Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cultural differences
Previous  1  2

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 6:57 am
mochamix18 wrote:
I’m not proud to admit this, but when people start getting very Israeli with me and yelling I burst into tears and it usually works.

Poor thing Sad Sometimes I feel like this inside (and do so later) but if someone was being an a$$ I usually react by screaming at them. Then again I'm a pretty confrontational person and if I see something happening which I feel is unjust (ie someone skipping the queue) I am the first one to call them out on it.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:03 am
Why is the burden on the person being yelled at to prove something to the yellees? Especially when you are in a vulnerable position it can be very embarrassing.

I would feel terrible that someone was embarrassed on my behalf because a bunch of self righteous people decided they "knew" he "deserved" it. Maybe some of them could have squished over to give you a spot.

Personally I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from this anecdote.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:09 am
yo'ma wrote:
If you live somewhere than where you grew up, what cultural differences have you experienced? Probably a change of country is more culturally different than a city or state.

I'm over it already, and I don't know if it's culture, but for preschool they have a parent stay in the hall for awhile until the child feels comfortable.

That's considered good educational practice in general. In fact, Real Boys discusses how teachers tend to allow parents of girls to do this more than parents of boys, which results in girls having an easier time adjusting to school.

In any case, our nursery school in the US definitely did this.

yo'ma wrote:
The next thing doesn't really affect me except in one way. The kids here go to bed quite late in my opinion and also in some of theirs. I've spoken to other parents and they do think they're kids go to bed late, but it's what they do,it's the culture. Some kids do take a nap during the day, so that's why they go to bed late and that's cultural too. Some don't. It affects me only because since it's normal to go to bed late, they have parties or functions later than I would like for my children.

Again, in my US community, it would be unheard of to put toddlers to sleep at the hours people here mention -- sometimes even before 7 pm.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:11 am
My husband and I have been living in Lakewood for thirty years and we still haven't got used to it.

Everything is so serious and tense. Most of the women, especially, are VERY VERY NERVOUS..

I find I for my own mental health and sanity, I need to escape to the surrounding towns and go to the libraries, stores, coffee shops every chance I get...

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:13 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
My husband and I have been living in Lakewood for thirty years and we still haven't got used to it.

Everything is so serious and tense. Most of the women, especially, are VERY VERY NERVOUS..

I find I for my own mental health and sanity, I need to escape to the surrounding towns and go to the libraries, stores, coffee shops every chance I get...

You're always complaining about how ditzy they are, and aren't interested in any serious topics. Now they're serious and tense?

Anyway, obviously I disagree. Even though I don't live there, but I visit often enough.

Genius

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:05 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
It works the other way too Twisted Evil

I was on a train in israel. Newly pregnant. It was boiling hot and I was feeling extremely nauseous and very faint. I quickly sat down and tried taking a few breaths. A lady came on with a newborn and a few old men started yelling at me to get up. I did because I was too embarrassed to ignore everyone and I spent the rest of the ride seeing black spors and hoping I wouldn't hit the floor.

So yea, maybe we should be dan lkaf zchus and not yell at people for not givinv up their seats? It doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to assume that maybe someone has a reason. There are many hidden reasons or disabilities.

My Bobby claims she gets up for young ladies all the time to avoid situations like this one. These men should've known better. Although I would feel awkward to take the seat of a 70 year old.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating