Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Difficulty with Adjustments

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:21 am
Dd3.5 has a lot of difficulty with adjustments, transitions, unexpected things, non-routine, that kind of thing. She tends to be more nervous, sensitive, cautious. For example, they had a photographer in gan the other day, and she didn't want her to take her picture. The ganenet eventually convinced her and went with her and she did it, but it took a lot of encouragement. She was the only child who had an issue with it. To get her to start using the toilet was also a challenge- I basically left it up to her and eventually she wanted to. So that also worked out fine in the end, but more difficult emotionally than typical I think.

So the question is if there's anything to be done for this (some type of therapy?) and if it's worthwhile to try? Everything is fine on a regular basis, but I would love to make things easier for her when these things do come up. She also starts big girl gan after the summer and tends to get nervous when I speak about it, so I'm extra worried for her now.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:03 am
It does sound like she's the sort of child that needs her schedule and struggles to deal with changes or surprises-A child like that usually responds well to a visual timetable-where they can see the schedule and you can map out changes for her-encourage her to understand sometimes we have surprises and reassure her that is okay-try and pre-empt changes by warning her before what is going to happen
It might be worth taking her for assessment-it could be a sensory issue or something else. A good OT should be able to support her
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers