Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bedtime battles help!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:23 pm
The last few weeks bedtime has been crazy! I have a newborn and my 3,6 and 8 year olds used to go to bed like angels. Now it's chaotic. I'm completely losing it! I tried everything from charts, prizes, incentives to yelling, potching, threatening and I'm embarrassed to admit it but nothing works. They run around and disrespect everything my husband or I say. They don't listen at all and just answer back or worse! I'm at my wit's end!!! My house used to be functional and now I have to admit it is completely dysfunctional! Please!! Please!! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! I feel like running away! Seriously! I have zero control of my own kids! Banging head TMI Mad
Edited to add: and we've tried stories, games and special time with Mommy before bed but to no avail:(

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 10:25 pm
Hugs!! It's similar by me. Hard because it is still bright outside later. Lately I just follow bedtime routine - say shma, sing hamalach hagoel, give hugs & kisses & then just go to my room to relax (with door closed) and let them basically do what they want as long as they don't bother me. They come out many times, etc. etc. but eventually they go to bed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:51 pm
Thanks for responding and making me feel it's not only me struggling... I'll try what u dotomorrow night and see if it works here.

pizza4

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 4:24 pm
Bedtime has been a struggle with us for a long time! Figuring out what works for us and it keeps changing. Now in summertime we have a later bedtime though not too late so they can take their time getting ready for bed and schmoozing without me feeling help it's already 10pm sleep right now.
Take some time for yourself before you start bedtime. Approach it in a calm and kind manner.
My kids like when I sit in the room with them till they fall asleep.
Our routine looks like this: showers/ baths, pjs, making their hair/nailcutting if they need/want, snuggling with a book, shema. Sometimes I ask them to tell me something good or not good about their day, or to thank Hashem for something.
That's when I'm calm and have patience.
It's hard! Good luck OP.

yksraya

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 4:27 pm
It can take a while for bedtime routine to be normal again after a baby. Take it easy, don't let it become a battle.

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:15 pm
What she said.
Everything is topsy with a newborn.
Even though tats Davka when you need the big kids to cooperate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics