Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
LG vs. Whirlpool Washing machine
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:33 am
Anyone happy or really not happy with any of these brands? really not sure which one to get...

its a front loader if it makes a difference.

thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:37 am
I have the LG front loader for many years and BH really like it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:43 am
I’ve also been really happy with LG front loader bli a”h...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
I have the LG front loader for many years and BH really like it.

thanks! two appliance stores I called were going for the whirlpool but then I heard better reviews on the LG...

tweety1

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:36 am
A repair man told me that the only serious difference between lg and whirlpool is that lg discontinues their parts much faster. lg will discontinue a part in 5 yrs whirlpool will discontinue a part in 10 yrs.
As a side note I'm also looking into buying a new washer/dryer and was recommended the Maytag. It's newest machine is the biggest one available amongst all washers.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:41 am
My husband is an appliance repairman.

He always encourages whirpools and discourages LG, only for the reason that LG's replacement parts can be very difficult to find, and often they just dont make them anymore. He's had customers throw out an LG that was only a few years old, for a very simple problem to be fixed, that no one was able to fix because the part wasnt around anymore.

Whirlpool doesnt have that problem.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:42 am
My husband is an appliance repairman.

He always encourages whirpools and discourages LG, only for the reason that LG's replacement parts can be very difficult to find, and often they just dont make them anymore. He's had customers throw out an LG that was only a few years old, for a very simple problem to be fixed, that no one was able to fix because the part wasnt around anymore.

Whirlpool doesnt have that problem.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 4:56 pm
THank you for the helpful info!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:33 pm
Had terrible experiences with lg top loader (with no agitator) & got zero help from LG. Terrible repair ppl that they contract with.

The machine was amazing for 6 months, then it started leaving oily stains on my clothes.

The regular stains barely come out even with tide & then the center bottom wash plate fell off & needed to be replaced. The threads were gone so it was not able to be screwed back on.
The part was out of stock (3 years after purchase) and I had to find the piece myself - across the country & install it ourselves (or pay our own repairman.)

I would stay far away from lg washers/dryers.

imamother153

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:52 pm
I recently purchased the Maytag washer. For the price tag it’s a fairly good product. Downside is that the loads take at least 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour longer than the whirlpool.
2 stores told me about the lg repair issue. They said customer service is awful as well.
I’d get now a whirlpool if I’m able to.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:27 pm
I work an appliance repair place. it used to be hard to get LG parts, but now they have very good availability. I actually own an Lg washer and I love it. The only better part of the Maytag/whirlpool brand is that the company is a way better company with better customer service, and more parts availability. ex:if after 2 yrs the entire computer fails - Lg won't do a thing for you, and whirlpool will very likely help you out with repair, like cover just the part etc.
whatever u decide to go with - make sure u buy an extended warranty from a reputable company!! so you aren't stuck if something big goes wrong after 1 yr is up. I've seen it happen to many ppl

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 6:54 pm
I’m bumping this because dh just surprised me and ordered a new washing machine. I always thought that whirlpool was the way to go but he ordered an LG top loader since the store recommended. Does anyone have an LGtop loader for a while and is happy? Should I switch the order to a whirlpool before it ships?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:11 pm
I have and love my LG top loader. It has served us well for over 5 years KA"H.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:58 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I have and love my LG top loader. It has served us well for over 5 years KA"H.

Thank you!

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 9:47 pm
I have the newest lg front loader if that helps you.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 4:17 am
Lg top loader with or without the center agitator?
If it's without please do not buy it (see my post above)
It also is very harsh on clothes bec of the high spin & washplates.
Btw they contract out the service calls.... and good luck getting someone decent.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 4:20 am
I have top loading without the agitator.

I set up a custom cycle (see the manual) with extra water so it is easier on the clothes. You can also adjust the spin speed if you want. I have B"H never needed a service call in my 5+ years of heavy use (usually 10-15 loads per week, sometimes more).

It does sometimes get unbalanced which is annoying, but I've learned how to avoid it for the most part.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:39 am
bump

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 10:51 am
I ended up getting the lg top loader and I like it!
I’m using much less detergent (has a small detergent compartment) and my clothes are coming out very clean. My laundry actually smells better than before.
I haven’t figured out all the computerized tricks this machine does... but it’s washing my clothing very well. Also I love that it doesn’t have the agitator in the middle. I can put in a ton of clothes and it comes out great!
I have short arms and it’s a little hard for me to reach to the bottom when taking out the laundry. I keep a small step stool near the machine for that issue.
I recommend!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:02 am
I have a LG stackable washer and dryer.

I had to have it repaired twice in the few years I own it.
(I think less than 5 years)

I purchased the extended warranty, and did not find it to be worth the money.
With my first repair call, they refused one repair because they found lint, a coin, hair in my washer so they claimed I caused the damage.

With my second issue I used a different appliance repair company.
They charge you $150 out of pocket to dismantle the dryer in order to service the washer.
It also takes a week for them to send the tech out for a diagnosis-then another wait for the repair call.
By that time I had spent quite a lot of money at the laundromat.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry