Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Doona?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:09 pm
Just got a doona as a gift. I dont like it. Am I crazy? The only pro is that it's a cool concept. Everything else is just....blah. It's heavy. The bar is sooooo low (I'm tall, but not giraffe-tall!). The wheels are tiny and absolute garbage. After researching it, it scored super low on all the safety tests.
Are there any more pros besides for convenience (which btw is not convenient for me because I live in Israel and walk everywhere. Barely ever take cabs)? Am I nuts over here?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:12 pm
Nope not nuts
I don’t have one but don’t want one

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:16 pm
I love it! In Lakewood were constantly in and out of the car so its great. The handle is perfect for me as I'm of average height. Its heavy but not too bad and I dont find the wheels small. I find the carriage very easy to maneuver its not meant to wheel on bumpy or dirt roads but I dont usually do that anyway.
Its the only carriage I have for now as I use it as a carriage and a car seat

yksraya

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:19 pm
The whole point of it is if you go by car or cab often. Or else get a better walking stroller.

The bar can adjust for lower or for taller, buy can still be on lower side if you are tall.

I'm short, so for me it was awesome. It's only heavy when lifted to put into car, otherwise, it went up stairs easily so I didn't have to lift it.

For me, I really liked the look and being that I used to use a car seat stroller before, I figured it's great. I needed a car seat and a stroller so bought only the doona. My kids are on smaller side, so they used it way after 1 yr. I used the same one for my 2 youngest, and stored it away in case I'll need it again. It's durable.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just got a doona as a gift. I dont like it. Am I crazy? The only pro is that it's a cool concept. Everything else is just....blah. It's heavy. The bar is sooooo low (I'm tall, but not giraffe-tall!). The wheels are tiny and absolute garbage. After researching it, it scored super low on all the safety tests.
Are there any more pros besides for convenience (which btw is not convenient for me because I live in Israel and walk everywhere. Barely ever take cabs)? Am I nuts over here?

It's the best sroller ever if u use it in a car. there is no way that the wheels are going to survive the stone streets of Israel what Tongue Out

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:24 pm
[quote="amother [ Mint ]"]It's the best sroller ever if u use it in a car. there is no way that the wheels are going to survive the stone streets of Israel.... They probably will break right away

yksraya

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:25 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
It's the best sroller ever if u use it in a car. there is no way that the wheels are going to survive the stone streets of Israel what Tongue Out

I was in isreal with an infant and had the doona. I did go out shopping etc. The wheels are just fine.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:28 pm
It's not a healthy position for babies to be in outside the car anyway.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
It's not a healthy position for babies to be in outside the car anyway.

Why? Whats wrong with the position?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:37 pm
I also hate it. It has no storage, the wheels are beyond junk & it's not made to use as a stroller for baby to be in all day. People in Brooklyn that are not in and out of the car use it as a regular stroller, it's a carseat not a stroller. And it's really not a good position for the baby.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:40 pm
Just sell it. It has great resale value

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Why? Whats wrong with the position?

It can cause the airway to chas veshalom get blocked and baby will stop breathing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:44 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Just sell it. It has great resale value

Yeah I think that's what I'm gonna do. It's such a stupid contraption. But good to hear that some people like it! I'll be able to get rid of it.
I have an excellent stroller (which I put tons of research into) that folds in 1 piece with 1 hand and adapts to many carseats.
Which carseat should I get? Thinking of the chicco key-something. It scored like a 9/10 on the safety tests and they say its lightweight. Anyone have it? Or have any other recommendations?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:45 pm
The position is also not good for the spine and posture. A baby's spine is still soft & can become deformed from this position.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:46 pm
I have a maxi cosi and love it. It adapts to many strollers.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:46 pm
I think it’s brilliant and it has been wonderful for me. But totally depends on your needs and lifestyle.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:04 pm
yksraya wrote:
My kids are on smaller side, so they used it way after 1 yr. I used the same one for my 2 youngest, and stored it away in case I'll need it again. It's durable.

My kids are very small. I dont have a Doona, so I dont know the measurements. However, most children have to be switched out of traditional infant car seats and in to a rear-facing carseat before or around 1 year. The car seat is only safe if there is a minimum amount of room on top of their heads on the back of the seat. It should state the measurements in the manual. It is unsafe to keep the child in longer, though I totally understand the convenience. Whether you can lift the car seat or if the child looks comfortable has nothing to do with it.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:07 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
My kids are very small. I dont have a Doona, so I dont know the measurements. However, most children have to be switched out of traditional infant car seats and in to a rear-facing carseat before or around 1 year. The car seat is only safe if there is a minimum amount of room on top of their heads on the back of the seat. It should state the measurements in the manual. It is unsafe to keep the child in longer, though I totally understand the convenience. Whether you can lift the car seat or if the child looks comfortable has nothing to do with it.

The doona is kind of bigger than the average car seat. More like in between an infant car seat and a regular car seat. So that wasn't a problem.

mlc

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Only good if you have a car and have a schedule requiring lots of in and out.

Since that is it’s drawing point, they pretty much get away with a lot construction-wise , regarding any other comforts and conveniences .

So if you don’t need it for the frequent errand aspect it’s definitely not for you IMHO.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:10 pm
I’ve heard it is dangerous to have babies sleep in the Doona. Be careful!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics