Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby name you love but will never use?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 6:45 pm
I would have loved to use use the Avraham (Avi) but it was not meant to be. So far none of my children have used that name.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:45 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
That was DH's reason for not liking it..maybe it's the same guy lol

*lol* if he also vetoed Tzuriel because that guy was literally insane we'll know they went to the same yeshiva. Wink

At least that was just a random suggestion from the baby name book. Unlike Naftali I didn't really have a strong feeling for Tzuriel.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:58 pm
Leah.

It’s the only grandmother’s name we can use, going back to my children’s great-great grandmothers. My husband and I both had great grandmothers named Leah with a second name. But we can’t give either one of those second names. So we can do Leah and both sides will think we had them in mind.

But when I looked up its meaning, I learned that Leah means “weak, sickly”. Not sure I want to give my child a name like that.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 9:14 pm
Love the name:
Atara
Kinneret
Leviya

First 2 are too Israeli for my American family. And Leviya is very rare.
My favorite boys name is Akiva.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 10:15 pm
Love Menucha but one of my children has the nickname "nucha" (don't ask me how - her name has nothing to do with it) so I think its weird.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 2:43 am
I know someone who's son is called Sinai (in Hebrew, with the emphasis on the second syllable - Israeli pronounciation). Love it. But way too unusual for my DH.

I also love the name Chevron but too hard for English speakers to pronounce and a little too settler-y.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:43 am
There are some nonjewish names I like which I won't use:

Marie
Charlotte
Anabelle
Maèva

And for a boy
Luca
Louis
Julius

salt

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:58 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
My son is levi halevi. He has 2 other names but we call him Levi and no one ever bats an eye. I think it is cool that he has the same name as his ancestor.

Your last name is Halevi, or he is a Levite?
Former is a bit much. Latter sounds fine to me.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:44 am
Chayalle wrote:
I like the name Aliza, but my grandmother's name is Fraida, and some say it's the same name in Hebrew. My grandmother should live to 120! I wouldn't use the name.

That's one of my sisters names, both of them. Her dil's name is Aliza, so she was told to be called Fraida because that's her jewish name anyway. The other one is her legal name. It's complicated.

My favorite names were Avital, Tuvia, and Pinchas. Avital and Pinchas I just liked and Tuvia is because when I was younger, less than 10, I kind of had a boyfriend named Tuvia Smile . My kids aren't named after anybody, but I forgot that I liked the name Avital when my dd was born and then the rest were boys. My dh didn't like either of those boys names, so they were out also.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:18 am
DVOM wrote:
My last son had his bris the morning of erev Shavuos. I didn't have anyone to name after, didn't like the name dovid, but really loved Boaz. My husband loved it too, and we figured we had it settled. My husband told his parents... who were absolutely horrified. I'm not sure why. I love his story in Megilas Russ. In the end we just couldn't do it. It wasn't worth the battle. I was too vulnerable and emotional post baby to fight this one out. I'm still a little sad about it though, and hope to use the name if we ever have another boy.

My husbands middle name is Boaz. He's named after his grandfather but was also born before shavuos. He's officially called by his first name but many people call him Boaz. We are chassidish btw so its a very uncommon name by us.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:46 am
salt wrote:
Your last name is Halevi, or he is a Levite?
Former is a bit much. Latter sounds fine to me.

Last name is an L name. OP said she won't use Levi for a son since they are Leviim.

I guess that name is used fo aliyos, but anyway he has 2 other names so its not just Levi Halevi.

I also think its fine.

I know (sefardi) families who surname is a name eg Menashe, and they also call thier son Menashe, since Menashe is a family name. (thats why it is their surname)

It gets better with double barrelled surnames. My friends surname was say, David-Samuel and she had a cousin with the same surname called Dovid Shmuel David-Samuel. (it was 2 different names but you get the idea) I think he only goes by one of those names...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 12:12 pm
Elisha. It’s my FIL’s name, may he live and be well.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 12:39 pm
Hinda. Somehow I like the name. But we live in a Hebrew speaking community in Israel so Yiddish names would stick out totally. I also think that name is rather out of fashion among Yiddish speakers. And I'm unlikely to have another baby.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 12:46 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yehuda...I think it's such a strong beautiful Hebrew name but in my Yiddish speaking community it would automatically become Yidel or Yidela instead...so... no thanks.

My Yehuda is Yidy and legally he is Yehuda. I love it.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:43 pm
Shira. Such a beautiful name but it’s my legal name so I can’t give it to my kid! My ‘real’ name is Yiddish so my parents put Shira on my birth certificate, as it is much more in line in our circles, and that’s what I’ve been called my whole life. Halachically not my name but totally wasted since no one in the family will use it since that’s what I’m called!

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:21 am
OutATowner wrote:
I know but I don't know why I would name my kid a deer.

But so many names are animals

Dov
Yehuda
Devora
Ayala
Zev

etc.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:54 am
My favorite girl name is Nechama but I have a Menachem and it would be too weird

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:49 am
LovesHashem wrote:
But so many names are animals

Dov
Yehuda
Devora
Ayala
Zev

etc.

Yehuda isn't an animal. Yehuda means thanks.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 5:43 am
It's funny, I had to make a compromise with my dh no names that sound like "o" because he says "oiy". So the names I can't use are names like:

Moshe
Tzipporah
Devorah (I love that name!)

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:21 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Yehuda isn't an animal. Yehuda means thanks.

You're right. I meant Aryeh.
I'm getting my names mixed up.

Maybe cuz I know someone named Yehudah Aryeh and I was thinking of him as I wrote the post.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names