Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Life hacks you actually use
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:11 pm
I make delicious chicken soup for Shabbos in a 9x13 deep pan, in the oven! No pot to wash, no burners used...and when im making a few soups at a time, I can fit up to 4 of them in my oven.

It goes straight on my blech!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:23 pm
If your going in and out of your house making a few trips bringing in groceries etc, put a rubberband around the doorknob on one side of the door to the doorknob on the other side of the door. The door might close but you can just push the door open, you dont have to put anything down to turn the knob

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:24 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I make delicious chicken soup for Shabbos in a 9x13 deep pan, in the oven! No pot to wash, no burners used...and when im making a few soups at a time, I can fit up to 4 of them in my oven.

What do you put it on and how long do you bake it for?

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:11 pm
I like to wash my fall myself, so I take it into the shower with me and do it there. I just keep the water temp a bit cooler than usual to prevent too much oxidizing from high heat.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:22 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
To make a heating pad: fill a sock with (raw) rice. Tie the sock and stick it in the microwave.

This was my lifesaver when I was pregnant! My rice sock even had a name , 😂😂

yerushamama

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:41 pm
regular bar soap is a great stain remover. I also put the last slivers into a white sock, tie it shut, and toss it in with my white shirts - they come out whiter that way!

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:27 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I tried this tonight and it worked great! I have to make 15 lbs of egg salad tomorrow, so this method will come in handy!

You know how a caterer I know does it? Poach the eggs. Boil a huge pot of water, crack each egg and pour straight in. Then take them all out with a slotted spoon onto a towel.
Once mashed you don't notice the difference.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:27 am
For cleaning clogged drains, the best thing is a tool like the drain weasel https://www.lowes.com/pd/flexi....._BwE. It's basically a long skinny stick with a velcro wand at the tip. You just stick it in the drain, move it around, and pull it out. Out comes all the hair that has clogged the drain. Baking soda and vinegar will clean out grease, but for hair clogs, you need the drain weasel.

b.chadash

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 5:15 am
I've been using this trick for hard boiled eggs for years.
Cook eggs covered for about 10 minutes. Shut the flame and LET IT SIT. Keep the lid of the pot on. The steam will get under the peels.
When the pot has cooled (or even just warm), the peels will come sliding off.
This way I never have to feel pressured to quickly rinse the eggs in cold water or try peeling them in the sink while they are very hot.

Einikel

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:13 am
I keep a bottle of water with my ironing board to refill my iron without running to the sink

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:17 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
What do you put it on and how long do you bake it for?

Fill to an inch from the top and poke 2 holes in the cover. 350 degrees for 3 hours.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:50 am
Any ideas how to get makeup stain off clothes?
Please??
Sad

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:59 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Please??
Sad

I would try repeatedly rubbing the stains with a bar of Dove soap. You can't do it forever, because eventually fabric frays when you rub it too much, but you want to try at least a few times. Rinse in lukewarm water between rubbings. I would also try hairspray if the Dove soap doesn't work.

But makeup stains are hard. It is best to prevent by putting on your makeup before you put on your clothes. Then, when you get dressed, put a thin scarf over your face -- one you don't mind ruining, or one that is washable -- before you pull clothing over your head.

Marigold

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:20 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Please??
Sad

Depends on the fabric, I’ve successfully removed make up stains with shout wipes, rubbing it gently and seeing how it goes.

flmommy

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
A dishwasher repairman told me that breaks the machine.

Only if you don’t remove the little metal circle things from the wick

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 11:47 am
I use old mass-transit farecards and other plastic cards (always shred real bank cards, though!) as scrapers for candle wax and scorched pots, squeegees to remove gunk from the sink, palettes to mix small volumes of epoxy, putty knives to fill small holes with wood filler or spackle, and even as straight-edges to draw short, straight lines when I can't find a ruler. You could use a thin, flexible one as a guide for drawing eyeliner, too.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:54 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

I wouldnt do that, it has to come to a full boil and then simmer

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:57 pm
zaq wrote:
I use old mass-transit farecards and other plastic cards (always shred real bank cards, though!) as scrapers for candle wax and scorched pots, squeegees to remove gunk from the sink, palettes to mix small volumes of epoxy, putty knives to fill small holes with wood filler or spackle, and even as straight-edges to draw short, straight lines when I can't find a ruler. You could use a thin, flexible one as a guide for drawing eyeliner, too.

That’s a waste of time re. Removing wax! Just leave very hot water pouring on anything with wax and in a couple minutes it slides right off!

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
That’s a waste of time re. Removing wax! Just leave very hot water pouring on anything with wax and in a couple minutes it slides right off!
Please tell me you don't do this in your sink. What do you think happens after the water cools off? Wax doesn't dissolve in water, you know. When the water cools off, the wax hardens right in your pipes. Eventually-- not right away, but over time--the wax will accumulate just like cholesterol plaque in your arteries and cause a major blockage. It won't cost as much as bypass or balloon surgery but it will cost you plenty in plumbing bills. Scraping the wax off takes less time than heating the water and cleaning up the mess the meted wax leaves behind in the sink or whatever vessel you use. A

If you have a yard I suppose you could do this there, though the hot water will kill the grass and the wax will probably not do it any favors, either. Not to mention that using elbow grease instead of gas/electric/other fossil fuels to heat the water is just a tiny bit more environmentally responsible. Minimize your carbon footprint where you can.

sra

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 4:06 pm
toothpaste for burns
hand soap for mascara smudges
Page 13 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics