Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
While we're talking about bras...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:38 pm
Whenever I go into a lingerie store, they always sew in darts on the sides of my bras. I don't know exactly why.

Can I get my seamstress to do that? Or am I doomed to be unable to buy bras online?

Also, how do you ladies know how to adjust your bras properly on your own? I find that they do a good job in-store, but when I try myself, I just never get it right.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:41 pm
Darts. Huh. Not fair- I never got one.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:43 pm
aricelli wrote:
Darts. Huh. Not fair- I never got one.

I don't know if you know what I'm talking about - they sew up the sides a bit. Honestly, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm just parroting what they told me.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:46 pm
I might not know exactly what you mean but I know that noone ever sewed mine in any way!
Is it because theyre big on you? It fits better that way? Or is it that one particular store does that- or youve had it at other places?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:01 am
aricelli wrote:
I might not know exactly what you mean but I know that noone ever sewed mine in any way!
Is it because theyre big on you? It fits better that way? Or is it that one particular store does that- or youve had it at other places?

I think it might be because I'm a little narrower in one spot or something... I don't know, I originally thought it was because I was droopy--I hope that's not the case!

It was one particular store, but my bras from that store make my clothing look so much better than the ones I've bought elsewhere, even if they're good-quality bras.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:10 am
I never heard of such a thing, but I buy off the rack.

Perhaps you have a particularly deep cup size and are short so a bra that ha the correct cup size would poke into your underarm if they didn't adjust it?

Why don't you ask them?

Or go to a store that doesn't offer such services and see if you can find something that fits. Of so, you know you can most likely get it online too.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:34 am
They are sewing them since they don’t fit properly. Every size is available, but mist stores don’t stock the uncommon sizes. Not all brands make them. The darts do change the shape.
I find that frum stores like to sell minimizes which are not flattering. A pointier one with a good shape is way better.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:51 am
If it's working for you and makes you look better, I'd stick to it.
Alternatively you can order the same bra online, bring it to your dressmake with the old one, and she is she can mimic the darts.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:25 am
Op, I have the same issue..
Can never buy a bra in a regular store or online! Recently I ordered around 10 bras from amazon and had to return them all! Yes, I think I am doomed to the lingerie stores and their prices!
Even if it’s a small dart on one side, it seems that I cannot wear a bra without some sort of dart on it!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:26 am
DrMom wrote:
I never heard of such a thing, but I buy off the rack.

Perhaps you have a particularly deep cup size and are short so a bra that ha the correct cup size would poke into your underarm if they didn't adjust it?

Why don't you ask them?

Or go to a store that doesn't offer such services and see if you can find something that fits. Of so, you know you can most likely get it online too.

I'm a 34D and 5'3". I guess I'll ask.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:28 am
Iymnok wrote:
They are sewing them since they don’t fit properly. Every size is available, but mist stores don’t stock the uncommon sizes. Not all brands make them. The darts do change the shape.
I find that frum stores like to sell minimizes which are not flattering. A pointier one with a good shape is way better.

As I said, I'm a 34D. Not an uncommon size at all. I find that it's always sold out...

Minimizers actually look pretty good on me. Non-minimizers make me look very big on top.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:46 am
Hi Op, the darts are because you are between a cup size, for example, I am not quite a D, but a C is too small. So they take a D cup, and take it in a little (darts), which creates a "C and a half.". If the minimizers with darts look nice on you, stick with them. In general, frum stores give more attention and alternatives than big box stores like Victoria Secret. They're worth the price...

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:35 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Hi Op, the darts are because you are between a cup size, for example, I am not quite a D, but a C is too small. So they take a D cup, and take it in a little (darts), which creates a "C and a half.". If the minimizers with darts look nice on you, stick with them. In general, frum stores give more attention and alternatives than big box stores like Victoria Secret. They're worth the price...

If the frum stores work for you .. Great

For really professional service you can try Linda the Bra Lady in Manhattan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics