Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much did you spend on linen for yourself?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 5:36 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
What do you do with a top sheet?
I thought that was used instead of a duvet cover/ to put a layer between the body and the blanket

2 reasons - we like the way it looks folded over on top of the quilt, and also we have quite lightweight feather quilts so it adds additional warmth in the winter, or in the summer we can use the sheet on its own. Additionally you can wash the flat and bottom sheet more often since you sleep between them but I tend to wash everything at once.

I don't live in the USA and quilt covers are common here. (Europe)

I only have one set of linen - we wash and change the same day. I would love 2 sets but can't really afford 2 good sets and don't want to get junky ones.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:05 am
Amazon brand 20-30 dollars each "bed in the bag". Had them a few years. They last well. I strip, wash, and then remake the beds.

justforfun87

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:51 am
15 dollars at Target

sky

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:13 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I always thought you can only get quilt covers in the jewish stores.

Depends on the size.
The quilts the Jewish stores sell for 48” beds they call full but it’s not the standard size and you can only buy in the Jewish stores
Twin size duvet covers you can buy anywhere.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:18 am
We have both extremes. I have an $800 set of linen bedding from Restoration Hardware, and a set from Ikea, and one from Century 21.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 8:02 am
I haven’t bought myself new linen in a while but think it’s normal for 48” beds to spend $350 on good quality linen (duvet set)
Sometimes there are sales and you can be lucky to find for less but you might not like the quality of the linen or the print.
Op, you said that you only have one set of linen. If you just got a new set then now you have 2 sets since you can use your old one sometimes.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 8:11 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I haven’t bought myself new linen in a while but think it’s normal for 48” beds to spend $350 on good quality linen (duvet set)
Sometimes there are sales and you can be lucky to find for less but you might not like the quality of the linen or the print.
Op, you said that you only have one set of linen. If you just got a new set then now you have 2 sets since you can use your old one sometimes.

The old one is ripped. I actually went into the store to see if I could replace the ripped sheet but I ended up with a whole new set instead. Its been a while since we got a new set and I guess ours wear out sooner since we only have one set. I really like the new set more then the old one as well so I am not sure if I will alternate. One day when I am rich I will buy a second set I really like!

Amalia

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 2:10 pm
jkw wrote:
Which stores in NYC do you recommend to buy 100% cotton quality sheets? Or where online?

I also would love recommendations of good online places to buy linen sets. The softness of the material is very important to me, so I would be willing to splurge. Thank you!

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 2:20 pm
Amalia wrote:
I also would love recommendations of good online places to buy linen sets. The softness of the material is very important to me, so I would be willing to splurge. Thank you!

I have always bought linen from Jewish stores for the quality. Recently I bought linen from ikea for my girls room and I am very impressed. The duvet sets from ikea do not come with fitted sheets. I went to target and matched up the softest ever sheets.
The beds in my girls room are 39”. I don’t remember exactly but I think I spent around $70 in total which is a big savings from the Jewish stores. Oh, the set also only comes with one pillow case per bed so I added another pillow case that I already had in the house for the second pillow.
I do think it’s important to have quality linen. It’s not just for show. It’s for the comfort of a good nights sleep.

Amalia

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I have always bought linen from Jewish stores for the quality. Recently I bought linen from ikea for my girls room and I am very impressed. The duvet sets from ikea do not come with fitted sheets. I went to target and matched up the softest ever sheets.
The beds in my girls room are 39”. I don’t remember exactly but I think I spent around $70 in total which is a big savings from the Jewish stores. Oh, the set also only comes with one pillow case per bed so I added another pillow case that I already had in the house for the second pillow.
I do think it’s important to have quality linen. It’s not just for show. It’s for the comfort of a good nights sleep.

Thank you so much!

I am in Northern New Jersey. I can’t get to Brooklyn, but could get to Monsey. Do you happen to know of good Jewish stores on this area?

sky

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:29 pm
We’re do you buy duvet covers for full quilts (for 48” beds)?
IKEA says they are for full/queen which is a larger size.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 4:09 pm
sky wrote:
We’re do you buy duvet covers for full quilts (for 48” beds)?
IKEA says they are for full/queen which is a larger size.

The Ikea duvet covers fit my full size comforters perfectly.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:50 pm
I'm very happy with the $60 sets (for 2 beds) from Closeout Connections.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:36 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
The Ikea duvet covers fit my full size comforters perfectly.

Did you buy them from a frum store(the quilts)? Are your beds 48” or full?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:39 am
To make you feel good... I just spent $800 for our queen size beds and that didn’t even include the bed skirts HOWEVER they are gorgeous and I love it.

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:50 pm
This is a serious question and I’m not trying to be rude...why do frum communities focus on expensive linens so much? I’m a baalas teshuva, and I once was asked what kind of linens I got when I got married and I was puzzled. I spent like $50 on sheets from amazon, why are we spending $300 on linens?? I literally don’t get it.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:51 pm
sky wrote:

No, the quilts are from a regular store. I have full size beds.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:49 pm
sky wrote:

If your quilts are from a heimish store then it's best to buy duvets from a heimish store.
Otherwise full quilts fit full duvets.
I've had that even with twin from heimish vs standard twin which is just a bit off to be annoying.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:11 pm
oakandfig19 wrote:
This is a serious question and I’m not trying to be rude...why do frum communities focus on expensive linens so much? I’m a baalas teshuva, and I once was asked what kind of linens I got when I got married and I was puzzled. I spent like $50 on sheets from amazon, why are we spending $300 on linens?? I literally don’t get it.

I don't think it's a focus as much as tailored for convenience.
If I want 2 duvets, 2 fitted sheets and 4 pillowcases matching, that's hard to find for a good price. I've bought 2 separate duvet sets and then matched up fitted sheets, and after everything, it cost me just as much. So now I just purchase the $179 ready sets (we don't find it necessary to spend more).

sky

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If your quilts are from a heimish store then it's best to buy duvets from a heimish store.
Otherwise full quilts fit full duvets.
I've had that even with twin from heimish vs standard twin which is just a bit off to be annoying.

I’m finding it frustrating that there are no well priced options. I have 48” beds. The twin quilts are too small and full/queen is too big.
Closeout connections doesn’t sell the full quilt size.
I need new linen but when ever I go to the frum stores they want an obscene amount of money.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics