth reading and going over to www.livesinthebalance.org

Way past that... explosive child old news...

Any ideas in Queens? Hands on or an exceptional person/mentor?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:13 pm
Get him a job as a clerk in a jewish store. I know double header employs teenage girls going thru difficult times. I'm sure there's someone who hires boys.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did that but everything shows he’s fine...

The best would be for him to learn with a beis boy but it seems he won’t be up for it. Have his rebbeim been helpful? If you’re Chofetz Chaim derech there should be some options.

He may need antidepressant/anti anxiety medication. I’m far from someone that usually suggests this FWIW. Don’t let it get too bad that he causes damage to himself and his relationships.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:37 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Get him a job as a clerk in a jewish store. I know double header employs teenage girls going thru difficult times. I'm sure there's someone who hires boys.

I don't think the crowd that works in Queens stores is one that OP wants her son with.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:47 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I don't think the crowd that works in Queens stores is one that OP wants her son with.

Right but thanks for the idea

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
The best would be for him to learn with a beis boy but it seems he won’t be up for it. Have his rebbeim been helpful? If you’re Chofetz Chaim derech there should be some options.

He may need antidepressant/anti anxiety medication. I’m far from someone that usually suggests this FWIW. Don’t let it get too bad that he causes damage to himself and his relationships.

I had him evaluated for medication and I was told that he doesn’t need even though I would have been happy to try.

Who is a good contact in cc who deals with boys like this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children