Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Easy shmeasy summer suppers
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:34 pm
When it's really hot, I have a hard time eating.

Assorted green salads and mixed fruit salad.
Pita or crackers with dips.
Pasta with a very light sauce, like butter and a dash of parmesan.
Lean protein, like grilled chicken breast.
Baked salmon.

That's pretty much all I will eat until the weather cools off. Then, bring on the soups! Very Happy

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:37 pm
aricelli wrote:
For the little ones: Cottage cheese eaters? I fill ice cream cones with cottage cheese for a dessert and meal combo. Sounds strange but they love it.

Yuck

aricelli

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yuck

Yr welcome hon!

smss

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:04 pm
momsrus wrote:
Recipe from ami works great

Chicken strips in equal amount do ketchup mayo honey and coated with corn flakes

Spray with cooking spray

Bake on cookie sheet on 425

What do you serve with this? (@momsrus or anyone... Wink )

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:13 pm
smss wrote:
What do you serve with this? (@momsrus or anyone... Wink )

Mashed potatoes
Tater tots
A 2 second salad
Canned corn

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:19 pm
cnc wrote:
lol- what makes a food a certain season?

Eating things at the peak of harvest, and not outside the growing pattern.

Potatoes are at their highest nutrient content in winter. Same with parsnips and turnips.

Strawberries and zucchinis are the most nutritious in the summer.

Leeks and green onions, baby lettuce, in the spring.

Pumpkins, apples, acorn squash, in the fall.

Traditional holiday foods are all due to what was available at that time of the year.

Sure, with modern food conveniences like canning, freezing, and shipping from different countries you can pretty much eat what you want year round, but it's not ideal.

The Japanese believe that eating foods out of season will make you ill, and can potentially be very dangerous. Other cultures eat seasonally because that is the only option they have, and they are often the healthiest groups.

Besides, everything tastes better fresh!

ddmom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:51 pm
cnc wrote:
lol- what makes a food a certain season?

To me it depends on how long oven is on!!
Rice takes 15 minutes on stovetop and 1 h baked so in the summer I'll chose stovetop.
I like chicken baked a long time so in the summer I would faster make grilled cutlets than chicken on the bone!
Split pea ,mushroom barley and lentils soup are all fall/winter because my kids won't touch it when it's hot! Wink

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:08 am
spring/summer fruits & veg
cherries, berries, melons, peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, corn on the cob, summer squashes.

In fall/winter
we buy different type of apples/oranges/tangerines/ grapefruits to snack on. Now they taste bitter & not sweet anymore.

Fall they have selection of different squashes like butternut, acorn, kaboochi etc.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:15 am
ddmom wrote:
To me it depends on how long oven is on!!
Rice takes 15 minutes on stovetop and 1 h baked so in the summer I'll chose stovetop.
I like chicken baked a long time so in the summer I would faster make grilled cutlets than chicken on the bone!
Split pea ,mushroom barley and lentils soup are all fall/winter because my kids won't touch it when it's hot! Wink

Thats why I dont understand why people are giving oven recipes that has long baking times as summer recipes.

It might only take a couple of minutes to prepare & then dump into oven, but when oven is on for long time, it heats up the house. ( unless you leave the house then)

People like to eat in summer light, not spend too much time cooking in kitchen, easy to prepare, stuff that cool off like smoothies etc, and outdoor cooking like grilling or easy take along meals for picnics or for kids to eat outside while playing like sandwiches or anything that goes into a pita thats portable

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:20 am
in warm climates same produce is grown all year round & they eat those whole year

like bananas/avocados/mango/coconuts

jf

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:28 am
My new easy dinner is buying a carton of Egg Beaters or something similar, pouring into a greased pie pan and baking at 400 until firm. Cut into wedges and serve with wraps cut in half to make an egg wrap. You can also put cooked veggies in the bottom of the pan and/of sprinkle with cheese before baking. Viola, crustless quiche!

karat

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:31 am
I would rather bake rice and other oven-friendly food and have a warmer kitchen than have pots to scrub.

Rene:)

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:34 am
saute onion and garlic. Add frozen broccoli and chicken cubes plus water, spices, and a bit of soy sauce. simmer till water is absorbed and chicken and broccoli looks ready. serve over rice.

mig100

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:31 am
jf wrote:
My new easy dinner is buying a carton of Egg Beaters or something similar, pouring into a greased pie pan and baking at 400 until firm. Cut into wedges and serve with wraps cut in half to make an egg wrap. You can also put cooked veggies in the bottom of the pan and/of sprinkle with cheese before baking. Viola, crustless quiche!

this sounds easy and yummy. about how long should I expect it to take to bake? and do you precook the veggies? cant just cook at once?

jf

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:37 am
mig100 wrote:
this sounds easy and yummy. about how long should I expect it to take to bake? and do you precook the veggies? cant just cook at once?

Probably 15 minutes or so if you take the time to pre-heat the oven. Depending on what veggies I am using, sometimes I microwave them in the pie pan for a few minutes before I add the eggs.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:35 pm
karat wrote:
Hamburger in buns.
You can buy preformed patties.
Take a few garlic cloves, bake in pan with oil.
Add mayo and optional-garlic/onion powder, mix with mayo and you have homemade garlic mayo.
Slice up sour pickles, onions, tomatoes etc.
Bake corn on cub in oven as a side.

Onion chicken-dip chicken cutlets into duck sauce, dip into French-fried onions and bake.
Bake rice in oven as side.

Lasagna in oven with uncooked noodles.
Corn salad as side.

Baked salmon with baked sweet potatoes or bake potatoes, cut in half. Add s&p, melt a sliced cheese on top.

How long do you bake the burgers?

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:51 pm
CanadianNYer wrote:
I use the George foreman grill all the time to grill chicken, meat, and veggies. Super quick and easy.

Approx how long does it take for well done burgers? Grilled chicken?
Do you not find it difficult to clean ?

karat

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:53 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
How long do you bake the burgers?

I broil it for approximately 10-15 minutes for 1st side and 5 minutes on second side-depending on how well done you like it.
A smear of good quality bbq sauce adds great flavor-we like hickory flavor.

happy12

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:58 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yuck

Ate it as a child with colored sprinkles ontop. It was very good.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 2:13 pm
Bbq
Hamburgers - I used to make a whole recipe. Now I simply shape meat into patties - handling it very little.
Cleaned chicken cutlets - if no time to marinate just do a quick dunk on a marinade or use bbq sauce.
Hot dogs.
Mini peppers or half pepper slices
Eggplant
Zucchini

Pickles
Coleslaw
Canned corn
English cucumbers
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days