Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey or vicinity girls high schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:32 am
Can anyone tell me what the high school options are in or near Monsey? I'm not looking for a yeshivish or chassidish school, so not Bais Rochel or Bais Shifra Miriam, not even Bais Yaakov of Monsey. What other schools are there either in the Monsey area or with transportation from Monsey?

Cookiegirl

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:23 pm
Maybe Ateres Bais Yaakov will work for you. They are in the Bais Yaakov line but have a bit more open minded clientele than the other Bais Yaakov's (BY Monsey, BY Ramapo, BY D'rav Hirsch, Pe'er, Shiras Miriam etc). Monsey doesn't really have a more left wing girls' high school- some girls travel to Bruriah in Elizabeth.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:45 pm
Can I pm you with more questions?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 2:01 pm
Ateres and Breuers

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Ateres and Breuers

Ma'ayanot is the girl's division of Heichel.

Be careful considering sending to Ateres and Breuers. Ask a lot of questions about the girls. Often when the other schools in Monsey are closed to girls, that's where they end up. The school's aren't always closed because ther girls are too modern.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

Be careful considering sending to Ateres and Breuers. Ask a lot of questions about the girls. Often when the other schools in Monsey are closed to girls, that's where they end up. The school's aren't always closed because ther girls are too modern.

I thought Heichel is pretty modern. Is Maayanot less modern? Is Ateres more modern than Maayanot? I don't know much about Breuers.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 2:55 pm
Manhattan high school has transportation from Monsey
So does Machon Ora in Passaic

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought Heichel is pretty modern. Is Maayanot less modern? Is Ateres more modern than Maayanot? I don't know much about Breuers.

You need to look at more than less modern or more modern. Often when girls are shut out of BY schools in Monsey, it is not because they are too modern.

Heichel is modern, but they have kids who want a solid education. The education is strong. The boys are not there because they are shut out of other schools.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:11 pm
Chassidish and yeshivish are 2 total different types of schools. Literally opposites. You said you dont want Bais Rochel or Bais Shifra Miriam, so you don't want a chassidish school.
There's a new yeshivish Bais Yaakov that just opened. Pa'er Bais Yakkov.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:27 pm
You need to look at more than less modern or more modern. Often when girls are shut out of BY schools in Monsey, it is not because they are too modern.

Heichel is modern, but they have kids who want a solid education. The education is strong. The boys are not there because they are shut out of other schools.

I am looking at more than just modern, I was just surprised when she wrote Ateres is too modern but I should look at Maayanot.

We are actually not looking for a very academic school, so I think it's out for that reason also.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:30 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Chassidish and yeshivish are 2 total different types of schools. Literally opposites. You said you dont want Bais Rochel or Bais Shifra Miriam, so you don't want a chassidish school.
There's a new yeshivish Bais Yaakov that just opened. Pa'er Bais Yakkov.

I know they're different, I thought both Bais Rochel and Bais Shifra Miriam are yeshivish, not chassidish. I would consider Viznitz and Satmar etc to be chassidish.

I heard Peer Bais Yaakov is pretty yeshivish, so that wouldn't work.

Does anyone have any info about Machon Ora?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:51 pm
By now Bais Rochel and Bais Shifra Miriam are typical chassidish. So you don't want chassidish or yeshivish, what do you want? You should change your original post.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 4:07 pm
What about BY of Passaic?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am looking at more than just modern, I was just surprised when she wrote Ateres is too modern but I should look at Maayanot.

We are actually not looking for a very academic school, so I think it's out for that reason also.

BY Passaic sounds like a good match.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know they're different, I thought both Bais Rochel and Bais Shifra Miriam are yeshivish, not chassidish. I would consider Viznitz and Satmar etc to be chassidish.

I heard Peer Bais Yaakov is pretty yeshivish, so that wouldn't work.

Does anyone have any info about Machon Ora?

Machon Ora is great, but also academic. Bais Yaakov of Passaic is a bais yaakov, but not as suffocating as BYM. Don't know anything about it, but what about the new school, Naaleh?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 4:13 pm

Ma'ayanot is not the girls division of Heichel. It is its own school, not a division of anything.
It is much more of the equivalent to a sister school for TABC.

Ma'ayanot is an amazing, academically rigorous school, which produces strong, intelligent, well educated, independent, college bound Bnot Torah who can hold their own in Gemara.
It is a Modern Orthodox school which is very proud to be Modern Orthodox. It is not less frum than any of the "RW". It is a different haskafah, which either is your ideology or not.
If that is what you are looking for, it is definitely something worth investigating if you are looking for a Bas Yaakov light, it is not it.

Naaleh is a new school in Teaneck which I believe is more like Manhattan HS for Girls. I hear great things but it is neither my haskafa nor do I have children who go there (or any girls still in elementary school).

Good luck with your high school decisions,
A very happy Ma'ayanot mom.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 4:31 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Ma'ayanot is not the girls division of Heichel. It is its own school, not a division of anything.
It is much more of the equivalent to a sister school for TABC.

Ma'ayanot is an amazing, academically rigorous school, which produces strong, intelligent, well educated, independent, college bound Bnot Torah who can hold their own in Gemara.
It is a Modern Orthodox school which is very proud to be Modern Orthodox. It is not less frum than any of the "RW". It is a different haskafah, which either is your ideology or not.
If that is what you are looking for, it is definitely something worth investigating if you are looking for a Bas Yaakov light, it is not it.

Naaleh is a new school in Teaneck which I believe is more like Manhattan HS for Girls. I hear great things but it is neither my haskafa nor do I have children who go there (or any girls still in elementary school).

Good luck with your high school decisions,
A very happy Ma'ayanot mom.

You need to look at the website because according to you they are confused and say they are the girls division of heichel.

I see you are defensive about MO being less frum. Leaving all haskafa questions aside for the moment, some of the schools mentioned well accept girls who have delinquent behavior.

OP you should ask your daughter's principal.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 5:00 pm
Thanks everyone, there's definitely a lot of good information here for me to start with. I will definitely check out the Passaic schools.

We are not MO, so Ma'ayanot is not an option.

How far is the drive to Teaneck? Is there transportation to Naaleh? Does anyone know anything more about that school?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 5:06 pm
I think it’s kinda weird that you’re just deciding to not consider sending your daughters to any Monsey high school. It’s really annoying and hard to have to travel to get to school in another city - you have to wake up earlier and get home later, it makes it harder to get together with friends, after school activities are stressful...

There are so many high schools in Monsey. How about Pe’er, Breurs (spelling?!), BY of Ramapo? BYM isn’t that suffocating - the staff is super yeshivish, but a lot of the students are not.

Do whatever you want; I just want to make you aware that you may be depriving your daughters of a simpler high school experience for no good reason.

ETA I just reread your OP and realized that you’re considering schools both in and around Monsey. Good for you! I hope this post helps you recognize the benefit of a Monsey school.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 5:13 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
I think it’s kinda weird that you’re just deciding to not consider sending your daughters to any Monsey high school. It’s really annoying and hard to have to travel to get to school in another city - you have to wake up earlier and get home later, it makes it harder to get together with friends, after school activities are stressful...

There are so many high schools in Monsey. How about Pe’er, Breurs (spelling?!), BY of Ramapo? BYM isn’t that suffocating - the staff is super yeshivish, but a lot of the students are not.

Do whatever you want; I just want to make you aware that you may be depriving your daughters of a simpler high school experience for no good reason.

ETA I just reread your OP and realized that you’re considering schools both in and around Monsey. Good for you! I hope this post helps you recognize the benefit of a Monsey school.

I would much prefer for her to stay in Monsey, for exactly those reasons. But I realize that I may have to look further so I want to know all the options. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics