Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it true that in the past women used to live with in laws?
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:33 pm
Yes, but it was temporary living conditions only. Never intended to be long term.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:38 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Yes, but it was temporary living conditions only. Never intended to be long term.

Not in my grandparents shtetl. That's how large families lived.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:49 pm
I was responding to the little house post. And those shanties were tiny. Probably 8 by 10, if that. They knew by winter time at the latest they needed better conditions, which always included more rooms and better walls. I don't think the Ingalls lived in those shanties for more than a summer. And when Laura boarded it was just for a couple of months.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:10 pm
Living with one or the other sets of parents wasn't something from past generations. It was still very, very common when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. It wasn't necessarily seen as permanent, but it often went on for 5-7 years. Likewise, grandparents often moved in with families for extended periods.

In fact, thinking back to some of the popular sitcoms of my youth, the multigenerational living arrangements were frequently part of the backdrop. All in the Family, for example, comes to mind.

My parents grew up in a neighborhood that was home to a university and medical school, and everyone who had parents nearby lived with them after marriage. The idea of delaying marriage for such a trivial reason as school wasn't even considered.

While no one wants to go back to the days of the shtetl or the frontier, the modern insistence on "boundaries" goes a bit too far. Lots of people rattle around in enormous houses, and it would be both cost-effective and socially beneficial for young couples to have a small basement or attic apartment with the kinds of help that come from parents.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:11 pm
Yes but I doubt you had many living arrangements with 3 generations sleeping in the same room in the time you are referring to.
Huge difference between a basement apartment and shared bedroom.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:26 pm
Nowadays you often see the reverse: elderly Bubbes or Zeidies coming to live with their children and grandchildren.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:11 pm
My dh became friends with a bukharian guy and I got to know his wife and the biggest shock to me was her parents and grandparents involvment in every step she takes. She grew up in her grandparents house. She lived with her inlaws for the 1st few years. She no longer lives there but her parents, inlaws and all 4 sets of grandparents call a few times a day. It can be annoying being with her because she doesn't ever ignore the phone!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:04 am
Fox wrote:
Living with one or the other sets of parents wasn't something from past generations. It was still very, very common when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. It wasn't necessarily seen as permanent, but it often went on for 5-7 years. Likewise, grandparents often moved in with families for extended periods.

In fact, thinking back to some of the popular sitcoms of my youth, the multigenerational living arrangements were frequently part of the backdrop. All in the Family, for example, comes to mind.

My parents grew up in a neighborhood that was home to a university and medical school, and everyone who had parents nearby lived with them after marriage. The idea of delaying marriage for such a trivial reason as school wasn't even considered.

While no one wants to go back to the days of the shtetl or the frontier, the modern insistence on "boundaries" goes a bit too far. Lots of people rattle around in enormous houses, and it would be both cost-effective and socially beneficial for young couples to have a small basement or attic apartment with the kinds of help that come from parents.

It may be coming back into style, I know a few couples living with their parents while their in Medical/dental school.
I totally agree with you.
In these situations, it just makes sense.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics