Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Road trip

bzmommy

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 4:38 pm
Summers here ... my husband n I are both teachers. We really need a break from work and regular routine . Would like to go away without breaking the bank . We r thinking to drive from ny to New Hampshire. Was planning to stay at Arlington but many have said it’s too expensive n not worth it .
Any ideas /stops we can make along the way to n from would be great . Looking to buy some kosher foods on the way .... would prefer to eat dinner out , somewhere close to minyan too . Will be traveling with hubby n leaving kids home for a few days . Anyone done something like this before and can offer ideas and suggestions ?? Would really appreciate it . Very Happy

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 4:42 pm
New Hampshire is awesome!!!
There is gorgeous scenery, and lots of things to do.
We stayed in Lincoln - there are many well priced places to stay there.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 4:52 pm
The only place to eat out in New Hampshire is at the Arlington. They charge $150 a couple for a set menu that's worth maybe $30.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 6:06 pm
We did it with kids was awesome. Would love to go back. There’s a grocery with minimal kosher items in Lincoln. Lots of minyans. We stopped along the way at a go kart place that was fun- to break up the drive.

bzmommy

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 7:56 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
We did it with kids was awesome. Would love to go back. There’s a grocery with minimal kosher items in Lincoln. Lots of minyans. We stopped along the way at a go kart place that was fun- to break up the drive.

Where is the Lincoln located?
Also what was the kosher store called?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:45 am
Price Chopper has some kosher items.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:06 am
I've never done this road trip, but I assume Lincoln is a town, not a hotel. Also, when you are in small town America and the local grocery has what is described as minimal kosher items, it really is minimal. Expect a couple of shelves of Manischewitz items like matzah and jars of gefilte fish, and *maybe* a few frozen Empire products in the freezer sections if you are lucky. Unless you are in a city with a Jewish community, or drive thru on the way to stock up, you would do best bringing food with you or planning to eat pretty basic meals, I.e. tuna and peanut butter. And you may have a hard time with finding kosher pareve bread.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:24 am
I don't know anything about this stretch of highway. But when I did a road trip with a friend. We sat down and looked at the map at the stretch of highway we were traveling. We used Google maps which shows landmarks/attractions (especially the closer you zoom in) we looked at that to figure out where to stop.

We literally stopped on a city in IL called Effingham, bc the name struck us as funny/interesting. When we saw the city, we looked it up and it actually has a few interesting museums and it was a nice little place to stop and stretch our legs for a few hours.

As for food. Most grocery stores carry national brands that are kosher. Yeah.. it's annoying not to be able to get a slice of pizza.. but I found a kosher piece of NY cheesecake at a random rest stop. You can always bring along a grilled cheese maker or a burner/frying pan.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:27 am
Right, you can always find OU products. But don't expect to find chicken or meat along the way. And no chalav Yisrael milk or even kosher cheese, unless they cater to a large clientele of frum visitors and even then, no guarantees.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:33 am
Lincoln, NH is a town just off the interstate (I-93 I believe), home to Loon Mountain, where the minyan used to be located. It's now a couple miles down the road at the Days Inn. Years ago a local non-kosher restaurant would stock up on heimish products from Brooklyn for the summer visitors, but I don't believe that is still the case.

The local Price Chopper has the best selection, or 30+ minutes away, there used to be a small grocery near the Arlington. It's a great place for a summer getaway, but it's easiest if you just bring your own food, other than basics available in any supermarket.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:42 am
Yeah, this is why frum travelers always shlep. You can't get away from it!
Unless you are going to Miami, Israel, or L.A.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:06 pm
You can go out to the Arlington if you don't want to bring food, but it's 30+ minutes each way, and it's not cheap.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:35 pm
Honestly, part of the fun of a road trip is cobbling together random meals and eating tuna sandwiches on slightly stale kosher bread you happened to find in some mom and pop store in a tiny little town. Filling up on soda and chips. Getting excited because you randomly found kosher ice cream popsicles at a rest stop like a pp mentioned. It's all in the mindset!
And you can take along those microwaveable meal mart meals for supper. Nowadays every hotel will have a microwave you can use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics