Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
At what age

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:45 am
Can I teach my daughter to respect MY body a little more. She's 22 months old and steps on my feet in a way that hurts, and happily jumps on my legs when I'm sitting in bed, stuff like that, innocent but hurts (me).

Should I just ignore it and wait until she's older and can understand more? Advice?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:53 am
sounds so familiar. Mine is 18 month has 0 issue bitting and hitting me. I always tell him in a stern voice we do not hit, or bite.
Anyone with better advice would also appreciate

yerushamama

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:42 am
When one of my kids or a child I babysit for does such a think, I move them off of me, and tell them that it isn't okay to hurt people. I move away from them if they try to climb back up on me - they usually get it pretty quickly.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:52 am
Start now (I started earlier) it can be said lovingly or playfully but it can definitely be said

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:10 am
Nisht schleppen mommy

teachkids

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:05 am
Start now. Calmly sauy "Ow! That hurts Mommy!" And either pick her up and put her on the floor or pick her up and move her somewhere closer to your torso (depends on your parenting style)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:21 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
sounds so familiar. Mine is 18 month has 0 issue bitting and hitting me. I always tell him in a stern voice we do not hit, or bite.
Anyone with better advice would also appreciate

My daughter isn't doing something "naughty" like hitting or biting though. She just literally walks all over me, and usually it's okay if her weight is evenly distributed on me, but if she steps the wrong way and all her weight is on a little piece of my skin then it hurts. It's hard for me to explain so probably even harder for a baby/toddler to understand.

Spaghetti7

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:29 pm
My daughter also does this. At this age, I don't think they're not really aware that other people can get hurt and have feelings etc. It's time to teach :-) When she steps on my toes and jumps on me and climbs on me in ways that hurt, I just say "That hurts me. Please don't do that" and move her off. Toddler age is the age of repetition... they do learn eventually!

merrygold

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:30 pm
You're right OP, she doesn't mean to hurt you and doesn't see it as such. I would just say "ouch" and move her off. When done calmly and consistently, she'll eventually get the point that A. It hurts B. Not to do it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics