Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Charnie Vs Trany
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 5:55 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
It is and should be Trany/Trani the way it is. All of Skver doesn't have to change the spelling of their kids names because it became an offensive word. They are naming their kids after their Rebbetzin Trana. (I think the Vilna Gaon's mother was Trana or Trayna also)
If someone wants to take offense, it's totally not their problem.
I mean, I'm chassidish but not as insulated as Skver and I didn't know about transgender till I was married at least a year or two... they don't know, and don't care - it's not part of their life!
Skver school in Monsey is "Bais Trany"

BTW, the R is pronounced with a rolling R as in reish, and the a is aaaah as in hot.

What is so significant of the English spelling of "Trany" that it can't be modified to better reflect its pronunciation?

Wouldn't that be good all around? Don't people prefer to be called by their names, not some botched up version of the name?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:02 pm
My great Grandmothers name was Try-nah. Apparently it actually came from Katrina, and I have heard that a female relative of the Vilan Goan had the same name.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:05 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
What is so significant of the English spelling of "Trany" that it can't be modified to better reflect its pronunciation?

Wouldn't that be good all around? Don't people prefer to be called by their names, not some botched up version of the name?

If you tell that to Siobhan and Phoebe, they probably won't agree.

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:06 pm
At least now all the Trannys will know why all the emails they send keep going to the spam folder.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:17 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
If you tell that to Siobhan and Phoebe, they probably won't agree.

Those names when mispronounced are not offensive.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:20 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Those names when mispronounced are not offensive.

So what? They could become offensive too in the future.

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:21 pm

And therefore...?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:24 pm

And?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:34 pm
giselle wrote:
And therefore...?

Something could hypothetically become offensive in the future. So we shouldn't worry about giving our children names that are extremely offensive to large portions of the population now, that will forever mark them outside of their very insular communities.

Particularly here, where we're discussing what is apparently a bad transliteration, and where a more accurate transliteration wouldn't be problematic.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:43 pm
The Trany I know doesn't pronounce it trawn-y like dawn or Tronny so those spellings don't make sense. She pronounces it Trani like rhymes with Chani so a diff spelling would be Trahny which looks ridiculous.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
The Trany I know doesn't pronounce it trawn-y like dawn or Tronny so those spellings don't make sense. She pronounces it Trani like rhymes with Chani so a diff spelling would be Trahny which looks ridiculous.

Trunny rhymes with Sunny

Einikel

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
It is and should be Trany/Trani the way it is. All of Skver doesn't have to change the spelling of their kids names because it became an offensive word. They are naming their kids after their Rebbetzin Trana. (I think the Vilna Gaon's mother was Trana or Trayna also)
If someone wants to take offense, it's totally not their problem.
I mean, I'm chassidish but not as insulated as Skver and I didn't know about transgender till I was married at least a year or two... they don't know, and don't care - it's not part of their life!
Skver school in Monsey is "Bais Trany"

BTW, the R is pronounced with a rolling R as in reish, and the a is aaaah as in hot.

AFAIK the given name is actually Trani

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:18 pm
Einikel wrote:
AFAIK the given name is actually Trani

All the Tranis I know are actually Trana. (I have many Skverer cousins .)

Librarian

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:19 pm
Pronounced Trahhhny

Einikel

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 pm
cnc wrote:
All the Tranis I know are actually Trana. (I have many Skverer cousins .)

Interesting because I know a Skverer Trani who told me the name is Trani

creditcards

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:24 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
It should be spelled Trawny like Dawn.

I don't know a single Trany that pronounces it the way you say it.
They pronounce it Tronny, as in Totty or Tryny. As in try.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:55 pm
pesek zman wrote:
That’s exactly the point. It’s a DEROGATORY name! It’s almost up there with the N word. If someone called a transgender person a tranny it would be highly offensive

Shhh! Don't tell Blaire White!

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:58 pm
creditcards wrote:
I don't know a single Trany that pronounces it the way you say it.

If you don’t have a Brooklyn accent, it works well.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:59 pm
Trani is totally different than tranny.

Like cake vs kike.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:08 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

How is the vowel in Tronny a different pronunciation than in Chani? Chani would technically be pronounced, Chonny. But I agree that looks weird.

My name is Chana and non Jews often have no idea what to do with the /a/, they try to make it a long /a/ like chain-a, rhymes with Shayna.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics