Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Dry chulent meat

ohmygosh

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:38 pm
I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

My chulent meat always comes out so dry, you just can't eat it. There's plenty of liquid in the crockpot. Nothing is burnt. I usually put up my chulent Fri morn and leave it on high. I've tried all different types of meat that people have suggested, but it still comes out dry. What am I doing wrong?

giselle

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:38 pm
What kind of meat have you tried? Try leaving it whole.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:40 pm
What type of meat are you using? Some are more rough and dry than others.
And leave it on high for tops 4-5 hours and then turn it down.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:41 pm
Put it in whole, raw, on top, right before shabbos. You'll see a difference - any meat should work.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:49 pm
I agree about putting it in whole. For a while we tried using kolichel meat, cubed, and it was dry and chewy.
The one week my husband was in a rush and dumped it in whole, it came out super soft and tender.
We've been doing it like that ever since

Twinster

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:24 pm
Another vote for putting in the meat whole. Get a nice chunk of meat - cheek is best, collicle is very soft too.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 5:58 pm
Twinster wrote:
Another vote for putting in the meat whole. Get a nice chunk of meat - cheek is best, collicle is very soft too.

Agree, it’s probably the type of meat. Best is cheek meat, flanken, whole kolichel.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jul 06 2019, 11:41 pm
leave it on low the whole time and do it right before shabbat.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:06 am
So I ended up buying boneless flanken (that's what the store had) and put it in whole, as recommended here (in the past I've cut it up into pieces). It was still so dry. Chulent had tons of liquid.

Maybe, as another poster suggested, I shouldn't keep my crockpot on high? Even though the rest of the chulent comes out fine?

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:21 am
Any meat will be dry after that many hours. Why are u putting it up so early? And on high?

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:36 am
oliveoil wrote:
Any meat will be dry after that many hours. Why are u putting it up so early? And on high?

Fri afternoon is so hectic, so I try to get things done earlier in the day.

On high? I don't know. Because the rest of the chulent comes out good that way.

Should I put it up instead Thurs night on low and add the meat right before shabbos?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:11 am
Yea didn't realize you were cooking it on high through shabbos too. If you like it really done, keep it on high from Friday afternoon until shabbos but put in the meat raw right before shabbos and switch it down to low before shabbos starts.

egam

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yea didn't realize you were cooking it on high through shabbos too. If you like it really done, keep it on high from Friday afternoon until shabbos but put in the meat raw right before shabbos and switch it down to low before shabbos starts.

I don’t think you can do this halachically. Part of the cholent would be fully cooked and part absolutely raw by Shabbos. There’s no problem to put up raw cholent right before Shabbos, but all ingredients would have to be raw. I learned that even adding canned beans to a raw cholent at this time might be a problem since they are fully cooked.

Prettygirl30

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:53 pm
Why don't you try burying the meat in the middle? ... Only the top of my coclico gets dry but I like it like that and the rest is mosit and I keep my cholent on high from the morning... Of u wanti have also prepared my cholent Thursday night with all the spices and just added water and let it cool on high right before shabbos comes out delicious also
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus