Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Extended maternity leave

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 1:21 pm
How does maternity leave work if the employer obviously wants the employee back asap, but employee is entitled to disability plus family leave and can be out for quite a few weeks?
If I want to be out as long as I can, is that ok despite my employer's feelings about it?

gribzoid

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does maternity leave work if the employer obviously wants the employee back asap, but employee is entitled to disability plus family leave and can be out for quite a few weeks?
If I want to be out as long as I can, is that ok despite my employer's feelings about it?

If you have a human resources department, please check with them about how much time you are entitled to. My understanding is that your boss cannot force you to come back earlier.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:53 pm
It may vary from state to state. Firstly, no employer can demand that you work when your doctor has you on disability. Secondly, in nj family can be taken continuous or intermittently. It is my understanding that that if it taken continuous with disability your employer cannot deny it however intermittent leave needs your employers approval. HR should be aware of all the regulations. To qualify for family leave there is a minimum number of hours you must have worked in the last year. I don't know if there is a size requirement for the business to be required to allow family leave, again HR should have the answer to that.
Bshaah tova! Hope all goes smoothly and well!!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, it’s fine to take your full maternity leave, despite your employer’s feelings on the matter. Don’t let them guilt you into coming back earlier. Just tell them “I will be gone for X number of weeks;” don’t make it a discussion.

Also, have people at work explicitly said to you that they want you back sooner rather than later? Or are you assuming that? If the latter, don’t worry about it - they probably assume you will take your full legally allowed allotment.

simba

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:07 pm
I recently took the full 12 weeks NYS allows and my employer was less then thrilled. They legally had to hold my job for me .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics