Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Any ideas what to give my friend who were going for shabbos

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:59 am
She’s hosting our family with 3 little kids. She’s pretty high end and I don’t want to spend $50 but do want to give something very nice and presentable. Any ideas?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:01 am
A throw blanket from bed bath and beyond.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:04 am
A nice tablecloth

Butterfly

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:22 am
A nice chocolate platter assembled in a nice dish.

Those can be bought ready in most candy stores, some supermarkets as well, and come in a variety of sizes and prices.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:26 am
Wine? Flowers?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:38 am
Wine
Flowers
Chocolate/candy arrangement
Fruit arrangement
Potpourri or diffusers

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:09 am
I wouldn't give a tchotchke or other home item unless there is something very specific to her personal taste. This is unlikely.

As others have posted, I would give a gift of food of some kind - probably not wine because people can get picky about wine but chocolate is chocolate and you can get a gorgeous assortment Very Happy

It's probably too late at this point and might not be workable for you but I had a good friend who was extremely wealthy - I am talking millions and millions of dollars. When I would go to her house, I would bring something I had made - generally a cake or an assortment of cookies or a cake and brownies. I'm a pretty good baker and the quality of my stuff was better than a fancy bakery - and I am always shocked at how much high quality baked stuff costs - even the mediocre stuff isn't cheap.

And also probably not feasible at this point but you could also bring a basket of stuff for her to make Sunday breakfast. For example, I have a very good pancake mix that I mix up and put in a pretty jar with instructions (you add the wet ingredients obviously). I package with some nice preserves; maybe some tea or coffee - whatever comes to mind.

You can also put together nice soup mixes with instructions in pretty jars. I've done that as presents and people have always liked them.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:15 am
Just bring SOMETHING. We recently hosted a family for shabbos and motzei shabbos, all meals through Sunday afternoon. We don't know them, they were trying out our community. They brought a bottle of wine but it was not presented to us as a thank you, the husband brought it out during the meal, asked for an opener and wine glasses and drank his wine over three meals. I dont understand guests like these.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:30 am
My friend invited me to, with my 4 kids, I’m planning on bringing wine, chocolate, and a nosh platter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics