Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where in NY?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:15 pm
My husband just got a job in the city (bh!). We are looking for places to move now. We are both from Brooklyn, but it's getting really expensive. We are mainstream yeshivish, I went to a mainstream BY school, and he went to a mainstream yeshiva. We are in our mid 20s.
Where are some places we should consider that are our type, not crazy expensive, and not far from the city?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:16 pm
monsey area,
5t but expensive- woodmere, n woodmere, inwood (hard to find houses)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:18 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
monsey area,
5t but expensive- woodmere, n woodmere, inwood (hard to find houses)

Monsey is a little far.
What are the young crowds in woodmere, n woodmere, and inwood like?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:18 pm
clifton nj is full of frum professional ppl who work in city

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:19 pm
Passaic?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:22 pm
Oh maybe passaic/Clifton! Didnt think about that. What's the difference? I thought they were older baalei tshuva?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh maybe passaic/Clifton! Didnt think about that. What's the difference? I thought they were older baalei tshuva?

Not at all, tons of young families with your background. Search older threads

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:39 pm
Maybe Linden NJ

srbmom

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:46 pm
One of family members just moved to Clifton and loves it. Sounds like lots of young families are moving there, definitely look into it.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 pm
Definitely tons of "normal" Brooklyn-raised transplants settling in Clifton and commuting to the city. Another option worth looking into is Edison.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:00 pm
Depending how yeshivish you are there is Bergenfield.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Passaic has a nice crowd! I know a few families living there. One is in her low 20’s..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:54 pm
Thanks everyone!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:09 pm
Based on how OP describes herself and the upbringing of herself and DH, I don't think Bergenfield would be the best fit for them.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:13 pm
linden is very MO. There is now a chassidish community as well but a yesheivish person wouldn't fit in in either community.

Passaic/clifton depending on the part might be a good option for you. Please be aware that YKP is very large and owned by one person, a lot of people love that one person but you have to know yourself. That doesn't work for everyone...

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband just got a job in the city (bh!). We are looking for places to move now. We are both from Brooklyn, but it's getting really expensive. We are mainstream yeshivish, I went to a mainstream BY school, and he went to a mainstream yeshiva. We are in our mid 20s.
Where are some places we should consider that are our type, not crazy expensive, and not far from the city?

I'm not sure what really expensive means to you, but just in case it's in your ballpark, mill basin starter homes are significantly cheaper than Flatbush, and some yeshivish families have moved into flatlands as well, which is in the 500s.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:05 pm
To echo previous posters north woodmere inwood Passaic and Edison are your best bets. Passaic and Edison the houses are considerably cheaper than inwood or north woodmere.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:18 pm
While essentially one community, there are pretty significant differences between the “crowds” in Passaic and Clifton (obviously with some overlap).
I say it’s still one community in part because there is one central community school where many/most people send. But hashkafically, culturally, and socially, there are big differences between the two areas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating