Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby name you love but will never use?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:15 pm
I love the names Tehila and Ayelet but probably won’t get to use them because we’re past our childbearing stage now.

I love the meaning of Betzalel, but I didn’t think it would work so well in our English-speaking country.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yehuda...I think it's such a strong beautiful Hebrew name but in my Yiddish speaking community it would automatically become Yidel or Yidela instead...so... no thanks.

Same! Except I had to give the name and everyone around calls him by various nicknames. I'm fighting a battle that's already lost....

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:17 pm
Hila.

Elnatan. I think it's a gorgeous tanach name, but in my community no one gives "gorgeous tanach names" Sad

Aviyam. I love the way it sounds but Aviya/Aviyam wasn't a great guy, killed some people, so... no.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:21 pm
Rappel wrote:
Really???? What community???? Were they born to religious parents?

Born in Israel. Not dati leumi, not full blown chareidi.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:21 pm
I love the names Elana (lani or lana for short), and michal, and for boys Meir, aron... my family is really into naming after specific people and the names I would have to use are nice but not my favorites. Oh well.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:30 pm
I have an Ayala named after a Hinda. We switched it to the Hebrew version.

An Ayal (male) or an Ayala (female) are deer.

A Tzvi is a gazelle.

כאיל תערוג על אפיקי מים is a beautiful passuk from Tehillim. Naftali was also compared to an Ayala in Birchas Yaakov.

I love the name!

gamanit

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:32 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
For some reason I recently fell in love with the name chana. And it happens to be a family name and I'm due with a girl very soon. But dh has a bad association so I'm not pushing it.

You may still give the name. We had the same thing with my younger son. I wanted a certain name which my husband had bad associations with. We ended up (after much deliberation) giving the name. He now loves the name since his primary association with it is his adorable son.

What's funny is when I read the thread title the name that popped into my mind is Atara. I don't recall ever even giving the name much thought before.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:49 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Sarah. It's my favorite but I can't use it for a weird convoluted reason.
Yehuda/Yehudis. I'd love to use either or both, I love the meaning and the characters, but DH thinks they are silly names: "literally naming your kid 'Jew.' "
Shmuel. My first name is Chana and DH thinks it is corny.
Shoshana. This is actually a contender for a theoretical future baby, but it's sort of "modern" for our community and our rav might encourage us to use Raizel instead.
Miriam. Can't use it because it is a close relative's name.
Ovadia. I love it for the meaning but DH thinks it is too Sefardi.

Yehuda actually means thanks, not Jew. As Leah said, Hapaam Odeh Es Hashem.

My sister actually named her fourth son Yehuda for that reason.

My great-great grandmother's name was Rosa. I have a niece named Shoshana, but my girls actually love the name Rosy. They are planning to use it, should it work out in their futures B"EH. Life is interesting in different communites, huh?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 3:56 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Yehuda actually means thanks, not Jew. As Leah said, Hapaam Odeh Es Hashem.

My sister actually named her fourth son Yehuda for that reason.

My great-great grandmother's name was Rosa. I have a niece named Shoshana, but my girls actually love the name Rosy. They are planning to use it, should it work out in their futures B"EH. Life is interesting in different communites, huh?

I know it means thanks. Like I said, I love the meaning. But then we as a people are the Yehudim, so that is his association.

And actually, now you've got me curious. Are Raiza/Raizel/Roiza/Rosa all the same name? I've met a couple of frum Rosas/Rosies, but within my specific community I've only met Raizys and Roizys.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:01 pm
I've always loved the name Alexei since I watched a documentary about the Romanovs when I was younger. I have all girls, so we named our dog Alexei instead lol.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:07 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I have very controlling parents (I knowwwwwwwwwww I'm in therapy already learning how to deal with them and their crazy demands). So I kinda have to use family names, even though I dont like most of them. I'm pregnant now, and I'm hoping it's a girl because I dont like the boy name I'm left with.

Interesting. I havea very controlling parent and therefore I did NOT use the name the parent wanted.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:08 pm
Shalva

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:12 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I know it means thanks. Like I said, I love the meaning. But then we as a people are the Yehudim, so that is his association.

And actually, now you've got me curious. Are Raiza/Raizel/Roiza/Rosa all the same name? I've met a couple of frum Rosas/Rosies, but within my specific community I've only met Raizys and Roizys.

I have a Yehuda and we gave the name for its meaning in the Torah- hapa'am odeh es Hashem.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:13 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Interesting. I havea very controlling parent and therefore I did NOT use the name the parent wanted.

They're very manipulative and passive aggressive and basically verbally abusive. My coping mechanism, which isn't very healthy to say the least, is avoidance. So I avoid all conflict and try to keep things quiet. The way for me to do that is to use family names, as opposed to the names I actually like. My oldest was named for my husband's grandparent (who had recently died), and years later I STILL dont hear the end of it because it was "my turn".

jd1212

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:24 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I know but I don't know why I would name my kid a deer.

It’s the same as Tzvi/Hirsch or Aryeh/Leib

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:25 pm
Tehilla
Nava

My husband doesn’t like them and they’re a bit too modern for us, but I love them.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:25 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I have an Ayala named after a Hinda. We switched it to the Hebrew version.

An Ayal (male) or an Ayala (female) are deer.

A Tzvi is a gazelle.

כאיל תערוג על אפיקי מים is a beautiful passuk from Tehillim. Naftali was also compared to an Ayala in Birchas Yaakov.

I love the name!

I hope I didn't offend anyone with kids named Ayala or Tzvi! I'm just very finicky when it comes to name meanings. What resonates with some people may not with others. For example, when dd was born my life was in turmoil, so I named her something like Nechama or Menucha because that is what I connected with at the moment. Does that make sense? But I do love the name and the pesukim people mentioned, so I think I will look into it when needed. Thanks!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:42 pm
My son is levi halevi. He has 2 other names but we call him Levi and no one ever bats an eye. I think it is cool that he has the same name as his ancestor.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:33 pm
My last son had his bris the morning of erev Shavuos. I didn't have anyone to name after, didn't like the name dovid, but really loved Boaz. My husband loved it too, and we figured we had it settled. My husband told his parents... who were absolutely horrified. I'm not sure why. I love his story in Megilas Russ. In the end we just couldn't do it. It wasn't worth the battle. I was too vulnerable and emotional post baby to fight this one out. I'm still a little sad about it though, and hope to use the name if we ever have another boy.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:24 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yehuda...I think it's such a strong beautiful Hebrew name but in my Yiddish speaking community it would automatically become Yidel or Yidela instead...so... no thanks.

I have a Yehuda. And have lots of nephews with that name too.
Theyre all called Yiddy.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names