Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Daily meat (vs chicken) dinners
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:52 pm
For various reasons buying chicken is way more expensive for me right now than buying meat. So I'm thinking of having meat almost daily for supper.
I know very little about meat, which cuts to buy and how to cook it.
Can you please give me easy simple recipes including which cuts to buy? Preferably in the oven so I have less dishes. Also, I try using simple healthy ingredients, so no duck sauce or other sweet ingredients. I'm cooking for 2 adults and 3 kids. It has to be super soft melt in mouth for my little ones to like it.
Thank you so much!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:59 pm
I would mainly stick with lean cuts of meat, and bake on low temps, covered, for a long time to get them very soft. You can vary the flavors by doing different spice rubs. I take a bit of olive oil and add different spices depending on my mood, and then rub all over meat before it goes in the oven. The meat releases its own juices and you have lots of yummy sauce at the end without adding anything processed or sugary.

Not exactly what you asked, but daily red meat isn't generally considered that healthy. Maybe you can change it up with other cheap protein sources, like fish, eggs and legumes?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:22 pm
Thanks. I don't know what is considered "lean cuts" would you be able to tell me specifically what to buy? What the label should say? I'd also appreciate exact bake times and oven temp, covered/uncovered, etc...
Re the red meat, I didn't mean every single day. Sunday shabbos leftovers, Wednesday fish, once a week chicken leaves me only 2-3 times a week for meat.
Thanks!

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:36 pm
Meat of any kind every single night seems excessive, from both a financial and health point of view.

Why not something dairy or parve?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:41 pm
We eat ground beef twice or more a week. As a meat sauce and then either mixed into rice, as meatballs, or hamburgers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:13 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
We eat ground beef twice or more a week. As a meat sauce and then either mixed into rice, as meatballs, or hamburgers.

Sounds good. Recipe?
I'm illiterate when it comes to figure out recipes. I need exact instructions... Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:19 pm
DrMom wrote:
Meat of any kind every single night seems excessive, from both a financial and health point of view.

Why not something dairy or parve?

Like I said, not every single night. And the meat I buy is the same price or cheaper than chicken. (Ground meat $5+lb Ground chicken $8+lb)
And no, I can't buy cheaper chicken.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Like I said, not every single night. And the meat I buy is the same price or cheaper than chicken. (Ground meat $5+lb Ground chicken $8+lb)
And no, I can't buy cheaper chicken.

Again, why not eggs, legumes, tofu, cheese?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sounds good. Recipe?
I'm illiterate when it comes to figure out recipes. I need exact instructions... Thanks!

I'm a lazy cook, so here's how I do it, I'm sure many others have fancier and probably tastier ways of doing things.

Meat Sauce:
1. Put ground beef into pot on med/low and stir occasionally until it turns mostly or completely brown (this is called "browning" ground beef).
2. Pour in can(s) of sauce (29oz or more, I prefer Hunts plain tomato sauce, and usually use more than 2 cans)
3. Add generous amount of oregano
4. Heat sauce through (I wait until I can see "rings" forming on the top of the sauce from the bubbles), serve over pasta or spaghetti

Meat and Rice:
1. Brown ground beef as above
2. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder
3. Mix into cooked (hot) white rice*

*I bake mine usually: 1 cup jasmine rice, 2 cups boiling water, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt, put in pan, mix a bit, cover, bake on 350 for 20-30 minutes (it's hard to ruin it, it doesn't really get overcooked unless you leave it in for WAY longer, if it doesn't look ready just return it to the oven for another few minutes)

Meatballs:
1. Put ground beef into bowl
2. Add 1-2 eggs for each lb of beef
3. Add matzah meal (or flour, or oatmeal) to give it a firm enough consistency to make balls
4. Mix and form balls
5. Drop balls into simmering hot water + duck sauce (about half a jar)
6. Let cook for 15+ minutes, serve over spaghetti or rice (as above)

Hamburgers:
follow recipe above as for meatballs, but flatten and bake on baking sheet for 10-15 minutes. I don't do it that often because they shrink so much.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:37 am
Thanks blush. I'll try those.
Anyone have other ideas for meat dinners other than ground?
Drmom we usually have eggs for breakfast, kids don't really like beans, and we do have dairy and fish once a week. I'm specifically looking for meat suppers now. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Drmom we usually have eggs for breakfast, kids don't really like beans, and we do have dairy and fish once a week. I'm specifically looking for meat suppers now. Thanks.

If you tell us what sort or meat cuts you have access to, we can post ideas and recipes.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:39 am
What other cheap cuts are available to you? It would be easier to suggest if we know what you're working with.

walkingalong

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you have minute, skirt, or pepper steak cuts you can slice them into fajita strips. Jamie Geller/Joy of Kosher has a good fajita recipe, simple and fresh and healthy ingredients.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:45 am
pepper steak.

Rib steak on grill or grill pan

I do club steaks with balsamic vinegar & shallots

minute steak in oven for a long time with sauce

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:45 am
Anything evergreen monsey sells from solomon or fishels. I'd assume they have most basic cuts. Flanken is often on sale, I make yapchik with that. I don't know what else to look for. Don't know what's good for what.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:48 am
It seems like chicken she must buy under a certain hashgacha by their kehilla so its expensive as they have monopoly or certain chumros that make it more expensive.

Maybe meat is not under these rules so she can buy elsewhere & look what she can find on sale, every time something else

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:53 am
dankbar wrote:
It seems like chicken she must buy under a certain hashgacha by their kehilla so its expensive as they have monopoly or certain chumros that make it more expensive.

Maybe meat is not under these rules so she can buy elsewhere & look what she can find on sale, every time something else

You got it!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:56 am
It’s hard to say without knowing what cut.
Some are better low and slow- like brisket, I like 2nd cut. IMHO fattier cuts are more juicy and soft.
Some cuts are better on high heat cooked very quickly, like rib steak

I make shank for Shabbat very often because it can hold up to long cooking.
I have the butcher cut the shank in thick medallions. Season it well with what ever you like. I season it in the same pan I’m going to cook it. This way the extra spices fall into the pan to season the water.
I add a little bit of water to the pan. Sometimes some sliced onions, sometimes some peeled garlic, sometimes both, sometimes nothing if I’m lazy.
If I’m making this for Shabbat day, I put a bit more water, like 1/2 way up and put it on the blech, raw, right before Shabbat.

Foil tight, bake at 300 for at least 1.5 hrs, or more.

The great thing about this recipe is that it’s already cut so it saves the step of cooling and slicing the next day.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:00 am
Minute roast or steaks with sliced onions and some salt in a pan, covered, in the oven for a long time will get very soft. Brisket in the oven will get soft as well, any recipe. Beef stew meat in the crockpot with chunks of potato, carrot, and sweet potato. Add salt and a small can of tomato sauce. Cook for 6 to 8 hrs or until the meat is soft. Also you can make soup with veggies, barley, and flanken. I dont have a recipe but you can Google it.

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:32 am
I like rolled roasts - beef, chicken, or turkey. I saute lots of onion and garlic, add the meat and brown it on all sides, pour in half a bottle of semi dry or dry white wine, cover and cook for about four hours. For dinner, I would put it up first thing in the morning, to give it time to cool before slicing. If you have a lot of leftovers, turn them into a pot pie (saute onions, slivered carrots , a cubed potato, add soup stock and meat and pour into an unbaked pie shell. Cover with a second pie crust, pierce a few times and bake for an hour) or mix with rice and veggies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen