Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tried and true ways to get rid of cradle cap?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:16 pm
Baking soda make a paste with water.

Leave on head a few minutes before rinsing with warm water and shampoo

momsrus

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can u use head and shoulders on a 5 week old??

I used it on. 8 week old but my sons cradle cap was getting infected and extremely itchy. I had no choice

I would not use it for purely cosmetic reasons.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:02 pm
Anything oily/conditioner, and then a quick comb. If it's smelly, then do it soon - you don't want anything breeding on her scalp.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:09 pm
We tried tons of stuff and eventually someone came home from gan with lice...so we accidentally found out that the lice comb worked better than anything else. Although anything that worked at all seems to take out the hair, but I think it's already doomed from being trapped by the clumps anyway.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:10 pm
momsrus wrote:
I used it on. 8 week old but my sons cradle cap was getting infected and extremely itchy. I had no choice

I would not use it for purely cosmetic reasons.

I researched and found contraindications, but it's been a long time so don't remember where. I waited til he was 2 years old or something and one treatment worked for months. But not as well as a lice comb did with another kid later on.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:10 pm
I only lost some hair when using the aggressive oil soak + combing method for adult psoriasis. Why is it different for a baby?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:18 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I only lost some hair when using the aggressive oil soak + combing method for adult psoriasis. Why is it different for a baby?

That's why I used selsun blue. I didn't want to scrape my baby's scalp and leave it red and bald

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:18 pm
Double post

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:25 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
That's why I used selsun blue. I didn't want to scrape my baby's scalp and leave it red and bald

A gentler version of the oil scraping method is not painful and does not cause any hair loss, but there is no guarantee of effectiveness. A long soak with olive oil under a shower cap, followed by a gentle 15 minute massage can help remove the worst of it.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:56 pm
I used whatever oil I had in the kitchen, massaged it in, and washed hair using whatever baby shampoo I had. I had to keep on doing it but it kept it under control.
Careful never to put baby to sleep with shower cap or plastic head cover-bad things happened.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:00 pm
Thanks everyone. I'm going to treat with oil again and use a lice comb to get rid of the pieces.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:04 pm
Olive oil!

We make our baby smell like a salad!

It sits there for ten, fifteen minutes. And then wash out. Gently comb. Some comes out. Don’t irritate skin and get everything off. After a few treatment it’s clear. And then I still do it one more time.

Wallah! It’s gone.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:08 pm
Prevention is better than cure.

My babies never get cradle cap. I brush their hair once a day w a brush from birth very well.

momsrus

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:12 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Prevention is better than cure.

My babies never get cradle cap. I brush their hair once a day w a brush from birth very well.

That’s nice.

It’s not always preventable.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:23 pm
I don't wash their head too often. And I peel it off with my nails and it never comes back usually.

My Dr told me it comes from washing the head too much. So far that worked for me. I had 5 babies.

krembo

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:57 pm
This is the type of lice comb you need: https://www.amazon.com/Nit-Fre.....r=8-3

Rub some conditioner in the baby's scalp and hair, let sit a few minutes, then comb gently, starting at the scalp and pulling up all the way through the hair.

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:50 pm
I used head & shoulders shampoo and it was gone ,but I used it with my toddlers.
look into using it for that age

good luck!

momsrus

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:57 pm
chipmunks wrote:
I researched and found contraindications, but it's been a long time so don't remember where. I waited til he was 2 years old or something and one treatment worked for months. But not as well as a lice comb did with another kid later on.

Again, I had no choice. My baby had lumps on his head from swollen glands due to cradle cap. There’s cradle cap and there’s cradle cap

Cradle cap that’s just ugly and not harmful I would not use head and shoulders.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:14 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Did you try baby oil yet? That's the main way I've heard. Dr also said we could use Selden blue shampoo (not head and shoulders though)

Why Selsun but not Head and Shoulders?

btw be careful with the combing and picking- picking/too much combing caused my son to get a bald patch for a while. When we did oil and gentle combing (of just the pieces that had already separated from the skin) it worked fine. It did come back though.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:19 pm
The reason that it keeps coming back is because it's a problem that comes from the inside with an external manifestation. It can be from food allergies or fungus. Removing allergens from mom/baby's diet and treating for fungus usually gets rid of it for good.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics