Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos Getaway in the Catskills, $499 a couple!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:58 am
Guys, do you remember the shavuous scam thread following yom tov? I'd like to link it here but don't remember what it was called.

Einikel

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:19 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....63919

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:46 am
Einikel wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363919

Thank you Einikel!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:54 am
watergirl wrote:
That ad - do people really do this? Who designs these ads?

The people who take out the ads are the ones who design them. As long as they pay for their ad, the website will put it up.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:23 am
ra_mom wrote:
Guys, do you remember the shavuous scam thread following yom tov? I'd like to link it here but don't remember what it was called.

I've been on Shavuot and shabbat programs run by Yossi Zablocki many, many times. They're not high end, but we've always been happy and would continue to go. I don't believe a lot of what's written in that letter, and it also seems that the letter writer has poor business acumen.

I have no idea if he's running this program, but I see it's at the Hudson Valley Resort (which was recently purchased by a Brooklyn LLC, and I heard rumors that he owns it). If the people who own the resort are running the program, the price is understandable. You're cutting out the middleman who profits off of your booking, plus everything above cost price is pure profit. As it's a newly purchased property (not to be confused with a *new* property Very Happy), they could be running this at only slightly above cost to try to ramp up business and mark themselves as the new go-to place in the Catskills

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:43 am
People should do their research and find out who it is. If it's really being advertised by Zablocki then I would think he would put his name on it.
To me it looks like the other party is the one that's the scammer, and he's not putting his name on it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:17 pm
just put down the phone with secretary , she told me 3 heimsha ppl from lakewood (couldnt give me names bec she isnt the owner) bought off hudson valley resort. the price is 499 a couple only this week unless you reserve a different week this price gets locked in for u.
499.00 a couple includes toehamei , & 3 shabbos meals all buffet style & papergoods for 549 you get toehamei 3 shabbos meals melava malka & sunday breakfast & for 699.00 a couple you get dishes & waitered & the full food package this is for this week dont know ow much more they will go up in price

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
just put down the phone with secretary , she told me 3 heimsha ppl from lakewood (couldnt give me names bec she isnt the owner) bought off hudson valley resort. the price is 499 a couple only this week unless you reserve a different week this price gets locked in for u.
499.00 a couple includes toehamei , & 3 shabbos meals all buffet style & papergoods for 549 you get toehamei 3 shabbos meals melava malka & sunday breakfast & for 699.00 a couple you get dishes & waitered & the full food package this is for this week dont know ow much more they will go up in price

Did you call the hotel directly or the number on the flyer? Are they different numbers or the same number? Just want to make sure people are being careful and they get to enjoy a shabbos away.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:47 pm
the number on flyer

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:23 pm
chestnut wrote:
$60 for all shabbos food for 3 adults? You must have cooked most food or brought frozen from home?
Also, people are paying for the convenience of having a shul and a minyan, and gourmet food without having to prepare a thing.
Of course, those frum places are very expensive. I'm just saying you can't really compare a shabbos in a motel witlh a shabbos in a frum hotel.

I'm not comparing
I'm just saying I don't have a thousand to drop on a whim
Even 200 was difficult for me
But BH I still managed to give my son a wonderful weekend in the country

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:25 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Naturalmom, can you suggest inexpensive hotels?
Thanks

Budget Inn liberty ny

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:55 pm
Google the phone numbers for Hudson Valley Resort in Kerhonkson and call and tell me what you think.
I really hope this is legit and people should enjoy (heck, my family would enjoy going), but just want to make sure nobody ends up in a bad situation.
845-626-8888
844-265-1268

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:55 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Budget Inn liberty ny

Is there a minyan in walking distance

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:53 am
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz.....c3v57

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:52 am
I spoke to someone who is renting part of the grounds. This isn’t a fancy getaway. It’s meant for people who can’t afford the expensive programs but still want to go away. I’ve seen pictures of the rooms, it’s like going to a clean, older motel. It’s legit but don’t go with high expectations.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:51 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Is there a minyan in walking distance

Yes

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 9:44 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I spoke to someone who is renting part of the grounds. This isn’t a fancy getaway. It’s meant for people who can’t afford the expensive programs but still want to go away. I’ve seen pictures of the rooms, it’s like going to a clean, older motel. It’s legit but don’t go with high expectations.

Let me give a description

Since the the thread title said couple, I am only talking about couple.
For ideas with small children, start another thread.

We went to Liberty, which was about 2 miles from the minyan. It was perfect, since my son walks from BMG to West Gate area, every Shabbos.

There is a nice place, called Village Motel in Ellenville for about 69 a night. Its only a block or 2 away from the shul.

Seasons Lakewood, is 2 minutes away from the GSP exit.
After 2 on Friday, there are many 2 for 1 specials.
We got 2 sub sandwiches, a chicken wrap, a turkey wrap, 2 chicken salads, grape juice, rolls, a container of liver, a few pieces of salmon, a few slices of kugel , a package of cold cuts, a big bag of cherries , and some snacks for the drive up for about 70$..

There was left overs to take home.

Shabbos, after lunch we were sitting on the bench reading our magazines , then took a long refreshing nap, followed by shalosh seudos..

Motzi Shabbos, there is a pizza place in Loch Sheldrake or Swan Lake..

Sunday morning, I had a wonderful pancake breakfast at Kosher Inn in Woodbourne, before the trip and hike...

It was a fantastic weekend for next to nothing..
If you need fancier than that , then either you have the money, BH...
Or you need to stay home...

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:08 pm
anyone know what the crowd would be?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:52 pm
Natural mom, did you share one room?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:00 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote: