Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
BBQ upsherin amounts
Previous  1  2

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:43 pm
sky wrote:
Adults and teens for sure eat at least 2 main items at a bbq. Even older kids do - my 7 year old will eat a hot dog and hamburger every time we grill. So ra_mom’s numbers do sound good. When people hang around at a party they tend to eat more or take more food then they will eat.

I don’t know if I’d do rice.
What about starchy easy salads - like linguini salad or quinoa. Or a potato or pasta salad.

I agree. My kids are in general small eaters, but when it comes to BBQs they go ape. My six year old son can easily eat 3 hotdogs after a hamburger (and I make him stop!) Especially if its a long bbq....he just keeps alternating munching and playing

sky

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would do a quinoa salad or maybe tabouli. Any good recipes?

This recipe is easy and very good.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....26128

I also like the recipe in Bais Yaakov 2 cookbook but it can get expensive with the colored peppers and snap peas.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:47 pm
Can I come?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:56 pm
(Don’t get huge plates - the bigger the plates the more people load up at each trip).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:58 pm
sky wrote:
(Don’t get huge plates - the bigger the plates the more people load up at each trip).

I didn't get huge ones. I got regular size but not especially big. They are also square with a border so are smaller than usual.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:48 pm
I would do potato salad rather than French Fries because the fries aren't really good unless eaten while they are freshly cooked versus potato salad which tastes better the next day so you can cook it ahead of time. I don't generally see fries as a side as cookouts.

I would also think about what the mix of people will be - teenagers have pits for stomachs especially in a party setting.

I don't think you need rice AND corn on the cob. There are some really delicious corn salads that are easy to make and logistically can be made ahead and can be easier than shucking and boiling corn for a crowd. You could serve instead of a lettuce salad as the versions I have are tomatoes and corn. Coleslaw also goes nicely at a BBQ.

Fruit salad is a pretty classic dessert for a barbecue.

The good thing about chicken is that the left over grilled chicken is so delicious so you can use it up for the next week if there is anything left over.

Burgers and hot dogs can be frozen - they are generally fairly compact fairly easily frozen and perhaps a neighbor can lend you freezer space temporarily. Don't forget that hamburger meat can be repurposed easily into meat loaf or spaghetti or other dishes requiring chopped meat. And hot dogs can be cut into soups - I even have a very kid friendly recipe for dough baked with hot dogs :-).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:55 pm
Amarante wrote:
I would do potato salad rather than French Fries because the fries aren't really good unless eaten while they are freshly cooked versus potato salad which tastes better the next day so you can cook it ahead of time. I don't generally see fries as a side as cookouts.

I would also think about what the mix of people will be - teenagers have pits for stomachs especially in a party setting.

I don't think you need rice AND corn on the cob. There are some really delicious corn salads that are easy to make and logistically can be made ahead and can be easier than shucking and boiling corn for a crowd. You could serve instead of a lettuce salad as the versions I have are tomatoes and corn. Coleslaw also goes nicely at a BBQ.

Fruit salad is a pretty classic dessert for a barbecue.

The good thing about chicken is that the left over grilled chicken is so delicious so you can use it up for the next week if there is anything left over.

Burgers and hot dogs can be frozen - they are generally fairly compact fairly easily frozen and perhaps a neighbor can lend you freezer space temporarily. Don't forget that hamburger meat can be repurposed easily into meat loaf or spaghetti or other dishes requiring chopped meat. And hot dogs can be cut into soups - I even have a very kid friendly recipe for dough baked with hot dogs :-).

I I am going to do french fries, because we do not like potato salad. And most kids like french fries over potato salad also. I am probably going to skip the rice but I will do corn on the cob. I am having a huge fruit platter for dessert in addition to some other cookies etc. I am doing coleslaw, and I will also have a salad bar. Regarding making the corn. I don't think it will be too hard to boil up 30 or 40 corns. I have 2 huge pots.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:22 pm
Knishes

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:15 pm
why dont you grill the corn?

boat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:28 pm
Curious how you plan for this... What if it rains? Who does the grilling? When do you start up the BBQ?

I've considered doing BBQ for my upsherin but got stumped with these logistics.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:34 pm
dankbar wrote:
why dont you grill the corn?

I don't like grilled corn at all and I need my grill for everything else.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:36 pm
boat wrote:
Curious how you plan for this... What if it rains? Who does the grilling? When do you start up the BBQ?

I've considered doing BBQ for my upsherin but got stumped with these logistics.

I didn't buy anything yet. Gonna go Wednesday or Thursday. So far the weather seems ok for what I am planning but if it will change I will do another kind of party inside. We are planning on grilling most before and putting in Sternos. I already asked two ppl to help throughout the party if more is needed. I also put up a small tent so the sun won't be blazing in the food.

egam

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:33 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Mazel Tov! If the 50-70 people include kids, I think you need way less or will have LOTS of leftovers. Most kids will only eat 1 hot dog OR burger and fries and since the adults also have chicken and salad/sides, will likely not have more than one burger.

From my experience some kids do eat a lot at a BBQ, and those who don’t tend to have big eyes and pile a lot on their plates even if they don’t end up eating it.

boat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn't buy anything yet. Gonna go Wednesday or Thursday. So far the weather seems ok for what I am planning but if it will change I will do another kind of party inside. We are planning on grilling most before and putting in Sternos. I already asked two ppl to help throughout the party if more is needed. I also put up a small tent so the sun won't be blazing in the food.

Sounds like you have it down to a science. Good for you! And mazel tov of course.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:00 pm
boat wrote:
Sounds like you have it down to a science. Good for you! And mazel tov of course.

Thanks!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:50 pm
Mazal Tov. I've been to a Sheva brochos BBQ and they prepped everything earlier in the day and then served it buffet style. There was no actual grilling happening during the party. We actually all ate indoors because it was too hot outside. (They set up lots of folding tables and folding chairs). It was very basic but so delicious and fun. They served watermelon slices and a variety of cookies and homemade bars for dessert .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics