Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What do you call this symbol, #?
Previous  1  2

what do you call this...#?
number symbol  
 17%  [ 35 ]
pound symbol  
 54%  [ 111 ]
hash or hashtag  
 28%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 203

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:21 am
Most of the time, sulamit as I live in Israel. Sometimes "grid" when speaking English (which isn't my first language, plus, I'm not social media savy).
Somehow, I don't want to call it hash or similar - I don't use twitter or similar things and the symbol is anyway much older than those.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:38 am
dièze or hashtag

smile12345

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:06 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
Most of the time, sulamit as I live in Israel. Sometimes "grid" when speaking English (which isn't my first language, plus, I'm not social media savy).
Somehow, I don't want to call it hash or similar - I don't use twitter or similar things and the symbol is anyway much older than those.

It's been called hash in British English since way back, long before social media came into play.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:44 am
smile12345 wrote:
It's been called hash in British English since way back, long before social media came into play.

Interesting ... I never knew.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:31 am
smile12345 wrote:

Yes and £ is pound. No idea why # is pound, although I know it is an American thing. Pound as in money or weight?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:26 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
Yes and £ is pound. No idea why # is pound, although I know it is an American thing. Pound as in money or weight?

The British pound symbol comes from a capital L with a line through it, for "libra pondo", a Roman measurement. The # sign comes from the letters l and b with a line drawn through them, ℔, the l and the b are also from the word libra. There are many different units of weight that are or have been called a pound, the weight of silver in a Pound sterling has changed over time (the Tower pound was about 350 g and the Troy pound 373.24 g and was later replaced with an amount of gold and today it's paper which is worth whatever the market says), and is different from the pound avoirdupois which weights 453.59 g.

sidewalkchalk

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 5:19 pm
IT'S AN OCTOTHORPE!!!

Seriously.

But I call it pound. Smile

singleagain

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 5:21 pm
sidewalkchalk wrote:
IT'S AN OCTOTHORPE!!!

Seriously.

But I call it pound. Smile

Omg. Yes. I forgot it's called octohorpe,

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:30 pm
imasoftov wrote:
The British pound symbol comes from a capital L with a line through it, for "libra pondo", a Roman measurement. The # sign comes from the letters l and b with a line drawn through them, ℔, the l and the b are also from the word libra. There are many different units of weight that are or have been called a pound, the weight of silver in a Pound sterling has changed over time (the Tower pound was about 350 g and the Troy pound 373.24 g and was later replaced with an amount of gold and today it's paper which is worth whatever the market says), and is different from the pound avoirdupois which weights 453.59 g.

Interesting. I knew about £ being from an L w a line through it, but not # being from lb. Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics