Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What do I serve, vegan?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:35 pm
Having family coming for almost a week. Will only eat vegan. Minimal salt and oil. They also prefer low carb. What can I possibly feed them?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:36 pm
Why don't you ask them what they like? Maybe they can give you recipes. Otherwise, Google will have millions of ideas for you.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:51 pm
Sounds like you will be doing a lot if cooking. There's very little you can buy that's low salt. This is my diet, and it's labor intensive.

Fish
Soak out meat or chicken
Empire triple washes chicken to get rid of salt
Lentils and beans - rinse really good or make from dried
Fresh or frozen vegetables - no canned
Fruits - canned often has low sodium
Soups must be home made even broth

How are you with spices? You need to build flavor elsewhere. Try using trader Joe's or Costco 21 ingredient salt substitute. Mrs. Dash is too peppery. Cut down on the pepper when using a salt substitute. You can use vinegar and sugar to make flavors more complex. No chicken soup mix.

Watch out for MSG, baking powder, baking soda, soy, many sauces. Rice vinegar has salt and sugar. Sushi with sea weed or rice is no good. You can get low sodium baking powder and baking soda.

If they are low sodium for health reasons, don't cheat. My friend threw in a pinch of salt in a dish she made me, I gained 3 lbs, and my rings wouldn't come off. I almost went to the hospital.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:53 pm
Find out what they usually eat. Maybe all you need to do is have their base ingredients in the house and they'll prepare their own food like they usually do.

If you want some ideas.

Breakfast can be a smoothie made with frozen fruit, canned coconut cream and rice protein powder.

Hearty legume soup or salad (bulked up with avocado, nuts and the like) for lunch.

Roasted cubed sweet potato and tofu burritos.
Chickpea "tuna" with toasted bread (most don't have eggs - check), red onion, lettuce and pickles (buy a jar of vegan mayo it's easier, otherwise Google how to make from silken tofu.
Lentil burgers and all the fixins.
Roasted Portobello mushroom caps filled witj quinoa.
Rice & nut stuffed peppers.
Vegan baked ziti using tofu to make a cottage cheese.

Stock up on various canned beans, fresh nuts, fresh produce, tofu, quinoa, canned coconut milk and I'm sure they'll be able to help themselves.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:55 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Sounds like you will be doing a lot if cooking. There's very little you can buy that's low salt. This is my diet, and it's labor intensive.

Fish
Soak out meat or chicken
Empire triple washes chicken to get rid of salt

Lentils and beans - rinse really good or make from dried
Fresh or frozen vegetables - no canned
Fruits - canned often has low sodium
Soups must be home made even broth

How are you with spices? You need to build flavor elsewhere. Try using trader Joe's or Costco 21 ingredient salt substitute. Mrs. Dash is too peppery. Cut down on the pepper when using a salt substitute. You can use vinegar and sugar to make flavors more complex. No chicken soup mix.

Watch out for MSG, baking powder, baking soda, soy, many sauces. Rice vinegar has salt and sugar. Sushi with sea weed or rice is no good. You can get low sodium baking powder and baking soda.

If they are low sodium for health reasons, don't cheat. My friend threw in a pinch of salt in a dish she made me, I gained 3 lbs, and my rings wouldn't come off. I almost went to the hospital.

Curious how fish and meat/chicken are relevant to OP’s request about VEGAN meals? 🤔

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:58 pm
I think she missed the vegan part and just saw the low sodium.
But yes, that limits food quite a bit. Only veggies or fruit, not even eggs allowed. Tofu? Lots of roasted vegetables?

egam

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:04 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Why don't you ask them what they like? Maybe they can give you recipes. Otherwise, Google will have millions of ideas for you.

This. ☝🏻
Vegan, low salt, oil and low carb is a very tall order.
Ask them what they usually eat and what ingredients to get. Let them do the cooking.

Otherwise make tons of roasted veggies, cauliflower rice, broccoli, stuffed mushrooms, zuddles with sautéed tofu cubes.

Do they eat nuts? You can make Georgian eggplant rolls or eggplant stuffed with walnuts. I would suggest getting parve cheese, but I can’t imagine it being low salt.

And soups. If you roast veggies first, it will add a lot of flavor to them and you won’t need a lot of salt.

Last edited by egam on Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:06 pm
Salads, soups, tofu, beans, quinoa, zoodles. Happy to post more ideas or blogs with recipes.

Last edited by tichellady on Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:07 pm
Low carb and vegan are difficult together.

You could make a veggie noodle dish. Salads. Baked tofu.

For more carby, risotta, vegetarian chili, brown rice and lentils.

Or try the impossible burger / sausage.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:11 pm
Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't even sure where to start.
How would I make the cauliflower rice? What could I stuff mushrooms with? How do I make a vegan cholent? Any ideas for dessert?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:11 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Curious how fish and meat/chicken are relevant to OP’s request about VEGAN meals? 🤔

Sorry. I was concentrating on low salt. I got lost in my own drama.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:13 pm
tichellady wrote:
Salads, soups, tofu, beans, quinoa, zoodles. Happy to post more ideas or blogs with recipes.

I'd really appreciate that!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How would I make the cauliflower rice? What could I stuff mushrooms with? How do I make a vegan cholent? Any ideas for dessert?

Fresh fruit for dessert.

You can buy riced cauliflower if you don't have a ricer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:14 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Low carb and vegan are difficult together.

You could make a veggie noodle dish. Salads. Baked tofu.

For more carby, risotta, vegetarian chili, brown rice and lentils.

Or try the impossible burger / sausage.

What's an impossible burger? I live oot, where can I purchase them?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:22 pm
This sounds really difficult. Don't lentils and beans have carbs? If those are ok you can make chummus, refried beans, lentil curry, lentil or bean burgers.

I often make a orange veggie soup (squash, carrots, ginger) and add in some red lentils.

You could make majedra with cauliflower rice instead of regular. Google for a recipe.

Lots of salads of all types. Stri fry with nuts added in. Nut roast. Roasted veggies.

I would also ask them for ideas of what they normally eat. This sounds like a very restrictive diet.

I thought the impossible burger is only available in restaurants.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:29 pm
Ask them to bring food

sim

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:36 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Ask them to bring food

This.
I've partially vegan and it is super time consuming. And that's before you figure in the low carb piece.
If you want to have any quality time with these relatives, have them bring some main dishes and just do sides and salads.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:42 pm
Just made my husband edamame pasta and he said was very good. Added some avocado oil, salt, pepper onion power, black pepper and dried basil.

egam

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Cauliflower rice can be bought or you can pulse cauliflower florets in the food processor until it resembles the rice.
You can stuff mushrooms with mixture of cauliflower rice and roasted veggies. Or roasted eggplant cubes mixed with lots of fresh herbs and ground nuts. I suggest using portobello caps. Roast them separately first and then stuff.
You can get Wonder Noodles or Nasoya shirataki pasta zero noodles. The later can be bought in Walmart and many other regular stores. Look in a veggie department next to tofu. Wonder noodles come in few shapes including rice.

You can make tofu chocolate mousse with 85% schmerling chocolate which is low in carbs
https://aseasyasapplepie.com/s.....usse/

I also found these dessert suggestions. See if you can find something
https://thebigmansworld.com/41.....egan/
Hatzlocha.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:48 pm
Ohsheglows is a vegan blog
Cookieandkate has lots of vegan stuff ( all vegetarian)
Minimalist Baker is vegan blog

They are all pretty healthy recipes
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics